OSU rodeo bull rider dies from injuries suffered in Texas event

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
OSU rodeo bull rider dies from injuries suffered in Texas event

An Oklahoma bull rider died Thursday after being thrown from a bull during a Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association event in Mineral Wells, Texas.

Rowdy Lee Swanson, 20, from Duncan was competing in the Palo Pinto County Livestock Association's rodeo.

“We are deeply saddened by the passing of Rowdy Swanson at the ProRodeo in Mineral Wells, Texas,” PRCA CEO George Taylor said in a press release.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I agree is it sad but the kid did die doing something that he loved and something he knew the dangers of doing. You don't ride bulls without either of those.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Actually there are a lot more. These 75 schools are the ones offering scholarships, which does not include OSU.
Was about to say the same. They have very small scholarships and are not supported by the athletic department. There are a fair number of D1 schools that do the same. Pretty sure my first road trip with my now wife was a college rodeo at KState and neither school has scholarship athletes, but they have to register with the NCAA anyway.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Was about to say the same. They have very small scholarships and are not supported by the athletic department. There are a fair number of D1 schools that do the same. Pretty sure my first road trip with my now wife was a college rodeo at KState and neither school has scholarship athletes, but they have to register with the NCAA anyway.
I never knew. There was a water skiing team that was unofficial when I was there.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I never knew. There was a water skiing team that was unofficial when I was there.
And an unofficial polo team.

We made lots of jokes about her being a real cowgirl and none of them getting scholarships while still having to pay event fees and travel costs. Hope they do something special for the guy. Rodeo team members pay a lot and get little from the school.