Olympics

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Yeah I imagine it was a mistake for her to give it a go given everything that she was going through. As I read more about it, apparently there were many clear warning signs that this was a real possibility (maybe even a probability). But I’m sure the money was just too good to pass up. If you look at Biles, Osaka, Matthew Wolf, etcetera it seems that mental health issues are becoming more and more prevalent in sports.
My wife is pretty into gymnastics and follows the sport regularly. Simone hadn't been focused for the better part of the last 2 years. She really had no business being on the team in the first place with the headspace and performances she was putting out. She has been trying to out do just about everyone in history and have moves named after her. The pressure has been immense in that regard. There were clear signs at the Olympic qualifiers. She broke down on the floor when she wasn't hitting her routines. But she still went through on "difficulty" scores, not execution.

I understand she was in a tough situation, but to bow out during the actual event when your mind hasn't been right for a while is a tough pill to swallow.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
My wife is pretty into gymnastics and follows the sport regularly. Simone hadn't been focused for the better part of the last 2 years. She really had no business being on the team in the first place with the headspace and performances she was putting out. She has been trying to out do just about everyone in history and have moves named after her. The pressure has been immense in that regard. There were clear signs at the Olympic qualifiers. She broke down on the floor when she wasn't hitting her routines. But she still went through on "difficulty" scores, not execution.

I understand she was in a tough situation, but to bow out during the actual event when your mind hasn't been right for a while is a tough pill to swallow.
It never looks good when you cash in the way she did and then something like this happens. I think many want to (and will) give her a total pass on this but I don’t have a problem with the people that want to criticize her. If you don’t want or don’t like immense pressure (which is 100% understandable) then don’t put yourself in a position to compete at something like the olympics (much less be the face of it). She’s a smart and talented person who could do many things for a living that wouldn’t involve being in that kind of pressure cooker. Especially since she’s been there, done that, and has nothing left to prove. But like I said earlier, the money was just too good to pass up.

Mar 11, 2006
The 2nd best comeback I’ve ever seen in Olympic swimming just happened. American Bobby Finke was in 5th place for most of the 800m swimming race.
The photo below is Finke starring his last turn and last 50m. As you can see, he was tied for 4th, 2 full bodies behind the 3 leaders. Swam a phenomenal last 50m meters and won.
https://twitter.com/cbssports/status/1420562533245755392?s=21

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
The 2nd best comeback I’ve ever seen in Olympic swimming just happened. American Bobby Finke was in 5th place for most of the 800m swimming race.
The photo below is Finke starring his last turn and last 50m. As you can see, he was tied for 4th, 2 full bodies behind the 3 leaders. Swam a phenomenal last 50m meters and won.
https://twitter.com/cbssports/status/1420562533245755392?s=21
Yeah, that was pretty amazing to watch. Dude came from out of nowhere... Everyone had been topping out at like 1.6-1.7 m/s and this guy just waits and flies past at 1.8 m/s.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
It never looks good when you cash in the way she did and then something like this happens. I think many want to (and will) give her a total pass on this but I don’t have a problem with the people that want to criticize her. If you don’t want or don’t like immense pressure (which is 100% understandable) then don’t put yourself in a position to compete at something like the olympics (much less be the face of it). She’s a smart and talented person who could do many things for a living that wouldn’t involve being in that kind of pressure cooker. Especially since she’s been there, done that, and has nothing left to prove. But like I said earlier, the money was just too good to pass up.
here is one of the many problems in our country...people don't comprehend/recognize mental health problems...maybe she 'snapped' on that last vault, maybe she has been struggling with her mental health for years, maybe 95% of people have NO EFFing CLUE what has been going through her mind or even have a clue as to how mental health effects people...come and talk to me when you know someone close to you puts a bullet in their head...cast the first stone!! Walk a mile in their shoes!! Get an EFFing Clue!!

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
here is one of the many problems in our country...people don't comprehend/recognize mental health problems...maybe she 'snapped' on that last vault, maybe she has been struggling with her mental health for years, maybe 95% of people have NO EFFing CLUE what has been going through her mind or even have a clue as to how mental health effects people...come and talk to me when you know someone close to you puts a bullet in their head...cast the first stone!! Walk a mile in their shoes!! Get an EFFing Clue!!
You clearly haven’t been following the discussion. I’ve already pointed out the growing presence of mental health issues in major sports. She’s been having mental health issues for a few years now. She didn’t just “snap”. Truly recognizing mental health would be not to put a person in this state of mind under this kind of microscope and into this kind of fire. But instead everyone focused on cashing in on her. Ignoring warning signs is precisely why “someone close to you puts a bullet in their head”.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
Wow. Hyperbole much?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
said she was selfish and childish as well.

This is the AG OF HER OWN STATE!!

I don't understand these people. She's represented the USA wonderfully in the past and is phenomenal. She had an issue of focus(for whatever reason), that if she continued, she could have caused the team to not medal at all, and could even have hurt herself.
She did the right thing for her AND the team. Giving them the best chance going forward.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I could be wrong but I think she came into the games unprepared either mentally or physically, performed accordingly and withdrew to protect her brand. She stands to make millions in endorsements and speaking engagements etc and bailed to prevent damage.
She was hyped to a peak Tiger Woods / Michael Jordan level coming into this and clearly that was a mistake. The media did the same thing to Phelps and while he could back it up in the pool it clearly messed with his head as well. There’s a huge difference between having 82+ games or 30+ tourneys per year to prove your greatness versus one shot in 4 (or this case 5) years.

As far as protecting her brand, what she’s likely doing (either intentionally or unintentionally) is changing it. She will probably be more of a mental health advocate than athlete going forward.
That already started before this games with her advocacy for abuse victims and establishment of a gym for girls.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Honest question...
Is stress brought on by an overwhelming desire/need to succeed considered a "mental issue"? At what point does pressure to perform become a mental issue?

Again, honest question. You hear "mental issues" a lot and I am looking for an accepted definition as to what that constitutes.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Honest question...
Is stress brought on by an overwhelming desire/need to succeed considered a "mental issue"? At what point does pressure to perform become a mental issue?

Again, honest question. You hear "mental issues" a lot and I am looking for an accepted definition as to what that constitutes.
This isn't just normal stress. She was a sexual abuse victim also. Read about what happened with that Dr.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Honest question...

I liken it to writers block. Writers block has been a known thing for 100's of years. I'm sure there are several on this board who have dealt with it in College when you had a big paper due and the pressure of time was getting to you and even though you know the material, know what you want to write about, you just can not produce/write it to match the idea that is in your head. The stuff you put on paper isn't the same way you are thinking about it mentally and then anxiety begins and anxiety at a certain point DOES become a mental issue.

Now writers block itself isn't a mental issue, but it is the culmination of other pressures and issues in the persons life that manifest itself into their work. And those other issues typically are related and interwoven mental issues that lead to performance issues and anxiety attacks.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Honest question...

A simple way of thinking of it is the stress curve. Too little stress and you don't have enough pressure to push yourself, too much and you get in your own head. Elite athletes often have a higher inflection point, but it's still the same process. Once stress pushes too much past the inflection, it can be hard to come back without help because you start failing or at least performing worse, which only increasing the stress/anxiety. All of this taxes and changes the cognitive systems you need. So, we typically define it as not just being distressed or upset, but when that kind of stress (or other emotion) interferes with your ability to perform important life tasks.

Human-Function-Curve.jpg

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
and not like a one time victim either. Like a years long victim
The way they often train these girls (many now women) is basically abuse. Pretty sure Simone was one where she had to train a lot of the year away from family. Breaking them away from their families was actually part of the Karolyi method for training if you watch any of the deep dives on their training. As young as elementary school, they were hammered from what they ate, how the trained, if they showed pain.... Nassar isn't the only problem with USA gymnastics.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Love seeing the Videos from the family and friends back home

https://twitter.com/Gia_Vang/status/1420731173714726912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1420731173714726912%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsweek.com%2Fsunisa-lee-parents-wildly-celebrate-gymnastics-gold-heartwarming-video-1614268

Mar 11, 2006
Love seeing the Videos from the family and friends back home

https://twitter.com/Gia_Vang/status/1420731173714726912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1420731173714726912%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsweek.com%2Fsunisa-lee-parents-wildly-celebrate-gymnastics-gold-heartwarming-video-1614268
that is my favorite part as well. I told my wife I wished that NBC would do side-by-sides of the event and the family/team watch parties.

Anyone watch the 4K feed of Olympic Golf yesterday? It was visually stunning.

Aug 16, 2012
This isn't just normal stress. She was a sexual abuse victim also. Read about what happened with that Dr.

Well aware of that, and was going to note that she has had good-to-stellar performances since that occurred as well as since the abuse became public knowledge, but just became aware that there was a recent publication of an FBI report on investigation problems that brought the whole thing back to the forefront for people like her.