Oklahoma State/Iowa State 2:30 on Fox

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
O/U 50.5

So they think ISU scores 27.5 points, which would make them the highest scoring team against OSU. More than Texas, Baylor, and Tulsa, which all lead ISU in total offense (yds) and 3rd down conversions. Texas and Baylor lead ISU in scoring. But sure why not...

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I've seen ISU as a 4.5 to 5.5 pt favorite.
I’m not doing matchups on a Sunday but that’s a dome scratcher. Just a 10 second glance shows our offenses are almost exactly the same in points but the defense is GLARING. Almost 20 points. Be nice and give them 7 points for home ( which I never would) and we still should be favored by 7-9. Weird.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Iowa State is a very good solid team with tons of retiring starters from last years conference runner up…that being said in this whole four year run of there’s they have beaten us once and haven’t beaten us in Ames since 2011 I believe…why they are favored is dumb but it’s so good for us. Go Pokes tame the cardinal bird in a whirlwind…

I think the odds makers think we are due a letdown…problem is we haven’t played great on offense yet snd it’s more likely we finally do that than to have a let down.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I was looking at the conference rankings and both the Pokes and the Cyclones are tied for points against in conference games. Cyclones also have a slight edge on in points against regular season. I admit I haven’t watched them play yet this season. So do they have a pretty decent defense? Has anyone watched them play?

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
I was looking at the conference rankings and both the Pokes and the Cyclones are tied for points against in conference games. Cyclones also have a slight edge on in points against regular season. I admit I haven’t watched them play yet this season. So do they have a pretty decent defense? Has anyone watched them play?
gave up 31 to Baylor
Gave up 7 to Kansas
Gave up 20 to Kansas State

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
From what I watched of the ISU/KSU game:

Iowa State Defense - play their 3-3-5 of course, will sometimes play a 4-2-5 also. #1 is their most athletic safety, he makes tackles down at the line of scrimmage. Their other safety’s are not as athletic and KSU attacked them hard with their slot receivers and won most of those battles. KSU had some awful drops and penalties that killed their drives. ISU hardly got any pass rush on Thompson when they only rushed 3. #9 is their best pass rusher. They would get pressure with 4-5 rushers but Thompson is still injured and was so limited he could barely move. ISUs corners did not play particularly well either from what I saw, they like to play off coverage and limit the big plays (which is not what our offense does anyway), I think Tay will have a big day catching 8-10 yard passes. Deuce Vaughn was fairly efficient but KSU likes to run him sideways as opposed to forward so I think Warren will have a better day then Deuce did.

On offense ISU likes to run a player in motion every play. Like usual the 2 big TEs (88 & 11)are the main passing threats but they have a freshman (13) slot that has stated to emerge as a favorite target. They like to split both TEs out with a WR and throw screens to the WR. Purdy likes to rollout but does not rollout to run. Breece Hall had 197 on 30 carries, but had a 75 yard run on the first play of the game , so 122 on the other 29 carries.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
ESPN has ISU at a 81.5% chance to win. Seems kind of high.
I do not understand the ESPN win probability. It says it’s “According ESPN Football Power Index.”

Which is fine but then you look at the

“ESPN College Football Power Rankings”

It has OSU at #8 and Iowa St NR.

So your “Power Index” gives a NR team an 80% chance of winning a game over a top 10 team in your “Power Rankings?”

It makes zero sense. I’m not saying ISU isn’t a great team and that they don’t actually have an 80% chance of winning. Just odd that ESPN would rank them in such a way that’s inconsistent with the power index.

Oct 29, 2016
US
I do not understand the ESPN win probability. It says it’s “According ESPN Football Power Index.”

So your “Power Index” gives a NR team an 80% chance of winning a game over a top 10 team in your “Power Rankings?”

It makes zero sense. I’m not saying ISU isn’t a great team and that they don’t actually have an 80% chance of winning. Just odd that ESPN would rank them in such a way that’s inconsistent with the power index.
I'm guessing they're also including the "eye test," as well. Tho I wouldn't really worry about it. Rankings are utterly meaningless and trivial. As long as we keep winning, everything will work out. I mean, I wouldn't expect OSU to win every game left on the schedule. I can see us losing 2 more, maybe another. Even if that's the case, who really thought we would've been 6-0 right now? I certainly didn't. I'm enjoying every second of it, and won't allow trivial nonsense to impede on the experience.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland

Power Rankings is independent of the FPI. They are an opinion based ranking where FPI is purely computer based. This year FPI is all kinds of messed up. They have ISU at 9, Texas at 12 and Baylor at 24. Florida is still ranked high and Clemson is 10 along with all kinds of other issues.

From ESPN: "The Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 20,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule. Ratings and projections update daily."