OSU Men's Basketball banned from postseason for 2020-21

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
My guess is an appeal could result in changes especially since ban should have been last year or this year due to delays. What if pandemic additional phases results in cancelling post season again this year?

Nov 6, 2010
I agree, the coaches involved need to be punished more often. Again, though, the NCAA doesn't have subpoena powers, so proving Eddie Sutton knew anything about the envelope for Chris Mills is tough business.

The rest of your response is, again, apples to oranges.
In this specific instance, the statement OSU put out said the NCAA agreed we did not show a lack of institutional control. It seems what you're arguing is to punish the university for fostering an environment where violations could occur, or turning a blind eye and not conducting enough oversight to keep the violations from occurring(lack of institutional control), and that makes sense. However, the NCAA agreed that was not the case in this instance, but chose to punish the institution anyway. It would seem to me if there is no lack of institutional control, then there should be no punishment for the institution.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Emotions aside now. What do you all think our chances are?
https://www.syracuse.com/orangespor...ssible_step_for_syracuse_university_in_n.html
According to summaries of all major cases listed in the NCAA database, schools or individuals have filed appeals of NCAA rulings 73 times since 2002 with 24 successfully reducing penalties, a success rate of 34 percent.

Based off recent history, it appears our odds are about 1 in 3.
Honestly, better chances than I thought they’d be.

Don’t they appeal to the same people that made the original ruling? It’s hard for human beings to admit they are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
I bet they reduce the post season ban on appeal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is my thought as well. We'll lose the schollys, but the ban will be overturned, it is just too severe given they found no lack of institutional control. The fact that the NCAA is in agreement with OSU on that point and all the others in the complaint would seem to give us a lot of ammo for the appeal.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Honestly, better chances than I thought they’d be.

Don’t they appeal to the same people that made the original ruling? It’s hard for human beings to admit they are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The appeals committee is a different, albeit smaller, committee. I didn't see any OU Alumni listed on it so maybe we have a chance...seriously, bias of the infractions committee members should be looked into. I damn sure couldn't make an objective ruling concerning OU sports. I would never expect a former ou wrestler and their current director of compliance to be able to do so with OSU sports. Of course he was only one of 22 committee members...but it should be determined just how much involvement he had, if any, in the process.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So, I finally listened to AD Mike Holders response and I'm proud to be a Cowboy fan...Looking for Mike Boynton's now...and from the statements I've seen from him and what I've grown to expect from this class act of a man...he's going to make me even more proud. We need to stand by this coach, pack that arena, and be the fanbase we used to be in Basketball....EVEN if we aren't all that great. These young men, when and if they do travel to Oklahoma State and become our players and our current players...each and every one of them deserves our attendance and the great pride in that they will have overlooked this crap and supported this coach despite this unholy unfairness. We as fans should be very proud...not in-spite of this ruling, but because of the response to it by our fighters in the AD and Coaching staff...major props to each of them.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Okay I'm going to go ahead and say it. I'm not scared.

2020 has to have bottomed out and we have to be heading up from here, right?!!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So why is the moron troll craig.haney@87 still on the site? What is he contributing to this discussion besides disliking everything that is said? Honestly ban him already...:innocent:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So why is the moron troll craig.haney@87 still on the site? What is he contributing to this discussion besides disliking everything that is said? Honestly ban him already...:innocent:
The fact that he disagreed with my post made me feel good about what I posted.

Is he the first knucklehead ever to get banned just for emoji's?