OSU Baseball in Big XII Tournament thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Oregon went 0-2. I’m guessing they blew their shot at hosting. Louisville went 0-2 but they are still in good shape to host.

UVA-ND tomorrow is a big one. UVA will have a hard time hosting with another loss.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
WVU, despite building the best baseball stadium in the country and building a top 3 wrestling facility, continues to suck at both.

not sure why WVU has struggled to win titles in sports after such heavy investments in facilities and coaching staffs.

my hat is off to oklahoma state for winning titles in multiple sports.
baylor too. i mean what does baylor have that WVU doesnt?
It's impressive to see the strides being made at some of the Big 10 schools, but baseball is still a warm weather sport that is pretty much dominated by the southern and western states. Just look at the teams that end up in Omaha. Aside from Oregon State and a nice run by Michigan a couple years ago, it's pretty much always going to be teams from the southern SEC and ACC states, Texas, California/Arizona, etc. There are just so many built in advantages -

I've told you before that I think WV is dang lucky to have Mazey (IMO, you could switch Mazey with a lot of coaches who are at better programs, and he'd win at a higher clip than they win, and they'd lose at a higher clip than he does), but you're asking for decades of baseball tradition and dominance at the southern schools to be overcome by WV deciding to focus on baseball for the first time. That seems like a pretty big ask to me, especially given that many of those traditional southern baseball schools are also putting more toward baseball than they ever have.

And FWIW, Baylor has been down for a while, but they and Nebraska were the kings of Big 12 baseball for a stretch in the late 90s or so. So aside from their huge recruiting advantage over WV (being right in the middle of Texas), they also have some history and a park that once was the best in D1 and is still very nice.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I am not sure which team I'd rather see: we won 3 of 4 versus Texas, but they seem like they are on fire. We lost 2 of 3 versus TCU, apparently because we don't have enough left handed pitching.
Yeah, agreed on the Horns being hot. I’m hoping they lose tonight. If we beat them once it should put us squarely in front of them for seeding, where as I don’t know that we would jump TCU since they also have the conference championship. Plus, like you said, UT is playing well so It would be harder to beat them twice in one day.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Gordon is shutting down TCU as he did us. Texas does not have good relievers so if Gordon can’t keep it going TCU could rally. I would rather have another game with Texas on Friday.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Yeah, agreed on the Horns being hot. I’m hoping they lose tonight. If we beat them once it should put us squarely in front of them for seeding, where as I don’t know that we would jump TCU since they also have the conference championship. Plus, like you said, UT is playing well so It would be harder to beat them twice in one day.
This college baseball season is drunk.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Gordon 61 PC …. He may pitch a complete game. TCU needs to see if they can get some walks as he either strikes them out swinging or it’s a long fly out.

Last edited:
May 26, 2012
I hope that Josh emphasizes that tomorrows game is the most important game of the year to date. They also need to change the tournament to single elimination as college teams do not have the pitching staffs to play that many games. So many pitchers hurt on all teams doesn’t help

Oct 30, 2007
The big12 is a crap hole conference, screwed by Texas and still bows down to them. When will presidents of the universities grow a pair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk