OK State proves it's better fit for SEC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 26, 2004
Sure they write the article after they win the Baseball Regional. Would he have written it if OSU won? They were so happy when they beat UT in football also.

Nov 6, 2010
Still think I'd like the B1G better, but there is something to be said for a regional rivalry like that with fan bases that just enjoy the events.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
My heart tells me we should stay in the Big 12. My head tells me that we have to find a way to get into another conference so that we can compete from a financial standpoint. It will be interesting to see what happens long term. I'm not even convinced that P5 conferences will exist a few years from now. We could end up with one big super conference that leaves the rest of the NCAA behind.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
My heart tells me we should stay in the Big 12. My head tells me that we have to find a way to get into another conference so that we can compete from a financial standpoint. It will be interesting to see what happens long term. I'm not even convinced that P5 conferences will exist a few years from now. We could end up with one big super conference that leaves the rest of the NCAA behind.
Staying the Big 12 and making a couple of playoff appearances could do wonders for that.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Being invited to the SEC would be the greatest thing to ever happen to this university. It’ll never happen though. We are a great fit, way better than Missouri, but we offer nothing in terms of tradition or market value.

Compared to staying in the big 12, it would be like getting a Boone sized gift every 3-4 years. We are on path to not even be able to compete financially in any sport by not being in the SEC. Reality of the situation.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Being invited to the SEC would be the greatest thing to ever happen to this university. It’ll never happen though. We are a great fit, way better than Missouri, but we offer nothing in terms of tradition or market value.

Compared to staying in the big 12, it would be like getting a Boone sized gift every 3-4 years. We are on path to not even be able to compete financially in any sport by not being in the SEC. Reality of the situation.
We certainly have more tradition than Missouri. They are there because of markets. And I hate it, because we absolutely should be in that spot, but the only thing that might get them out is the Big Ten, which doesn't seem to be expanding.

If we continue the trends we're on competitively and financially, we're going to be in big trouble. Long-term, the Big 12 is a death sentence.

We pride ourselves on "fourth-most NCAA championships," but that's no longer true. Texas passed us in total NCAA team championships this year. Penn State tied us with their wrestling title. Arkansas and North Carolina are on our heels. We're already being left behind because we are standing still. This is going to get worse with the reduced media attention on the conference because of the coming departures. Football playoff or not, we cannot stay in what's left of the Big 12 and hope to have a nationally-relevant athletic program.

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Nov 6, 2010
Who TF really knows what's going to happen in 2029?
Yea, looking at this through the lens of the current conference structure is pretty silly IMO. There are going to be way more structural changes over the next 10 years than the conference realignment/expansion activity we've been seeing. I don't see how a two tier system doesn't evolve, and I think there are only about 24 schools that have the resources to be in that top tier. And I think rather than kicking schools out of the SEC or B1G, there will be some sort of minimum standards to be met that the Miss States of the world just can't reach, like minimum average attendance, etc.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Who TF really knows what's going to happen in 2029?
Very true. No one knows for sure what is going to happen by 2029. The P5 conferences might not even exist by then, and if they do, they may look very different.

That being said, there's already a chasm forming between the SEC/B1G and the rest of the collegiate world. The B1G will distribute 85% more revenue than the Pac 12 this year. The worry is that this chasm will continue to grow as the TV money gets bigger.

It's my understanding that some schools subsidize their athletic departments to help them compete. We may have to start doing the same thing here if the Big 12's conference distributions don't keep up.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
And most of the conference will still be glorified MAC.

The TV money bubble is going to burst at some point.
And/or the big schools in the B1G will start trying to take a bigger piece of the pie and schools like Indiana and Maryland will have to start taking cuts to stay in the conference.