OSU, Tulsa agree to eight-year, home-and-home football series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
I can't wrap my head around this decision. Tulsa is a lesser team, from a lesser conference. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to sign a 2 for 1 deal with them. In fact, they're a lesser program now than what they were in the past when we signed 2 for1 deals with them. Why would we lock them up for a home and home series for nearly a decade without any type of financial benefit from the contract?

Our athletic department pays the school for every scholarship they give out. They even pay rent for the parking spots they give out for parking & tailgating. Our athletic department has zero obligation to prop up the University of Tulsa regardless of any current or future ties between the two schools. I hate to pass judgement without knowing all the details, but this feels like a real lack of leadership from Mike Holder.

Someone smarter than me is going to have to explain how this decision benefits our athletic department.
Umm.... Tulsa Brings a decent fanbase to home games. Convenient road trip for the fans. Easy travel game for the team. We break even on the money.... and beating TU ass is kind of fun.

Oct 30, 2007
Umm.... Tulsa Brings a decent fanbase to home games. Convenient road trip for the fans. Easy travel game for the team. We break even on the money.... and beating TU ass is kind of fun.
I like playing Tulsa. I just don't understand why we would give them a home & home series instead of 2 for 1. They're currently under contract to play us 2 for 1 from 2019 to 2021, and they're a worse football program now than when they signed that contract. We're the only power 5 team on their future schedule that gave them a home & home series.

Aug 16, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong, but has there not been complaints about recent games with UT due to the time the games are held? Realize the infamous game some eight or so years ago was delayed until the wee hours due to weather, but seem to recall too many late/early games that cramped the gameday experience

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
I like playing Tulsa. I just don't understand why we would give them a home & home series instead of 2 for 1. They're currently under contract to play us 2 for 1 from 2019 to 2021, and they're a worse football program now than when they signed that contract. We're the only power 5 team on their future schedule that gave them a home & home series.
It is political. Tulsa spent money looking at what a fuller public university offering could do for the city. OSU has been investing in its resources in Tulsa and is trying to position itself. There is a lot of talk about possibilities, but I am confident that this about more than football.

Jul 28, 2006
Care to expound on this absolutely ridiculous statement?
If we win, we were supposed to win. Nothing gained. If it's close, we were supposed to win by more. Our image takes a hit. If we lose??? We are horrible.

There is simply nothing to gain from playing this game. Notice the media never clamors for OU to play TU? They use it to establish the narrative that the programs are somehow on equal footing. It only hurts recruiting. To even be on the same field with them is a mistake.

Jul 28, 2006
It is political. Tulsa spent money looking at what a fuller public university offering could do for the city. OSU has been investing in its resources in Tulsa and is trying to position itself. There is a lot of talk about possibilities, but I am confident that this about more than football.
Football scheduling should be about nothing but football.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
Football scheduling should be about nothing but football.
Unfortunately, when millions of dollars are in potential play things don't get to be simple. Whether it is going to an IUPU type of arrangement with OU or expanding the role OSU-Tulsa, Oklahoma State wants as big of a presence in Tulsa as it can build. Higher education is probably entering a new era of retraction. The big will get bigger and the smaller will have to fight for survival. OSU is small by tier 1, P5, state flagship standards. It is looking for territory. There is a still a lot to work out in Tulsa and some issues involving Langston, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Jul 28, 2006
Unfortunately, when millions of dollars are in potential play things don't get to be simple. Whether it is going to an IUPU type of arrangement with OU or expanding the role OSU-Tulsa, Oklahoma State wants as big of a presence in Tulsa as it can build. Higher education is probably entering a new era of retraction. The big will get bigger and the smaller will have to fight for survival. OSU is small by tier 1, P5, state flagship standards. It is looking for territory. There is a still a lot to work out in Tulsa and some issues involving Langston, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
New era of retraction? Are you kidding me. Awaken from your coma. Universities are expanding and building at an unprecedented rate. Loans for anyone with a pulse. Higher education is boom town. Besides, what would playing Tulsa have to do with any of this? Your response was either uninformed, misinformed, or just plain propaganda. I can’t believe you expect anyone to buy that tripe.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
If we win, we were supposed to win. Nothing gained. If it's close, we were supposed to win by more. Our image takes a hit. If we lose??? We are horrible.

There is simply nothing to gain from playing this game. Notice the media never clamors for OU to play TU? They use it to establish the narrative that the programs are somehow on equal footing. It only hurts recruiting. To even be on the same field with them is a mistake.
How does it hurt recruiting?

Also, how is it dismantling the program? You didn't really answer the question at all.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
New era of retraction? Are you kidding me. Awaken from your coma. Universities are expanding and building at an unprecedented rate. Loans for anyone with a pulse. Higher education is boom town. Besides, what would playing Tulsa have to do with any of this? Your response was either uninformed, misinformed, or just plain propaganda. I can’t believe you expect anyone to buy that tripe.
I see. You're just an asshole. Ignore my previous comment and I'll ignore future ones from you.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth

Every team, every year plays games like that. We're just choosing to make Tulsa one of those games for 8 yrs.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Exactly. Why travel to play a game like this, in some area we don't recruit?

Like others, I think it should be a 2 for 1, but otherwise I like playing TU.
Like I said earlier, if we were alternating between TU and SMU/Rice I think it would be very high value for us to have those games.

I'd much rather play TU than South Alabama or Central Michigan. That's for damn sure.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Like I said earlier, if we were alternating between TU and SMU/Rice I think it would be very high value for us to have those games.

I'd much rather play TU than South Alabama or Central Michigan. That's for damn sure.
All prime recruiting grounds for OSU. We literally get nothing going to the Gulf Coast or the Extreme north. Much more to gain in Tulsa, DFW and Houston, where we've been snagging recruits for 10+ years.

The bigger presence we give there, the better it will be for us.

Jul 28, 2006
All prime recruiting grounds for OSU. We literally get nothing going to the Gulf Coast or the Extreme north. Much more to gain in Tulsa, DFW and Houston, where we've been snagging recruits for 10+ years.

The bigger presence we give there, the better it will be for us.
This isn’t 1902. Our presence everywhere is based on TV and internet. Tulsa is very close. We can get kids over to games in Stilly from Tulsa easily. It was different back during the covered wagon days. All your spinning is making me dizzy. All this will do is pull the program back to the pack. Gundy will call it quits before this scheduled series ends. Mark it down.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This isn’t 1902. Our presence everywhere is based on TV and internet. Tulsa is very close. We can get kids over to games in Stilly from Tulsa easily. It was different back during the covered wagon days. All your spinning is making me dizzy. All this will do is pull the program back to the pack. Gundy will call it quits before this scheduled series ends. Mark it down.
Put the crazy pills down.

Jun 23, 2005
I have always liked playing Tulsa. Eight games is a bit much, but what the heck. Easy road trip, nice stadium (small, but nice place to watch a game), chance to see friends and family. From a football standpoint, its a non power five game- better than some of the rummies we've been playing in recent years. Would I like to see OSU play Notre Dame, Ohio State etc., sure, but that ain't gonna happen.

Nov 6, 2010
I have always liked playing Tulsa. Eight games is a bit much, but what the heck. Easy road trip, nice stadium (small, but nice place to watch a game), chance to see friends and family. From a football standpoint, its a non power five game- better than some of the rummies we've been playing in recent years. Would I like to see OSU play Notre Dame, Ohio State etc., sure, but that ain't gonna happen.
Agreed. And I think folks are glossing over the fact that scheduling seems to be getting tougher all the time. So many cancellations and buy outs. This is probably just a good way to lock in some scheduling for one of our lesser games that will still be good for our fans, recruiting, etc. Will make it a lot less likely we get stuck with a Savannah State or SW Missouri, or having to travel to S. Alabama.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
You keep doubling down on this garbage and looking silly. What does Gundy have to do with potentially retiring before the series ends? Who gives a rats ass what Gundy does even 5 years from now. He won't leave the program until he feels it's in good hands and in a good spot. You think Gundy would invest all these years in the program and just leave it in the shitter?

I fail to see how scheduling someone like Tulsa pulls a program down. It's practically a home game for 8 years straight, from a G5 (not FCS)... you made a dumbass remark, now you feel the need to defend it.

You get nothing from traveling long ways to road games... way more pros than cons having a road game 4/8 years that's 70 miles away from home.