OSU Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Right? Who is Zo? Who is Derek Fix? Do either of them have championships? Are either of them known outside of whoever they've coached? Is it good enough to be likeable and want to coach wrestling?
Zo was a 5 time member of the French national team... Ask Jamil Kelly if it's important. Or Sean Bormet at Michigan. How many titles does he have?

Gary Wayne Harding is considered to be one of the best up and coming assistant coaches in wrestling. He's credited directly with the success of Austin O'Connor and Kazhan Clarke.

Jordan Burroughs considers Jordan Oliver to be one of the best technical freestyle coaches in the world... and that's kind of showing with Yianni. JO, obviously, was a great college wrestler and is a very good wrestler on the senior level... but his passion isn't necessarily in coaching at the moment as he continues to compete. He actually quit coaching because his head and heart just wan't in it.

Heck.. a name that gets floated around every time this comes up is Daniel Cormier. How many titles did he win? I love DC and would love for him to come back to Stillwater if that is in the cards for him... because he's likable and wants to coach wrestling. Not because of his accomplishments on the mat.

Those that can aren't always great teachers... and great teachers aren't always those that can. Don't misplace priorities on this kind of thing.

Again... and I know you've joined, Alex... but if you want to see change in these areas, join the CWC. You can actually measurably make a difference in this area.

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
Zo was a 5 time member of the French national team... Ask Jamil Kelly if it's important. Or Sean Bormet at Michigan. How many titles does he have?

Gary Wayne Harding is considered to be one of the best up and coming assistant coaches in wrestling. He's credited directly with the success of Austin O'Connor and Kazhan Clarke.

Jordan Burroughs considers Jordan Oliver to be one of the best technical freestyle coaches in the world... and that's kind of showing with Yianni. JO, obviously, was a great college wrestler and is a very good wrestler on the senior level... but his passion isn't necessarily in coaching at the moment as he continues to compete. He actually quit coaching because his head and heart just wan't in it.

Heck.. a name that gets floated around every time this comes up is Daniel Cormier. How many titles did he win? I love DC and would love for him to come back to Stillwater if that is in the cards for him... because he's likable and wants to coach wrestling. Not because of his accomplishments on the mat.

Those that can aren't always great teachers... and great teachers aren't always those that can. Don't misplace priorities on this kind of thing.

Again... and I know you've joined, Alex... but if you want to see change in these areas, join the CWC. You can actually measurably make a difference in this area.
Well there goes my selective memory thinking DC won NCAAs, lol. I do think that his incredible post-grad success as a competitor and being a household name from his MMA career would set him apart to attract recruits. Kids are recruited from 15 - 18 and there's a lot of emotion in their decision on committing to a program. My feeling is that Cowboy faithful would just like a *little more* from the staff and administration and it would be nice to have a John Smith level stud take over the RTC and/or the HC job when John retires. I mean, it'll be fine one way or another. And maybe Perry/Espo/Caldwell/Derek Fix/Zo can get it there, who knows. Can't deny the draw of a superstar coach that everybody knows. It'll be a lot of pressure to take over the historic Cowboy Wrestling program. Best case scenario the current coaching staff can elevate us back up to the top and build a solid RTC before handing off the reigns.

Sep 6, 2014
All but two of the guys in our probable lineup next season were top 30 p4p recruits in their respective recruiting classes.... to say we're not getting talent or recruiting well is misguided.

I agree, recruiting has not been a problem at all, we have recruited some amazing classes including the #1 overall class in 2020......which just goes to show, if recruiting isn't the problem then it is the coaching or their evaluation on the kids they are signing

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I agree, recruiting has not been a problem at all, we have recruited some amazing classes including the #1 overall class in 2020......which just goes to show, if recruiting isn't the problem then it is the coaching or their evaluation on the kids they are signing
Injuries have been the big problem.

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
Boy I sure would like wrestling to be a fall sport. Everybody's getting all hyped for football which is fine but I want to get hyped too! Bring out the mats! :)

Mar 8, 2010
For us older guys top ten finishes are a major disappointment. Show me a title ever so often to keep my excitement level up. Ask any Alabama football fan how they’d feel about finishing in the top five but no NC and they’d tell you it was a disappointing season. When I was in school wrestling attracted more fans to Gallagher Hall than basketball and I never missed a match. We were the Bama of collegiate wrestling back then. It’s all about your perspective and I still expect NC’s in wrestling and always will because that’s how I grew up in college.

Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
My season ticket have a match on 10/01/2022. It doesn’t say against but it says I have tickets.
Doesn't that seem early? I can't find a schedule yet. Would like to make it back to Stilly for one of those two-dual weekends, perhaps.

For us older guys top ten finishes are a major disappointment. Show me a title ever so often to keep my excitement level up. Ask any Alabama football fan how they’d feel about finishing in the top five but no NC and they’d tell you it was a disappointing season. When I was in school wrestling attracted more fans to Gallagher Hall than basketball and I never missed a match. We were the Bama of collegiate wrestling back then. It’s all about your perspective and I still expect NC’s in wrestling and always will because that’s how I grew up in college.
I think a lot of the Cowboy faithful feel this way, even younger fans. It can be hard to keep the faith sometimes especially through injuries and other teams changing the sport (mainly Penn State). Even if we aren't winning the team title, more individual national champions is my expectation and I think our squad can get there if they can keep healthy and energized. Heck if OSU football can keep fans excited through the terrible performances in the 90s and early 2000s, I think OSU Wrestling can do the same :)

Of course we can have a whole discussion about the current state of OSU Wrestling - several years' worth of injured squads, missing the boat on the RTC developments and transfer portal, still finishing in the top 3 several years despite those circumstances, etc etc. but I'm just excited for the upcoming season.

Last edited:

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
If you only support the team when they're winning national titles, then we won't get top recruits, then it gets harder to win national titles, then you're in a death spiral.

You're right... the bar is national titles and finishing short of that is disappointing... but that doesn't mean you should not go to duals, tournaments, or events.

Sep 6, 2014
What really bothers me is that a school like freaking UPenn RTC has a coach like Brandon Slay and top senior level wrestlers like Jordan Burroughs, Mark Hall and Joey McKenna and the Oklahoma State RTC has Daton Fix's daddy and no top level senior level wrestlers aside from Daton himself. It's a big problem and a big hole that we have to dig out of

alex1fly

Greenhorn
Jul 6, 2022
Colorado
What really bothers me is that a school like freaking UPenn RTC has a coach like Brandon Slay and top senior level wrestlers like Jordan Burroughs, Mark Hall and Joey McKenna and the Oklahoma State RTC has Daton Fix's daddy and no top level senior level wrestlers aside from Daton himself. It's a big problem and a big hole that we have to dig out of
Amen. This is what I alluded to in an earlier post. Hoping we can turn that around ASAP!