OSU football, the stat that will make or break us

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
Disagree. Some of his best games last year, he started stepping up in the pocket and delivering.
I think most of it is between his ears. IMO, when he trusts his instincts rom an awareness perspective, he plays well. At other times, he appears robotic, holds on to the ball too long, which leads to bad decisions, whether it be forcing throws, not stepping up into the pocket or doing it far too late, or just not bailing. I think alot of this is just requires growth and hopefully, it all comes together this year. If it does, could be a special year.

Jun 20, 2013
I've said this before, but thought I'd research it with actual numbers. First, Sanders was #1 in the Big 12 and #10 in the country running the ball, so that alone makes his passing stats a bit more irrelevant because he's productive in other ways. But look at his pure passing stats and you'll see that only ONE team figured him out last year. Baylor. Otherwise, he was a quite effective passer:

Using the NFL Passer Rating formula:

2021 Season:
View attachment 96506

2021 Season minus the 2 Baylor games:

View attachment 96507

To put the numbers in perspective, the BEST QB last year was Bryce Young with 118.26 rating, while maybe a more comparable dual-threat QB was (the fantastic) Desmond Ridder with 109.25 rating. He's not at either of their levels but fix whatever the Baylor D did to him (and other QBs they played) and he's not that far off.

In conclusion: You can look at Spencer Sanders and find the negative or you can find the positive. I'd say it's more likely than not that with an extra year under his belt he looks more like the guy that we saw against Notre Dame, who had his best game against our best opponent and took home the MVP. But I tend to be optimistic about OSU players.
You removed his two worst games, and his QBR was still noticeably lower that the other two. You proved the point opposing your case.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Yeah, take away the games that really matter and against good competition and he has great stats. Sanders is a turnover machine. You can't Bob Ross it and just skip over his happy little accidents. He will have a game where he looks incredible where he makes highlight throws and runs, and then have a game where he is mediocre and can't throw simple outs or slants; then he has games where he throws the ball to the other team or drops it when there's slight pressure.
If you're looking to diagnose or understand any situation, you look for a pattern, and the only pattern is that he played bad against Baylor. He had 7 INTs against Baylor and 5 the entire rest of the season. Against other top teams, he played well enough to beat OU and he played great against Notre Dame.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
You removed his two worst games, and his QBR was still noticeably lower that the other two. You proved the point opposing your case.
I acknowledged we was not as good as the Heisman winner or arguably the best dual threat QB in the country. The point was - IF he (and the OL) fix Baylor and IF he improves as you'd expect with another year of experience, he's not far off. He has work to do, but everything Gundy says indicates he's doing it.

Gundy says otherwise. Said Baylor DT was the cause of alot of disruption on SS and he blames that.
But, hey, he's only been a D1 coach for 17 years and you are an internet poster so . . . .
What do you think Gundy would say? "My quarterback sucks." Get real. Gundy has never and will never criticize his quarterback. You know what doesn't sugarcoat things--stats. In three seasons, Sanders has a 1.6 td/int ratio (31 int). That is not great. He also has 17 fumbles (lost 9). Also, not great. Now, he has games like ND, where he's fantastic, but the inconsistency is remarkable.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
What do you think Gundy would say? "My quarterback sucks." Get real. Gundy has never and will never criticize his quarterback. You know what doesn't sugarcoat things--stats. In three seasons, Sanders has a 1.6 td/int ratio (31 int). That is not great. He also has 17 fumbles (lost 9). Also, not great. Now, he has games like ND, where he's fantastic, but the inconsistency is remarkable.
Let me pose this: What QBs in the conference would you rather have?

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Let me pose this: What QBs in the conference would you rather have?
I think that JT Daniels, Blake Shapen, Quinn Ewers, and Chandler Morris are better arm talents but I’m not sure that they would fit better in our system than SS plus Shapen, Ewers, and Morris are still young. I do think SS will be better than Max Duggan, the two Tech QBs, Martinez from KSU, whoever Iowa state and Kansas starts and Hudson Card from Texas if he starts.

Dillon Gabriel may put up better stats because of the offense that OU runs but I think Sanders legs’ are more important to us. Not sure I would trade SS for anyone this year but there are a few young QBs that have a higher ceiling than he does.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Having a rushing attack that, minus Sanders, had 27 attempts for 37 yards is no help for a qb and the passing game. Plenty of reasons for not winning the conference championship game. Laying the blame at one players feet is short sighted.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Yeah, take away the games that really matter and against good competition and he has great stats. Sanders is a turnover machine. You can't Bob Ross it and just skip over his happy little accidents. He will have a game where he looks incredible where he makes highlight throws and runs, and then have a game where he is mediocre and can't throw simple outs or slants; then he has games where he throws the ball to the other team or drops it when there's slight pressure.
Always nice to have an art reference to class up an otherwise pointless thread.

Sep 24, 2011
Not a rag on Sanders thread. Just a realistic question that has history behind it. Can SS avoid these types of games? If so, we have a great chance at another big time year. If he has two or three multiple turnover games, we will just have a good year. I don’t think our D will be quite as good, so those will be harder to overcome.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Why is it that our entire fan base seems completely oblivious to the reasons for Spencer Sanders turnovers. Every single game Sanders has had decent offensive line protection even to an average degree and had any amount of legitimate weapons available like a starting running back or even one legit wide receiver, he has excelled and set records. His games with multiple turnovers are games when he had to make something out of nothing and run around like a chicken with his head cut off because he had zero protection.

I’m so sick of hearing Spencer Sanders blamed for four turnovers in the Big 12 championship game. We were missing two offensive lineman and Sills was limping so badly he shouldn’t have been playing. The Baylor nose guard was absolutely molesting our backup center and was on top of Sanders immediately after every snap. We didn’t have Warren, Dominic or Presley due to injury and/or illness. He had one legit weapon to use which was Tay Martin. Two of those four picks hit the receiver right in the hands and the receiver failed to hang on causing a tip drill, not the QBs fault!

Despite all these missing players, zero protection and unlucky bounces, we came 6 inches away from winning that game and a Big 12 Title. The sole reasons we came that close were a world class Defense coupled with the absolutely gutsy never-say-die play and leadership of our quarterback Spencer Sanders.

This season is simple, give Sanders protection and we win every game we play. Continue to leave him on an island running for his life forcing him to try to make something out of nothing and you’ll continue seeing turnovers and they will absolutely not be his fault.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Why is it that our entire fan base seems completely oblivious to the reasons for Spencer Sanders turnovers. Every single game Sanders has had decent offensive line protection even to an average degree and had any amount of legitimate weapons available like a starting running back or even one legit wide receiver, he has excelled and set records. His games with multiple turnovers are games when he had to make something out of nothing and run around like a chicken with his head cut off because he had zero protection.

I’m so sick of hearing Spencer Sanders blamed for four turnovers in the Big 12 championship game. We were missing two offensive lineman and Sills was limping so badly he shouldn’t have been playing. The Baylor nose guard was absolutely molesting our backup center and was on top of Sanders immediately after every snap. We didn’t have Warren, Dominic or Presley due to injury and/or illness. He had one legit weapon to use which was Tay Martin. Two of those four picks hit the receiver right in the hands and the receiver failed to hang on causing a tip drill, not the QBs fault!

Despite all these missing players, zero protection and unlucky bounces, we came 6 inches away from winning that game and a Big 12 Title. The sole reasons we came that close were a world class Defense coupled with the absolutely gutsy never-say-die play and leadership of our quarterback Spencer Sanders.

This season is simple, give Sanders protection and we win every game we play. Continue to leave him on an island running for his life forcing him to try to make something out of nothing and you’ll continue seeing turnovers and they will absolutely not be his fault.
Good comments overall, but if you’re going to include the defense as one of the sole reasons for our success last season, then in addition to protection for Sanders it’s also going to require them to step it up this season.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
MG wouldn't say his QB sucks, b/c he doesn't suck... you wanna boohoo over stats, and ignore the overall success the team has had. he's a part of the team, btw........

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

this^.....

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year

Well said.