OSU baseball vs Baylor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
LOL. My apologies - this is actually a dumber point than I realized. OSU, with a full team, is better than Vandy without the 2 best arms in college baseball?? Why not compare OSU's starters against their second string? Or Vanderbilt when playing in the rain to OSU in sunshine? Makes about as much sense. Enjoy the mental gymnastics, but Vanderbilt is ranked #2 and came to Stillwater and beat us worse than the score indicated.

If you want to look at statistical data, try these on:
  • We've won 1 series against a team in the top half of our conference
  • We're nowhere close to the the top of the conference in team ERA, batting average, slugging percentage or fielding percentage
  • We're leading the conference in strikeouts (averaging more than 10 a game) and walks allowed (~5 a game)

The program has been very good over the last 10 years, so I'm not ready to panic, but there's no reason to try and pretend that this is a good team.
I agree. I’m not panicking either. I do wonder if we lead the nation in runners left on base per game. I’m not sure the NCAA even tracks that stat like MLB does.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
this is the biggest bunch of guessing game, talking out of my ass, BS i've ever heard. and that's saying a lot, considering the majority of posters on this thread are complete tool bags w/ zero baseball knowledge.....
I played JV baseball and believe my 15 year slow-pitch softball career contributes a lot to my baseball knowledge. I also head coached and assisted a year each for my son’s little league. So, get out of here with that nonsense!
With those credentials you are considered qualified to second guess every football decision Mike Gundy has ever made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
LOL. My apologies - this is actually a dumber point than I realized. OSU, with a full team, is better than Vandy without the 2 best arms in college baseball?? Why not compare OSU's starters against their second string? Or Vanderbilt when playing in the rain to OSU in sunshine? Makes about as much sense. Enjoy the mental gymnastics, but Vanderbilt is ranked #2 and came to Stillwater and beat us worse than the score indicated.

If you want to look at statistical data, try these on:
  • We're 4th in our conference.
  • We've won 1 series against a team in the top half of our conference
  • We're nowhere close to the the top of the conference in team ERA, batting average, slugging percentage or fielding percentage
  • We're leading the conference in strikeouts (averaging more than 10 a game) and walks allowed (~5 a game)

The program has been very good over the last 10 years, so I'm not ready to panic, but there's no reason to try and pretend that this is a good team.
I'll take it further. He's comparing apples to melons. Here's a little statistics for him.

CWS APPEARANCES

SEC: 103
The SEC has taken over Omaha the past few decades. In 2019, Arkansas, Auburn, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt reached Omaha and bumped the SEC to the top of the perch. Wrap your head around this: Since 1990, the SEC has sent three or more teams to the College World Series 11 times. Current members have accounted for 13 titles (the SEC can claim 12 total using actual conference membership at the time of the championship), with LSU’s six leading the way. The Razorbacks' runner-up finish in 2018 gave the SEC 18 in total, the most in CWS history.

BIG 12: 79
35 are from Texas

MLBdraftbyconference.jpg

Comparing conference records between the two is a fools errand.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Those players that won a nat'l championship were already groomed and ready before Tom got to Texas.
That very well may be true, but he was the one who had to manage them for the entire season and keep track of innings, pitches etc. My point: he has as much experience as a pitching coach as anybody there is. I'd say he's more than qualified to comment on the current state of OSU baseball.