Olympic soccer qualifying, US in must win situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
That's a bit better. Agree to disagree about the overhaul. I don't see any improvements, and until there's evidence of that rather than hearsay I don't see any reason to believe.

I agree about the WC, but one thing that's painfully obvious that my buddy harps on is the best teams play possession soccer, Americans and other teams that try to rely on their athleticism play kick and chase. It's like watching a 6th grade team vs a high school team. I'm not saying that means we lose 3-0, but it looks horrendously sloppy compared to the Canarinhos, Red Fury, Three Lions, etc.

I can't wait for Champs League today. Skipping class to check out Rob vs. Messi.
Changes take time. How long has JK been in charge? He's already made some minor tweaks to the youth system, but you can't overhaul a system overnight. When Arena and BB were coaching, I felt like we needed some international blood to run our program. I finally got that wish when JK was hired (many others felt the same way).

And have you seen JK's last two games (Slovenia and Italy)? We did a much better job at possessing. It's in JK's style to possess and not just kick it up the field. We played defend, dump and chase for years and years under Arena and BB. We had a mentality that we could counter on anyone, and sometimes it worked. Now, we're trying to flip the style completely. Did you honestly think we could change our style in the first 9 months under JK?

Oct 16, 2005
Golden, Colorado
Changes take time. How long has JK been in charge? He's already made some minor tweaks to the youth system, but you can't overhaul a system overnight. When Arena and BB were coaching, I felt like we needed some international blood to run our program. I finally got that wish when JK was hired (many others felt the same way).

And have you seen JK's last two games (Slovenia and Italy)? We did a much better job at possessing. It's in JK's style to possess and not just kick it up the field. We played defend, dump and chase for years and years under Arena and BB. We had a mentality that we could counter on anyone, and sometimes it worked. Now, we're trying to flip the style completely. Did you honestly think we could change our style in the first 9 months under JK?
Never said that. A) Can you really say we are playing possession soccer? I'll bet you 20 bucks we didn't out-possess Italy. I don't even have to look, I know we didn't. What are these minor tweaks?

Again, show me facts from the USDL or somewhere that show we are actually starting to do this.

My buddy did this senior sem two weeks ago and researched for 5 months with no signs of changes (Obviously, this was after JK).

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
Never said that. A) Can you really say we are playing possession soccer? I'll bet you 20 bucks we didn't out-possess Italy. I don't even have to look, I know we didn't. What are these minor tweaks?

Again, show me facts from the USDL or somewhere that show we are actually starting to do this.

My buddy did this senior sem two weeks ago and researched for 5 months with no signs of changes (Obviously, this was after JK).
Where did I say we out-possessed Italy? I said we did a much better job at it....

OSUndefeated

Federal Marshal
Apr 25, 2011
That's a bit better. Agree to disagree about the overhaul. I don't see any improvements, and until there's evidence of that rather than hearsay I don't see any reason to believe.

I agree about the WC, but one thing that's painfully obvious that my buddy harps on is the best teams play possession soccer, Americans and other teams that try to rely on their athleticism play kick and chase. It's like watching a 6th grade team vs a high school team. I'm not saying that means we lose 3-0, but it looks horrendously sloppy compared to the Canarinhos, Red Fury, Three Lions, etc.

I can't wait for Champs League today. Skipping class to check out Rob vs. Messi.
There was a thread on here in the past few months talking about how the Youth Development clubs are getting much more serious. I tried to find it but I can't.

Here's another example of some changes occurring.

http://m.ussoccer.com/News/Development-Academy/2011/12/111203-TA-Advisor.aspx

Nothing monumental, but things are changing.

GIA

Greenhorn
Feb 10, 2012
The reason I say that is, we will never catch up to the countries that actually have programs in place from when they are 8 years old. We have nothing like that and aren't moving towards a youth system that funnels them to the national squads (No, youth city soccer doesn't count).
so what you are saying is because soccer or futbol has been the national sport of such countries as England , Brazil, Argentina, italy, France, spain, etc, etc since the dawn of man that the U.S should stop playing the sport, not sure what to say but this may cover it:whistle::huh::huh::facepalm::facepalm::poo::poo::confused::rolleyes: :popcorn: