OSU at DBU Tuesday

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Josh in postgame:

"It was 'one of those games' weather wise for long balls."

"We made a couple of mistakes early in the game that was uncharacteristic."

"Played it down to the last pitch. Give that kid credit."

"Doesn't do a whole lot of good to hang your head, it is what it is--a hard fought game that you came up short in."

"There's still things to keep pushing, keep correcting."

"We could have done Mitchell a favor by playing better defense. He got stronger over the last 2 innings."

Mentioned all other pitchers brought something, except Ure "took his foot off the gas" in the 3 run inning.

"McLean made some good pitches, there were some pitches that were apparently an eyelash out of the zone."

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I agree with what you're saying about McLean throwing a slider instead of a fastball--but if you look, Adkison was set up outside, and the pitch ended up breaking arm side over the inner half. He missed his target by at least a foot, maybe 18 inches. No one was calling for a pitch over the inner half to a righty. Part of that is on McLean.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
I agree with what you're saying about McLean throwing a slider instead of a fastball--but if you look, Adkison was set up outside, and the pitch ended up breaking arm side over the inner half. He missed his target by at least a foot, maybe 18 inches. No one was calling for a pitch over the inner half to a righty. Part of that is on McLean.
Yes, he missed. He missed bad and hung it. But the point is he had not thrown a slider to that point and that is not his strength. If you are going to get beat, you get beat on your best pitch, not a secondary one, especially when you haven’t thrown one, and especially not the first pitch. Just a poor job of pitch calling.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Yes, he missed. He missed bad and hung it. But the point is he had not thrown one to that point and that is not his strength. If you are going to get beat, you get beat on your best pitch, not a secondary one, especially when you haven’t thrown one to that point, and especially not the first pitch. Just a poor job of pitch calling.
No disagreement here.

Jul 26, 2021
Jenks
Spot on, but that kind of makes my point of why even take that chance with the situation. Just dial up the fastball and give your defense a chance.
Fun game and I enjoyed it listening to it. Just cut deep there at the end. Also, thanks for all your updates Chaiman, they are appreciated!

Dec 21, 2008
What pisses me off is the kid postgame says “they’ve been throwing me sliders all night so I sat on it and hit it out”. Freaking throw a fastball 4” off the plate pitch one. Snap a slider when he’s guessing. Or throw straight heat and locate it. How many losses have been blown saves? Gotta be at least half our losses?

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Looking back on the Meola incident, it’s very concerning that he was so slow coming back from the first concussion and had such a severe reaction tonight. I’m guessing his season may be over and quite possibly playing days in jeopardy. I sure do hope the kid sits out, takes the time, makes a full recovery and can get back on the diamond again.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
What pisses me off is the kid postgame says “they’ve been throwing me sliders all night so I sat on it and hit it out”. Freaking throw a fastball 4” off the plate pitch one. Snap a slider when he’s guessing. Or throw straight heat and locate it. How many losses have been blown saves? Gotta be at least half our losses?
I can only find 3 blown saves, 2 by Martin to OU, and tonight. Does seem like more.

CowboyVenus

An orange light stuck in the crimson darkness
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2010
Norman, OK
I can only find 3 blown saves, 2 by Martin to OU, and tonight. Does seem like more.
I could see justification for frustration even though by definition they weren't blown saves in a few other games: Sam Houston: we had a runner on third in the bottom of the 9th with one out and fell a part in the 10th. Gonzaga: we had runners on second and third in the bottom of the 9th with one out and then lost by way of a solo shot in the 10th.
Oral Roberts: left bases loaded in 8th, and had runner on second and went KK in the 9th.

These are a little more nitpicking:
TCU: gave up unearned run in top of 9th, then lost by 1 as a result.
BYU: I don't see why they didn't pull Mederos with the bases loaded in the 6th. He was already at 22 pitches in the inning which included two walks and a hit batter--dude had lost his mojo.

I understand that they can't be perfect but these five and the three you mentioned were frustrating.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I could see justification for frustration even though by definition they weren't blown saves in a few other games: Sam Houston: we had a runner on third in the bottom of the 9th with one out and fell a part in the 10th. Gonzaga: we had runners on second and third in the bottom of the 9th with one out and then lost by way of a solo shot in the 10th.
Oral Roberts: left bases loaded in 8th, and had runner on second and went KK in the 9th.

These are a little more nitpicking:
TCU: gave up unearned run in top of 9th, then lost by 1 as a result.
BYU: I don't see why they didn't pull Mederos with the bases loaded in the 6th. He was already at 22 pitches in the inning which included two walks and a hit batter--dude had lost his mojo.

I understand that they can't be perfect but these five and the three you mentioned were frustrating.
Technically, not "blown saves" like you said, but yes, games that were lost in the late innings with poor execution. Most of those were earlier in the season. Last night was a bit of a throwback to that. Record could definitely be even better than it is.

Still in great shape overall, though, despite that.

Last edited: