OSU Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I like Branch. I like Coleman. I don’t know Pop. I just don’t feel these 3 take OSU to that top 3 national spot. We need to swing big. $300k isn’t that much money to get us back to prominence. Anyone in the wrestling world besides Cael and Brands would love to take over OSU wrestling. It has slowly wilted. Needs a big overhaul of excitement. Daton winning 3 silvers has crushed our national momentum chances we had. Left bad tastes each tournament. DC is from Louisiana I would bet $ he would jump all over that head coaching job! That’s a Yankees job. He can always go back to the UFC or his gym or his HS to coach. Taking the reigns from John and giving us an international boost is what we need.
With our success as a program I wish we could offer closer to 1MM a year. That would make finding a coach a lot easier.

Our competitors are paying considerably more anyways....

Per Hawk Central, the seven-year deal for Hawkeyes’ head coach Tom Brands will net him the following annual base salaries:

• $550,000 for the ’22-23 season
  • $625,000 for ’23-24
  • $700,000 for ’24-25
  • $725,000 for ’25-26
  • $750,000 for ’26-27
  • $775,000 for ’27-28
  • $800,000 for ’28-29

alex1fly

Greenhorn
Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
With our success as a program I wish we could offer closer to 1MM a year. That would make finding a coach a lot easier.

Our competitors are paying considerably more anyways....

Per Hawk Central, the seven-year deal for Hawkeyes’ head coach Tom Brands will net him the following annual base salaries:

• $550,000 for the ’22-23 season
  • $625,000 for ’23-24
  • $700,000 for ’24-25
  • $725,000 for ’25-26
  • $750,000 for ’26-27
  • $775,000 for ’27-28
  • $800,000 for ’28-29
Right? I know we can't compare to football but we have to pay more than Gundy's annual raises. Lol exaggeration but still

Apr 13, 2021
Northern California
The landscape has changed so much for John Smith. Penn State is in the middle of a dynasty at the same time Big 12 wrestling has plummeted. Losing MU, NU, and now OU isn't something some young coach can offset with fire and energy IMO. I hope John Smith sticks around as I think he is still the best person for the job.

Dec 21, 2008
Fire and energy creates recruiting momentum which leads to winning. The program is stagnant, no other way to put it. I agree John is a top 6 Coach in the world. I just feel we need some changes to modernize where we are at. We can't just live on our 1920s-2005 trophies. We have got to establish our identity and get better wrestlers. We have mentioned "we hope so and so has a chance to AA as a 10-15 seed". Our expectation should be to place half our team, not try and get top 6 as a team with maybe 1-2 placers. Ignoring the RTC killed us. Not playing the games other coaches are is killing us. We have got to light a match. There is nothing showing a wealthy donor to donate millions right now. I have been to dozens of duals and they have gotten pretty boring besides maybe one per year.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
All but two of the guys in our probable lineup next season were top 30 p4p recruits in their respective recruiting classes.... to say we're not getting talent or recruiting well is misguided.

Dec 21, 2008
So what do you think we need to become a consistent top 3 team again? Do you think duals are fun when we wrestle Edinboro and SDSU and Northern Colorado?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
So what do you think we need to become a consistent top 3 team again? Do you think duals are fun when we wrestle Edinboro and SDSU and Northern Colorado?
We haven't wrestled Edinboro in, like, 6 years. SDSU and Northern Colorado are in the Big 12, so we have to wrestle them. The duals are exciting because it's Cowboy Wrestling. OSU is the main attraction. When we go to Lehigh or Utah Valley, we sell their place out. Michigan, Illinois, Penn State, etc. don't want to come to Stillwater and we aren't just going to go to their place. Can't do much about that.

What do we have to do to be a top 3 team again? We are a top three team. Last year sucked, sure, but our average finish over the last 11 years is 3rd.

What do we need to do to win another national title? We need to keep all of our guys healthy. Injuries have derailed at least four seasons in that stretch. If Anthony Collica and Austin Schafer wrestle to seed in 2017. If Jacobe Smith and Kaden Gfeller were healthy in 2019. Eddie Klimara in 2016. Alan Gelogaev's slip in 2013. Do we for sure win national titles in those years if those guys are healthy? Can't say that for sure... but where some of our guys are hurt, Penn State's guys finished top 4.

This is our probably lineup and their recruiting class ranks:

125 - Trevor Mastro (#13 on Flo, #21 on MatScouts)
133 - Daton Fix (#1 on Flo)
141 - Carter Young (#19 on Flo, #11 on MatScouts)
149 / 157 - Victor Voinovich (#12 on Flo, #15 on MatScouts... #1 redshirt season according to Flo)
149 / 157 - Jordan Williams (#12 on Flo, #10 on MatScouts)
149 / 157 - Travis Mastro (#39 on Flo, #21 on MatScouts)
165 - Wyatt Sheets (#52 on Flo)
174 - Dustin Plott (#11 on Flo, #2 on MatScouts)
184 - Travis Wittlake (#6 on Flo)
184 / 197 - Kyle Haas (#18 on Flo, #37 on MatScouts)
197 - Luke Surber (#28 on Flo, #43 on MatScouts)
285 - Konner Doucet (#78 on Flo, #110 on MatScouts)

Is that a championship lineup? Probably not with Penn State being absolutely loaded. Just is what it is. But it's top 3... and if some of our guys make a jump, like Carter Young, Victor Voinovich, and Trevor Mastro... Yes. That's a team that will challenge.

Sep 2, 2014
. Michigan, Illinois, Penn State, etc. don't want to come to Stillwater and we aren't just going to go to their place. Can't do much about that.
Glad Iowa is still on the schedule. As for the others, I understand the BIG10 schedule is already incredibly tough, but wrestling is a sport that you want to wrestle the toughest night in and night out. That and you would think that wrestling in GIA with all of its history in the sport would be enough to convince Cael to schedule us once in a four year period.

Really wish there was a way for us to be a provisional BIG10 member in wrestling.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
We haven't wrestled Edinboro in, like, 6 years. SDSU and Northern Colorado are in the Big 12, so we have to wrestle them. The duals are exciting because it's Cowboy Wrestling. OSU is the main attraction. When we go to Lehigh or Utah Valley, we sell their place out. Michigan, Illinois, Penn State, etc. don't want to come to Stillwater and we aren't just going to go to their place. Can't do much about that.

What do we have to do to be a top 3 team again? We are a top three team. Last year sucked, sure, but our average finish over the last 11 years is 3rd.

What do we need to do to win another national title? We need to keep all of our guys healthy. Injuries have derailed at least four seasons in that stretch. If Anthony Collica and Austin Schafer wrestle to seed in 2017. If Jacobe Smith and Kaden Gfeller were healthy in 2019. Eddie Klimara in 2016. Alan Gelogaev's slip in 2013. Do we for sure win national titles in those years if those guys are healthy? Can't say that for sure... but where some of our guys are hurt, Penn State's guys finished top 4.

This is our probably lineup and their recruiting class ranks:

125 - Trevor Mastro (#13 on Flo, #21 on MatScouts)
133 - Daton Fix (#1 on Flo)
141 - Carter Young (#19 on Flo, #11 on MatScouts)
149 / 157 - Victor Voinovich (#12 on Flo, #15 on MatScouts... #1 redshirt season according to Flo)
149 / 157 - Jordan Williams (#12 on Flo, #10 on MatScouts)
149 / 157 - Travis Mastro (#39 on Flo, #21 on MatScouts)
165 - Wyatt Sheets (#52 on Flo)
174 - Dustin Plott (#11 on Flo, #2 on MatScouts)
184 - Travis Wittlake (#6 on Flo)
184 / 197 - Kyle Haas (#18 on Flo, #37 on MatScouts)
197 - Luke Surber (#28 on Flo, #43 on MatScouts)
285 - Konner Doucet (#78 on Flo, #110 on MatScouts)

Is that a championship lineup? Probably not with Penn State being absolutely loaded. Just is what it is. But it's top 3... and if some of our guys make a jump, like Carter Young, Victor Voinovich, and Trevor Mastro... Yes. That's a team that will challenge.
I want so badly to believe you’re absolutely correct. But I’m also a basketball guy living through that mess for the last 15 years.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I want so badly to believe you’re absolutely correct. But I’m also a basketball guy living through that mess for the last 15 years.
Yeah I mean I love the basketball program too and it's been a hard 18 years for both.

With all due respect to the basketball team, though, the wrestling program hasn't fallen off nearly as hard. It feels like it because the expectation is national titles or bust... And two of the worst finishes in program history have happened in this stretch... But the talent is there. They just need to stay healthy and develop into their potential.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Yeah I mean I love the basketball program too and it's been a hard 18 years for both.

With all due respect to the basketball team, though, the wrestling program hasn't fallen off nearly as hard. It feels like it because the expectation is national titles or bust... And two of the worst finishes in program history have happened in this stretch... But the talent is there. They just need to stay healthy and develop into their potential.
Staying healthy would be a massive first step.

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
What do we need to do to win another national title? We need to keep all of our guys healthy. Injuries have derailed at least four seasons in that stretch. If Anthony Collica and Austin Schafer wrestle to seed in 2017. If Jacobe Smith and Kaden Gfeller were healthy in 2019. Eddie Klimara in 2016. Alan Gelogaev's slip in 2013.
This is a huge piece of the puzzle. Season ending injuries have been killing us for the last several years, not only come tournament time but in close duals and just hurting momentum in general. Amazing we've placed as high as we have with so many backups in the lineup for so many years.

Kaid Brock at 133 and 141 had two or three season ending injuries
Boo at 149 had two or three
Preston Weigel at 197 had two
Joe Smith at 165 had several and then bumped Chandler Rogers to 174 his last season
Wyatt Sheets at 157 AA'ed with one leg and then the next season was pretty banged up
Travis Wittlake at 165 had one last season
Obv AJ Ferrari at 197 had one this last season
Not an injury, but Daton had to sit out a season for the PED fiasco and sat out another season for Olympic redshirt

Count it up and that's about 10 absolute studs sitting out come tournament time.

Dec 21, 2008
I know in Gundy's early years, it was "we gotta practice 2.5+ hrs to build stamina and close the talent gap". He visited Pete Carroll year 2 or 3 and came back and practices were 1:45hrs long and most of the conditioning was uptempo offense and sprinting between drills. He learned the 2.5 was doing more harm than good, especially tendonitis and overuse injuries that would worsen as the season progressed. Currently they have tons of indoor days etc to help the athletes mental and physical well being.

It feels like maybe wrestling has "tried to increase the workload to close this gap?" and thus causing this decade long pattern of major injuries? Coach G is a legend and has made some men into monsters so I don't believe it is S&C related. But when muscles fatigue, injuries drastic injuries occur.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The single most impactful thing that you could do to help improve Cowboy Wrestling in the near term is to join the Cowboy Wrestling Club. This money goes directly to the RTC, which is going to use that money to bring in high level senior level athletes, foreign national teams, and coaches to help train our athletes up to compete for world and Olympic titles... and also prepare them for the NCAA season.

https://www.cowboywrestlingclub.com/

USA Wrestling developed the idea of the “Regional Training Center” to help promote amateur wrestling and give athletes the opportunity to train and develop closer to home. A key focus is to raise the relevancy of wrestling on college campuses. Within NCAA rules, RTCs provide additional opportunities for college coaches to further develop and enhance their individual program. This cooperative effort strengthens the connection between the Olympic Movement and college athletics.

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
The single most impactful thing that you could do to help improve Cowboy Wrestling in the near term is to join the Cowboy Wrestling Club. This money goes directly to the RTC, which is going to use that money to bring in high level senior level athletes, foreign national teams, and coaches to help train our athletes up to compete for world and Olympic titles... and also prepare them for the NCAA season.

https://www.cowboywrestlingclub.com/

USA Wrestling developed the idea of the “Regional Training Center” to help promote amateur wrestling and give athletes the opportunity to train and develop closer to home. A key focus is to raise the relevancy of wrestling on college campuses. Within NCAA rules, RTCs provide additional opportunities for college coaches to further develop and enhance their individual program. This cooperative effort strengthens the connection between the Olympic Movement and college athletics.
I joined a couple months ago. They're happy to take my money, lol. And as an alum I'd rather donate to OSU Wrestling than the OSU general fund (I think they're doing okay lol)

Any news on the RTC coaching situation? Are they looking for one?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I joined a couple months ago. They're happy to take my money, lol. And as an alum I'd rather donate to OSU Wrestling than the OSU general fund (I think they're doing okay lol)

Any news on the RTC coaching situation? Are they looking for one?
Derek Fix is the head coach for the Cowboy RTC. Zo El Ouarraqe is an assistant and head kid's club coach. The kids love him and the athletes love him too. Great technician. They are looking to bolster the staff and roster in the coming months. Expect some announcements after the World Championships.

Derek Fix is the head coach for the Cowboy RTC. Zo El Ouarraqe is an assistant and head kid's club coach. The kids love him and the athletes love him too. Great technician. They are looking to bolster the staff and roster in the coming months. Expect some announcements after the World Championships.
This is part of the problem. Look at the other top programs (PSU, Iowa, etc.). Who is coaching their RTCs? Former Olympic and world medalists and multiple time national champions. Derek Fix? How does he excite anyone? I've known him for a long time and don't have anything against him, but he's the coach because John wanted Daton. That's not a good enough reason. Look at the staffs of other top programs' rtcs and clubs. OSU needs to get someone with an international resume that will bring excitement, someone that big time recruits will want to train with. We don't have that right now.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
This is part of the problem. Look at the other top programs (PSU, Iowa, etc.). Who is coaching their RTCs? Former Olympic and world medalists and multiple time national champions. Derek Fix? How does he excite anyone? I've known him for a long time and don't have anything against him, but he's the coach because John wanted Daton. That's not a good enough reason. Look at the staffs of other top programs' rtcs and clubs. OSU needs to get someone with an international resume that will bring excitement, someone that big time recruits will want to train with. We don't have that right now.
Join the Cowboy Wrestling Club and that money will go directly to hiring more coaches and training partners for the RTC. You have a direct line to helping improve the situation.

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
Right? Who is Zo? Who is Derek Fix? Do either of them have championships? Are either of them known outside of whoever they've coached? Is it good enough to be likeable and want to coach wrestling?