OSU Baseball in Big XII Tournament thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 25, 2008
Anyone have the name of the tv guys? Listening to them while at the game and they are cracking me up
Joey Zanaboni

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...-big-12-tournament/ar-AAXHKWW?ocid=uxbndlbing

Zanaboni, whose colorful calls and over-the-top similes have gained national attention over his first two months in Fredericksburg, including a profile in The Washington Post, received a call last week from ESPN’s VP of production, Phil Orlins. Orlins explained that analyst Keith Moreland, who was scheduled to call the Big 12 baseball tournament for the network, was recovering from open heart surgery, and two other fill-in candidates were unavailable. The job was Zanaboni’s if he was interested.

“I hate missing games in the middle of the season, because you kind of feel like you miss a little bit of the narrative,” Zanaboni said in a phone interview, “but it’s a lifelong dream to be on ESPN and I’m jacked for this tournament.”

In the game describing Baylor's center fielders catch ... "Scooping like a beat reporter at Baskin Robbins".

In yesterday's game "Locking cockin rockin restocking ... hammering it like a whack-a-mole game."
and
""He's in there like swimwear, scoring with the cleats on their feet."

Sep 9, 2013
WVU, despite building the best baseball stadium in the country and building a top 3 wrestling facility, continues to suck at both.

not sure why WVU has struggled to win titles in sports after such heavy investments in facilities and coaching staffs.

my hat is off to oklahoma state for winning titles in multiple sports.
baylor too. i mean what does baylor have that WVU doesnt?

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
WVU, despite building the best baseball stadium in the country and building a top 3 wrestling facility, continues to suck at both.

not sure why WVU has struggled to win titles in sports after such heavy investments in facilities and coaching staffs.

I'd say BU has access to Texas recruiting

Aug 13, 2005
OKC

Relatively large number of WV fans at the game today. How does WV have so many fans that travel. Baylor is less than 100 miles away and not many Baylor fans at the game today. TCU is only 10 miles away and not many showed up yesterday.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2006
Relatively large number of WV fans at the game today. How does WV have so many fans that travel. Baylor is less than a 100 miles and not many Baylor fans at the game today. TCU is 10 miles away and not many showed up yesterday.
Relatively large number of WVU graduates have to leave West Virginia to find decent jobs. Texas has a lot of those.

Nov 6, 2010
i dont think baylor has ever out recruited WVU in any sport. texas recruiting or no.

they do manage to hire exceptionally well, though, and have gotten key transfers in hoops and football.
Now that I live in Omaha, this reminds me of recruiting conversations I have with Husker fans. THey recruit nationally now, because they have to, and their classes are consistently ranked higher than OSU. But the results tell you the rankings aren't accurate, or at least not completely. I think that's because aside form the blue bloods, where the rest of us make up the bulk of our teams is with all those 3* players ranked between 400-1000 in the country. Now I think once you get past that top 100 or so, it gets really dicey as far as which player is really better. And that's where close proximity to the highest number of those players comes into play. OSU, and even more so Baylor, are close to several hundred of those type players, and they can really evaluate, and cultivate relationships with the players and coaches. What all that means is Nebraska may pull players from Virginia, New Jersey, California, etc, all ranked 100 spots above what OSU is getting out of Texas and Oklahoma, but OSU knows way better what we're getting due to the above stated reasons.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Now that I live in Omaha, this reminds me of recruiting conversations I have with Husker fans. THey recruit nationally now, because they have to, and their classes are consistently ranked higher than OSU. But the results tell you the rankings aren't accurate, or at least not completely. I think that's because aside form the blue bloods, where the rest of us make up the bulk of our teams is with all those 3* players ranked between 400-1000 in the country. Now I think once you get past that top 100 or so, it gets really dicey as far as which player is really better. And that's where close proximity to the highest number of those players comes into play. OSU, and even more so Baylor, are close to several hundred of those type players, and they can really evaluate, and cultivate relationships with the players and coaches. What all that means is Nebraska may pull players from Virginia, New Jersey, California, etc, all ranked 100 spots above what OSU is getting out of Texas and Oklahoma, but OSU knows way better what we're getting due to the above stated reasons.
The problem in baseball is that the big time players get drafted out of high school and never set foot on campus. So you have to hit on those guys further down the board that aren’t getting drafted high out of high school or convince a top rated kid to come to school for two years.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Not a “Josh guy”. Not tall. Not heavy. Not muscled up.
Did Johnson leave when Thompson decided to return? When Griffen signed up it seemed Robertson left for OU and when Roc signed up Salinas left for KSU. Perceived lack of playing time is why players leave. Probably OSU will lose 4 or 5 players to transfer this year.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Did Johnson leave when Thompson decided to return? When Griffen signed up it seemed Robertson left for OU and when Roc signed up Salinas left for KSU. Perceived lack of playing time is why players leave. Probably OSU will lose 4 or 5 players to transfer this year.
I was sorry to see Colton Bowman leave. He has looked really good at times.

Nov 6, 2010
The problem in baseball is that the big time players get drafted out of high school and never set foot on campus. So you have to hit on those guys further down the board that aren’t getting drafted high out of high school or convince a top rated kid to come to school for two years.
Yea, my comment was more in reply to the "any sport" comment from @Nolaeer, and I veered into football recruiting. Baseball is unique in the recruiting environment for sure.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Heading out to TCU-Texas game. Only can hope for extra innings game 16 or more and they are both worn out for Fridays games. Some OSU fans just arrived at Hotel for games tomorrow. I guess smart fans buy the weekend only games. My family member who is a Texas fan bailed out on coming with me as they are still upset over us sweeping them.