OSU vs Illinois State this weekend

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Gotta say, the stadium is gorgeous but the crowd is disappointing and it ain't social distancing.
Hopefully the season tickets weren't almost all bought by businesses, corporations or individuals that buy them just for a select few games then try to, unsuccessfully, give the rest away or sell them.

That's the recipe for a few big crowds of nun on diehard fans, then every other game being empty.

This happened to a large extent in basketball.

For years basketball was perceived as being too expensive and that gameday tickets, either because of price or availability, weren't accessible to the average fan.

So... if you didnt have season tickets you werent going to drive to Stillwater without a ticket.

Even on the days where GIA was full, like the giveaway days, it was full of non diehard fans and didn't have the energy it used to.

It's quite possible, by making this facility so small, that we just spent $70 million to make baseball less accessible to the average fan.

Is someone not from Stillwater gonna drive to Stillwater just in hopes of possibly getting a SRO ticket?

For someone who does want to drive over, buy a ticket once they get there, and catch a game, what are their options?

We have s chance to build an Arkansas type fan base in baseball with the momentum of building a new stadium.

I'll be curious to see how accessible/affordable tickets are in a non Covid year.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2006
I can see corporate groups being an issue in the suites and MAYBE in other areas due to COVID but there just isn't enough corporate interest in college baseball to cause any major issues in a non COVID year when ou consider the size of the stadium and our average attendance in APR. You might not get the same accessibility as places that sell tickets for the lawn, but the seats will be available.

Jul 1, 2004
OKC
Anyone have a single for sale for today? I have 4, need a 5th so I don’t have to leave my 7 year old in the car :) Been trying to buy a SRO on ticketmaster all morning with no luck.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Hopefully the season tickets weren't almost all bought by businesses, corporations or individuals that buy them just for a select few games then try to, unsuccessfully, give the rest away or sell them.

That's the recipe for a few big crowds of nun on diehard fans, then every other game being empty.

This happened to a large extent in basketball.

For years basketball was perceived as being too expensive and that gameday tickets, either because of price or availability, weren't accessible to the average fan.

So... if you didnt have season tickets you werent going to drive to Stillwater without a ticket.

Even on the days where GIA was full, like the giveaway days, it was full of non diehard fans and didn't have the energy it used to.

It's quite possible, by making this facility so small, that we just spent $70 million to make baseball less accessible to the average fan.

Is someone not from Stillwater gonna drive to Stillwater just in hopes of possibly getting a SRO ticket?

For someone who does want to drive over, buy a ticket once they get there, and catch a game, what are their options?

We have s chance to build an Arkansas type fan base in baseball with the momentum of building a new stadium.

I'll be curious to see how accessible/affordable tickets are in a non Covid year.

I hope you're right about the potential of building an Arkansas type fan base....what I'm afraid of is that once the newness of the stadium wears off, it'll go back to being under 1,000 for the midweek and around 2,000 on weekends. The good news is that Josh has something built that should maintain momentum for quite a while--the product on the field will be good. Hopefully next year there will be no Covid restrictions and we can get 3-5K in the place regularly.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
I think once the restrictions are gone we’ll see an increase of about 1,000 to 1,500 in average attendance. We’ll probably have about 2,000 for your average midweek game and about 4,000 or so for your average weekend game. And a packed house for your big series when teams like OU, Texas, etc visit.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
On a side note, it’s really good to see Golda settling in the last couple of games defensively at 2nd. His throws have been much better the last two games. He and Huey have looked very smooth turning 2. I think it’s only a matter of time before his hitting starts clicking.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
And, what the heck are we going to do when McCusker gets back...... McLean and Campbell are looking so good at the plate and of course you can’t just take a hitter like Thompson out of the lineup. It’ll be interesting. This is why a part of me really did want 4 game conference series this year. But of course if they did that they wouldn’t have any midweek games.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
On the attendance issue: I skipped the first basketball game during the cold snap. I tried to return my tickets so the AD could sell/give them away to get butts in the seats. They wanted to charge me $15 to give them back. Instead I left them empty. The next game I was able to give them away on Orange Power to someone in Stillwater who put them to use.

I can see how purchased seats stay empty if they want to charge you to take them back. If they had a giveaway program for sold seats the could at least make some concession dollars, plus greatly enhance the atmosphere for our teams.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
I hope you're right about the potential of building an Arkansas type fan base....what I'm afraid of is that once the newness of the stadium wears off, it'll go back to being under 1,000 for the midweek and around 2,000 on weekends. The good news is that Josh has something built that should maintain momentum for quite a while--the product on the field will be good. Hopefully next year there will be no Covid restrictions and we can get 3-5K in the place regularly.
Here's what I think it boils down to. It takes a great game day atmosphere that people want to be a part of. It helps if the product on the field is good but some places draw well even with average results. It does help if the Pokes are electric and winning, and I see them building that in spades. The atmosphere has to be organic and engaged and usually starts with the students. More effort needs to be placed on making this their place, this is their peers on the field. In places that are well known for their atmosphere, it's usually a party, raucous student section and us olds get sucked into the fun. A few places it's the alum like the crazy cajuns and the hog callers but their students are still part of the catalyst. They need to court the students with specialty games, cheap tickets, cheap hotdogs, cheap beer all the time. Give them a reason, non baseball students, to become a fan of the event and hopefully the game. Then us olds will come to watch the motley fools, reminisce about our once carefree life and get caught up in the fun wanting to return time and again. I don't believe build it and they will come, I believe build an atmosphere and they will come and come from distances. If all they did was chase the dollar, they will have failed this program and the players, and they do talk about how pathetic the crowds are.