OSU Men's Basketball banned from postseason for 2020-21

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
I'm not sure how this works, but can this be appealed? Changed, modified, dismissed? Actually thought this whole situation was over.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Since we are being penalized, this is reminding more of Dez Bryant and Andy Oliver than the Thayer hit piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Andy Oliver case is exactly what came to my mind. He took the NCAA to court and they were forced to settle for $750K to save face but what the NCAA did, and the timing of it, was total bullshit. The NCAA is so politically motivated and corrupt they're almost indistinguishable from Congress..

Oct 30, 2007
Nov 18, 2010
The Andy Oliver case is exactly what came to my mind. He took the NCAA to court and they were forced to settle for $750K to save face but what the NCAA did, and the timing of it, was total bullshit. The NCAA is so politically motivated and corrupt they're almost indistinguishable from Congress..
Don't forget Dez Bryant was suspended an entire season for what was it..telling a lie? All American WR poised to break records and NCAA steps in and ends his OSU career which obviously handicapped OSU's football team.

So now they've "made an example of" the baseball, football, and basketball teams. It's almost like someone(s) on that committee enjoy sabotaging OSU anytime they start gaining momentum.

If Kansas, Louisville, Duke, etc don't get punished worse than OSU, then its time for a 'non blue-blood' mutiny. They can't keep getting away with this.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Hi officer, uhm is there a problem? Yes, the guy you let drive your car last year was speeding while driving it. So, I'm going to have to send your entire family to Gitmo.

I hate this situation, almost as much as I hate the standard "you're punishing people that weren't even there!" line that gets trotted out every time a penalty gets handed down.

How the hell else is it supposed to work? Do people actually think someone's going to get busted in real time or something? Ridiculous.

The schools are the constant here & supposed to keep their own houses clean, end of story. If/when they don't, the schools should be punished.
In case no one answered you, the one constant is Lamont Evans. He was apparently doing this before he came here. So it's not an OSU problem. And we kept it clean by dumping his butt when it was found out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If I were KU, I'd be shaking in my shoes . . . . .
I will be shocked if they hammer KU and especially Duke. Easy to hammer the school that has brought very little rev into the NCAA tourney but not the Golden Geese.
Except with the number 1 recruit in the country, we have the potential to make a great run and upset those teams. That would bring in quite a bit of revenue.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Again, how else should a penalty be levied?

I'm not debating the severity or appropriateness of this specific penalty, but if you don't penalize the institution, who do you penalize & how?
I don't have a good answer for that question. And I wasn't expecting zero penalties, but I was certainly expecting less.

I don't see the logic behind so heavily punishing coaches and athletes who were not involved. Especially when the malfeasance didn't aid in winning basketball games.

Why should the current players be robbed of a postseason because a former assistant took a bribe?

As I understand it, three players will now have to be released from scholarship. Why should three student athletes lose the ability to attend the school of their choosing because Lamont Evans committed a selfish act?

I see no logic behind that form of punishment.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Exactly, doesn't sound much like they are acting in the best interest of the student athletes.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Maybe this and several football issues well be the straw that makes the p5 teams leave the NCAA behind? OSU has already brought about change several times.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Holder said that the basketball world will be looking to see if the NCAA holds others with violations to the same standard. The NCAA is already distancing themselves from having to do that:

"Each case is unique," Parkinson said. "I would caution against reading too much from one decision. The panel bases its conclusions on the amount of money before it, and as other cases come before either this panel or other panels, we'll decide those cases based on the finances provided and circumstances of those individual schools being addressed cases. Having had only one and this being the first, I think time will tell whether other cases bring in a similar or dissimilar dollar amount annually."
FIFY

Dec 21, 2008
BIG QUESTION...
Donovan Williams mentioned needs to make a decision in 25 days. Is that the deadline to enroll? So say this appeal takes over a month, Cade will be forced to make a decision.

Reasons he stays:
1) loyal to Coach for recruiting him FIRST and for four total years AND giving his brother a $250,000 job
2) pissed for the program and wants to fight for us LOYAL & TRUE
3) wants to send a message to the Natl Communists Against Athletes & try and go undefeated like he did with HS team
4) friends with so many players/signees & so many guys tied to him
5) Never hurts to develop one more year when you want to become a legend
6) Sees the transparency, honesty & pain in a Head Coach who he knows depends on him for his future success.

Reasons to leave:
1) Should be guaranteed well over $500,000 contract or in that ballpark
2) Appeal takes too long and he gets nervous of the unknown
3) Makes the ole patented blockbuster “what’s best for me & my future announcement”

I don’t think he would flip to Kentucky or somewhere and leave his brother in this mess. Hearing the pain & honesty in Coach’s voice, I honestly see him staying & trying to be a solution to all this! He is very humble, mature and a leader!