1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSU Basketball - General Discussion

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by PJ-OSU, Jan 10, 2017.

1. PJ-OSU

PJ-OSU Cowboy

I have wanted to start a general basketball thread for a bit here and finally am getting around to it. My intent is to keep it a bit separate from the game threads and ongoing between games if that happens to work out, but I know there will be some cross pollination. Either way, hoping for some good discussion on any and all things OSU basketball!

Injuries
    Shine, what’s the deal there? It may have been mentioned at some point but I don’t recall. It seems to be somewhat serious since I see talk of long term absence/transfer/done with b-ball all together. I like Shine a lot and think we are really missing his versatility right now.

Evans has not looked completely like himself since being out with the shoulder issue. Any thoughts as to what the lingering issue might be and if indeed the shoulder injury is what is causing a bit of a dip in production? Or are Big 12 defenses playing him more effectively?

Waters will be back at some point soon I assume. Neck injury in practice from playing hard I hope. on that note, I love hearing that practices are more intense and that Underwood is holding the guys accountable for effort there (is Dillard cooperating on this front, what is the deal???).

Defense
    I love our effort that the team puts out on most nights regarding the defense. Keeping in those passing lanes, getting steals, and generating more possessions leading to more opportunities for them at the other end of the floor. That said, according to some stats that @Lab Rat posted a few games ago, it seems like we are also allowing a LOT of points to be scored against us. I get that this is probably accepted as a result of the type of defense we are playing, but it is still something I grumble about. Underwood knows when to switch to zone when he needs to in order to help keep guys out of foul trouble, but I wonder if that also helps to slow things down a bit if we are not generating turnovers at a rate which puts us ahead in possessions. I hope we end up with a balance at some point of allowing fewer points while keeping the turnovers up. My love of basketball grew under Coach Sutton, so I am certainly partial to that style of defense, but I'm coming around.

Offense
    I love our offense when we seem to run it and it’s getting better with each outing. While I know it is not as feasible due to personnel limitations, Hammonds would be great in the high post spot where the ball goes to start off the sets. He certainly has better handles/shot/athleticism than Mitch, and would probably be more effective there. As Underwood gets more of his players in the system, this will certainly improve. Another item that has slowly been getting better is the pick and roll. For much of the season, it seems like the bigs would only be serviceable for the pick and then they were out of the equation. However, here lately, they seem to be rolling towards the basket more frequently and looking for a pass which is a sign of coaching in my eyes. Hope they continue getting better in this regard, as it will open up a lot of other things for the offense if defenders have to actually watch N’Guessan and Solomon too.

Front Court
    It is shocking how much coaching has made a difference with the front court guys so far (yes, we still have a ways to go). While I know Solomon is probably not a starter on many Big 12 teams, he seems to be making steps in the right direction that I hope he continues. Playing hard under the basket working on the boards, and as mentioned above, being serviceable in the screen and roll (but please lord, stop hip checking on every screen...). Lucas needs some weight and more time to get used to the speed and flow with the guys. I think he will be a solid contributor here when things slow down for him. I’m stoked about McGriff. I love his “I’m going to dunk on everyone all the time” attitude, but I hope the game slows down for him a bit too so he knows when to dunk on people and when to get the lay-up. I think we will all be very happy with his production very soon!

I am so excited about the future of OSU basketball under the new coaching staff. Let’s go Cowboys!!! :koolaid:

• Like Like x 7
  2. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

I agree with everything you said. Evans hasn't been quite the same since he went out. Hopefully he is getting healthy as well. Shine hurts man. I agree, sounds like Shine has something serious because coaches seem to know about his not being here next year from scholly numbers etc.

3. GoSTATE

GoSTATE Territorial Marshal

We knew coming in with a new coach that there will be growing pains and right now, this is what I was expecting. I know we'll be fine since we do have a lot of young guys on the team but I can't express how exciting it is to watch OSU basketball again. The last couple of years, I'd watch a little bit of Fordball and then I couldn't handle it anymore. It was painful to watch, knowing we have NBA-caliber players in the program and nothing to show for.

We just need to be patient, something that we all have lack in some point in society today. If HCBU is getting these guys to buy in what he's asking of them, I can't imagine what's going to be like with all of HIS players that he is bringing in. HCBU will bring in more guys that will fit his style in the front court and I'm proud of guys like Soloman even if he's a pain in the butt to watch at times but to go from Ford style to this is a huge change.

• Like Like x 7
  4. RutherfordFan

I'm excited still. It's a brutal start to the Big 12 season schedule wise. Texas loss I admit was the only surprise at this point. We should have beaten Texas but honestly without Shine and temporarily being without Lindy Waters has left us a bit thin.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carneyman14

Carneyman14 I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
    A/V Subscriber

I think Waters out hurts more than people think. I'm not saying it cost us the Texas game, but it cost us the Texas game. (That and Mack having the game of his life)

Defensive frustration the last few games. Probably due to level of competition, but I feel like our gambles that were working against Uconn, WSU, and Georgetown are biting us in the ass and allowing some easy buckets.

West Va and Baylor are elite 8 teams no doubt. So it sucks we start 0-3 but two of our toughest 6 games against the top 3 teams in the Big 12 we are already done with two of them.

I believe that we will win Wednesday.

• Like Like x 5
  6. NitroOrange

NitroOrange Sheriff

Somebody has got to get Nguessan, Hammonds and most of all Soloman to get control of their bodies and stop the obvious fouling. Fouling the Texas player on the in-bounds pass might just be the worst mental error foul I've seen Soloman make. I'm sure with NGuessan, it's youth. But Soloman and Hammonds have to be more disciplined.

I know the Texas game is not a good example as an errant harsh gaze was a foul, but there were at least two fouls on each of the guys that should not have happened. Moving screens, blocks and fouling a guy on a layup shot that nothing was going to stop are some examples. I have seen enough late in game foul outs to last me a while.....

#6 NitroOrange, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  7. PJ-OSU

PJ-OSU Cowboy

Totally agree. The fouling has to get under control. We are giving the other teams way too many freebies at the line b/c of dumb fouls. Great point on the youth vs. veteran boneheadedness. And while I know we are certainly shooting ourselves in the foot with regards to fouling, the officiating this year is awful. It has ruined many of the games I have seen so far and don't look like it is any better than earlier in the year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RutherfordFan

I hear you but it would 9 games or half lol. We play Baylor Kansas and West Virginia twice . Wednesday is a must win. Agreed. Go Cowboys!

9. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

10. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

My take on all of the cheap fouls is that the guys are trying to do what the coach is teaching but it is not transferring so well from practice to Big 12 play because they are still in the learning stage. They seem afraid to let up so they are a bit too intense on defense and that is causing the fouls. Plus, the refs a few years ago were told to decrease the physical contact of the game so they are not overlooking as much small contact any longer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pokes16

pokes16 Territorial Marshal

New concepts, a lot of new personel, and now into conference play. Will take time. But if we can recruit, it will be great.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

13. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

That is the key to success, recruiting and a great coach. Goes together like a horse and carriage. I believe those are lyrics from the musical, "Oklahoma".

14. pennpoke

pennpoke Deputy
    A/V Subscriber

Four things that are driving me crazy this year:

1. Losing track of the shot clock (three violations against Baylor?!)

2. Allowing easy shots below the rim on inbounds plays under our hoop. It's happened against multiple opponents this year.

3. Back door cuts.

4. Too much helping on defense. One time I saw all five of our players collapse on a low post player. He had four choices to whom to dish it back out.

I like Underwood's offense better with its better motion, but we still grind to a halt at times. Our defense is not the havoc-wreaking press that I thought would be a clone of the press Virginia, but is fair to middlin'.

I'm still pissed we lost to Maryland. And Texas.

• Like Like x 4
  15. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Sheriff

one reason the offense struggles is because of a lack of low-post offense, to relieve pressure from the shooters who are contested more often than not........eventually these things will work themselves out, as he gets more talent and players that fit the system better......
    as I have said on several occasions, when you get beat back-door often, you have to adjust the level of ball denial in the passing lanes.......but he sticks to his guns to a fault
    as a coach, I can see the potential and progress, which everyone could see for a stretch early.......teams have more film now to study on both the schemes AND players, so it will not take time to find some "new" things to get some momentum
    Also consider the level of play in the Big 12 and the teams to try and get wins against (plus West Virginia shot the lights out.........which they came no where near doing at Tech)

Give it time (and I don't mean a week or two, perhaps until next year to add more players)

• Like Like x 2
  16. CPTNQUIRK

CPTNQUIRK I'm Your Captain!
    A/V Subscriber

Nope, not from Oklahoma. It is by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen, recorded by Frank Sinatra for a production of Thornton Wilder's Our Town. You are probably most familiar with it as the theme to Married With Children.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_and_Marriage

• Like Like x 2
  17. Big Orange

Big Orange Cowboy

We will get there. The Big 12 is really, really tough this year, so our record may not reflect how good this year's team really is.

I just don't want our fans to quit on Coach Underwood. He is definitely the guy for us! He WILL get it done! I hope that the turnout tonight is every bit as good as it was for West Virginia. I don't care if we are 0-3 in the conference. Yes, the Texas loss hurts, but that is going to happen once in a while to a team adjusting to a new coach. Is it OK? No. Is it a reason to give up on this team? Absolutely NOT!

I will be there tonight as loud and enthusiastic as ever. And every home game the rest of this season and next year and the next and the next... Why? Because I'm a COWBOY! It's that simple.

• Like Like x 4
  18. prich1087

prich1087 Wrangler

I'm waiting to see our players start to try and hit cutters for layups in his offense. Until we try and attack the basket by passing to cutters or guys trying to post I think the offense will look pedestrian because we just pass it around the perimeter or drive baseline and throw it for a corner three.

The defense is concerning, although it was much improve vs Baylor. Don't know if they are a good offense to judge that on, but we had much fewer backdoor cuts given up and forced a bunch of jump shots off the dribble. I would also like to see us stop giving up layups on under the basket inbound plays.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RutherfordFan

It's tough because we play such pressure up close D that sometimes that allows backcuts more often. Of course we have people to help off and stop it but just saying.

I love Underwood, we'll be fine. Brutal start scheduling wise to Big 12 season. That said, the Big 12 is just brutal tough this year and deep. I really don't think there is a bad team in the league.

20. Family of Pokes

^^^^:thumbup::thumbup:

When any team is going to be rowing upstream against the odds in a minimum of 6 games in the 18 game conference season, everything has to come together very well to achieve success in the other 12 games. Compound a tough schedule with a new coach and things get even tougher as the team is not all on one page yet. They'll grow into the coaching and it will be apparent when they "get it." The early non-con games gave fans some optimism that a breakthrough had been achieved but that didn't play out against tougher conference opponents. Things are on the upswing and patience is still a virtue.

• Like Like x 4