Olympics

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Uncalled for.

This is why I said freedom rocks. This thread is filled with varying degrees of opinions on these olympics. None wrong. Furthermore, regardless of the stance, the athlete or any of us, have the right to express our opinion. I know I do. Even if I’m in complete disagreement with that opinion, I still love the fact~that they could freely express themselves. And that applies to the dingleberry calling out Biles.
I don't get why anyone would be upset with what she did. Her head was clearly not 100% and she made a decision that she felt gave the team the beat chance to win. "Selfish" would have being staying in just so she could try and be a hero and end up costing the team more than just the gold. Likely would have cost them the podium.

Sep 22, 2011
I don't get why anyone would be upset with what she did. Her head was clearly not 100% and she made a decision that she felt gave the team the beat chance to win. "Selfish" would have being staying in just so she could try and be a hero and end up costing the team more than just the gold. Likely would have cost them the podium.
yeah, if you watch her performances, she did not have it for whatever reason, she made the best decision IMO she wasn't better than the next up right now and did the right thing for the team

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
First, who is Charlie Kirk? Why is he someone anyone should listen to?

Charlie Kirk is an American conservative activist and radio talk show host. He founded Turning Point USA (an action group that promotes conservative ideals and values for High School and College Students) with Bill Montgomery in 2012, and has served as its executive director since. He was listed on the 2018 Forbes 30 under 30 list in Law & Policy

He also was instrumental in the Students for Trump movement

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
What are the tv ratings doing for the olympics so far? In theory they should be doing monster numbers. That’s probably the best barometer for how non political types feel about the politicization of the games.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
What are the tv ratings doing for the olympics so far? In theory they should be doing monster numbers. That’s probably the best barometer for how non political types feel about the politicization of the games.
From a quick google search, ratings are down from 2016 (just like everything else on TV) but when looking at 2021 they aren't bad.

Aug 16, 2012
Slanted to involve politics, but if you read through the commentary, the numbers are poor.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nbc-olympics-coverage-spurs-advertiser-anxiety

Down 39% from Rio 2016 games when comparing first Saturday broadcasts
Down 56% from London 2012 games when comparing first Saturday broadcasts
Down 49% from 2016 Rio games when comparing the first Monday night broadcasts
Down 53% from London 2012 games when comparing first Monday night broadcasts

Opening ceremonies had....12.6 million viewers, the worst since 1988.

Stated viewership is even worse in the prime demographic of 18-49.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Slanted to involve politics, but if you read through the commentary, the numbers are poor.

They need to quit doing so many short stories on a select few athletes and instead show more sports. Yes, NBC, it is ok to show a sport that doesn't have an american in the final.

Canada has way better coverage of the summer games than we do.

Mar 11, 2006
said she was selfish and childish as well.

This is the AG OF HER OWN STATE!!

This tweet to me shows 1) The Deputy AG didn't understand the situation when Bilas bowed out; 2) He is a dude willing to attack a young person for their personal decisions that don't affect him. Both are bad.

As @oks10 correctly stated above, "Her head was clearly not 100% and she made a decision that she felt gave the team the beat chance to win." The comparison between Biles decision and Kerri Strug's brave vault are not valid. Biles was able to bow out and be replaced by an able teammate. Strug was not allowed someone to replace her. She had to go again and do the vault.

The Biles situation really shows what some young elite athletes can go through. Likely this was the first time in her incredible career that she faced adversity and uncertainty. We expect to see our young athletes put their disappointment aside and come back stronger. For example, like what another 24-year Olympic GOAT, Katie Ledecky, did last night. She lost and was humbled in the Olympics, but then showed her gumption, grit, and determination and came back to win the 1500m swim last night.

I don't fault Biles for not being able to do what Ledecky did. I am sure she will learn how to overcome adversity, but I think she made the right call and say she needed a time-out and to allow another teammate to help the U.S. in the competition. Plus she didnt walk out and pout -- she stayed on the floor and was actively rooting for and supporting her teammates.

EDIT: to correct Biles

Last edited:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
This tweet to me shows 1) The Deputy AG didn't understand the situation when Bilas bowed out; 2) He is a dude willing to attack a young person for their personal decisions that don't affect him. Both are bad.

As @oks10 correctly stated above, "Her head was clearly not 100% and she made a decision that she felt gave the team the beat chance to win." The comparison between Bilas decision and Kerri Strug's brave vault are not valid. Bilas was able to bow out and be replaced by an able teammate. Strug was not allowed someone to replace her. She had to go again and do the vault.

The Bilas situation really shows what some young elite athletes can go through. Likely this was the first time in her incredible career that she faced adversity and uncertainty. We expect to see our young athletes put their disappointment aside and come back stronger. For example, like what another 24-year Olympic GOAT, Katie Ledecky, did last night. She lost and was humbled in the Olympics, but then showed her gumption, grit, and determination and came back to win the 1500m swim last night.

I don't fault Bilas for not being able to do what Ledecky did. I am sure she will learn how to overcome adversity, but I think she made the right call and say she needed a time-out and to allow another teammate to help the U.S. in the competition.
Biles* ;)

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
I could be wrong but I think she came into the games unprepared either mentally or physically, performed accordingly and withdrew to protect her brand. She stands to make millions in endorsements and speaking engagements etc and bailed to prevent damage.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
I could be wrong but I think she came into the games unprepared either mentally or physically, performed accordingly and withdrew to protect her brand. She stands to make millions in endorsements and speaking engagements etc and bailed to prevent damage.
She was hyped to a peak Tiger Woods / Michael Jordan level coming into this and clearly that was a mistake. The media did the same thing to Phelps and while he could back it up in the pool it clearly messed with his head as well. There’s a huge difference between having 82+ games or 30+ tourneys per year to prove your greatness versus one shot in 4 (or this case 5) years.

As far as protecting her brand, what she’s likely doing (either intentionally or unintentionally) is changing it. She will probably be more of a mental health advocate than athlete going forward.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
She already has a Net worth over $6 million. It is a very real possibility she was trying to protect her brand

May 31, 2007
OK & CA

I think people forget that over 90% of the population doesn’t care about the politics of either side. And if you hit them over the head with it within their entertainment consumption a decent chunk will go elsewhere. I think those numbers are indicative of that effect.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
She was hyped to a peak Tiger Woods / Michael Jordan level coming into this and clearly that was a mistake. The media did the same thing to Phelps and while he could back it up in the pool it clearly messed with his head as well. There’s a huge difference between having 82+ games or 30+ tourneys per year to prove your greatness versus one shot in 4 (or this case 5) years.

As far as protecting her brand, what she’s likely doing (either intentionally or unintentionally) is changing it. She will probably be more of a mental health advocate than athlete going forward.
She is also still dealing with being sexually abused as well by a Dr. on the gymnastics team..which has all came out since the last Olympics. I'm sure she prob gets asked every day by the media what Nassar did to her etc and bring those horrible memories up all the time too.
1627498693492.png

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
She is also still dealing with being sexually abused as well by a Dr. on the gymnastics team..which has all came out since the last Olympics. I'm sure she prob gets asked every day by the media what Nassar did to her etc and bring those horrible memories up all the time too.
View attachment 91199
Yeah I imagine it was a mistake for her to give it a go given everything that she was going through. As I read more about it, apparently there were many clear warning signs that this was a real possibility (maybe even a probability). But I’m sure the money was just too good to pass up. If you look at Biles, Osaka, Matthew Wolf, etcetera it seems that mental health issues are becoming more and more prevalent in sports.