OSU Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
Every time I buy a lottery ticket for one of the huge jackpots, as part of the lottery dreams, a big chunk of the winnings go to OSU wrestling. I still have a program from 1976 with the whole teams autographs including Jimmy Jackson and Daryl Monasmith. Those were some epic times.

Apr 14, 2009
Fortunately for John a lot of the old school white jacket club alumni have passed on in the last 15 years. Otherwise he would already be a full time rancher.

Sep 6, 2014
John Smith REFUSING to have an RTC for the greatest wrestling program in history shows he is behind the times and it may be time to move on. RTC's are a huge part of wrestling today and is massive for recruiting and quite frankly it's embarrassing that we don't have our own especially when we have a couple of homegrown guys who are top 10 in the world like Fix and Ringer that could lead the program and get more top international guys to come to Stillwater and be training partners for our college kids

Sep 6, 2014
Question...
I thought John would retire after getting Joe through, then came Daton.
I thought he might step away after Daton, then comes AJ and little brothers.
I see Sam coming up in a couple years so that's at least another 6 yrs.

When do you see him stepping away and is Zach the heir apparent? With Chris staying #2?

I'm 99% sure Chris will be taking over the helm whenever John leaves. I don't know if they will but I think they should take a hard look at Daniel Cormier when that time comes, he's currently coaching a top high school program in Cali (Gilroy) and having a world wide celebrity like that as our face of the program would be massive

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Fortunately for John a lot of the old school white jacket club alumni have passed on in the last 15 years. Otherwise he would already be a full time rancher.
When he finally does retire he'd be a heck of a commentator. He did great in the Olympic coverage.

But lets face it, I know some fans have an issue with John's coaching style and the fact that the last of his four National Titles was in 2006, but the fact is he is largely considered to be the greatest wrestler in the history of the sport and he's the most decorated wrestler in history with two NCAA Titles and Six World titles.

He and he alone will name his departure date from OSU, not anyone else. That's just a fact.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
And while we're dreaming of possibly keeping up with the Big Ten schools in facilities, Iowa just stepped up to start a women's program.
Like with Jello?

I apologize, female wrestling is a bit of a paradigm shift for me.

Sep 6, 2014
He and he alone will name his departure date from OSU, not anyone else. That's just a fact.
except that it's literally not a fact. Many coaching legends have been forced out the door including Bobby Douglas when Cael decided he wanted his job. Whenever Jordan Burroughs decides he wants to coach Nebraska, Mark Manning will be told, "thanks for everything" and have all of his stuff boxed up by lunch. You never know what's gonna happen and 15 years and counting without a national title doesn't help his cause

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
And while we're dreaming of possibly keeping up with the Big Ten schools in facilities, Iowa just stepped up to start a women's program.
Like with Jello?

I apologize, female wrestling is a bit of a paradigm shift for me.
If you didn’t watch the women Olympics, it was really good wrestling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
The guy that donated the big $$ isnt really even a baseball guy, they just sold him on legacy. You cant tell me there isnt big $$ out there for wrestling, with as successful as we have been.
The guy that donated the big $$ isnt really even a baseball guy, they just sold him on legacy. You cant tell me there isnt big $$ out there for wrestling, with as successful as we have been.
baseball guy or not he cut a check, which is all that matters, he might not be a baseball guy, but he sure bought into making a difference. Holder and Holliday got it done. There might be a guy for wrestling but so far no dice. The fact that hasn’t got done yet suggest no one wants to cut that big check. When that happens, wrestling will get the facility it deserves.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
except that it's literally not a fact. Many coaching legends have been forced out the door including Bobby Douglas when Cael decided he wanted his job. Whenever Jordan Burroughs decides he wants to coach Nebraska, Mark Manning will be told, "thanks for everything" and have all of his stuff boxed up by lunch. You never know what's gonna happen and 15 years and counting without a national title doesn't help his cause
There is no scenario where that happens to John Smith. Mark Manning is not John Smith by any stretch of the imagination. I will bet any amount of money Smith is our coach for at least 5 more years. He'll be into his 60's by then and will likely retire on his own. Bob Stoops won "one" NCAA title but won the Big 12 nearly every year. Bob could name his retirement date and he did. John's record is far superior to Stoops in Football in both NCAA titles and Big 12 Titles. Bob went out on his own terms. So will John......

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
baseball guy or not he cut a check, which is all that matters, he might not be a baseball guy, but he sure bought into making a difference. Holder and Holliday got it done. There might be a guy for wrestling but so far no dice. The fact that hasn’t got done yet suggest no one wants to cut that big check. When that happens, wrestling will get the facility it deserves.
Which makes me wonder a couple of things. First, did Boone not leave any residual from his estate for something like this? Second, I wonder how much the university (and maybe more specifically the AD) stands to receive as beneficiary to life insurance policies left to them. Maybe some very elderly well-to-do alums were kind and we just don’t yet know it.

Sep 6, 2014
There is no scenario where that happens to John Smith. Mark Manning is not John Smith by any stretch of the imagination. I will bet any amount of money Smith is our coach for at least 5 more years. He'll be into his 60's by then and will likely retire on his own. Bob Stoops won "one" NCAA title but won the Big 12 nearly every year. Bob could name his retirement date and he did. John's record is far superior to Stoops in Football in both NCAA titles and Big 12 Titles. Bob went out on his own terms. So will John......
Your'e comparing apples to chicken nuggets, it just has zero relevance. I'm not trying to kick John out the door but he needs to change with the times. We NEED a legit Cowboy RTC

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Your'e comparing apples to chicken nuggets, it just has zero relevance. I'm not trying to kick John out the door but he needs to change with the times. We NEED a legit Cowboy RTC
Are you sure that’s his decision to make? He can request that one be established but he doesn’t have the authority to snap his fingers and make it happen….Our new AD needs to put a greater emphasis on Wrestling.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Are you sure that’s his decision to make? He can request that one be established but he doesn’t have the authority to snap his fingers and make it happen….Our new AD needs to put a greater emphasis on Wrestling.
It may not be just John, but he does seem to be very hesitant to go all in on the RTC.
It’s my understanding that he is allowing some fundraising for the RTC to start happening, and has gotten out of the way a bit. for what that’s worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Which makes me wonder a couple of things. First, did Boone not leave any residual from his estate for something like this? Second, I wonder how much the university (and maybe more specifically the AD) stands to receive as beneficiary to life insurance policies left to them. Maybe some very elderly well-to-do alums were kind and we just don’t yet know it.
i don’t think he did IMO but you never know. At the end of the wrestling needs to find that “big donor” like numerous sports around campus have found. It would also help if Coach Smith would come around to the new era of collegiate wrestling, which is still a problem to this day.