OSU's Year in Sports 2021-22

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
So what grade would you give? We won the Bedlam Cup, beat OU in football, made a big splash with the summer sports. Really good, one of the better years we have had; but I'm left with a feeling that either football or baseball should have at least made the playoffs for a NC. Football had a great year beating ND in their bowl, but the B12 Championship game was a tough pill to swallow. The early loss to in the baseball regional tournament was a killer, but we burned out fighting back through the loser's bracket, playing some great games with grit. Softball all he way to the WS Semis! Some disappointments in other sports. I'd say a solid B, maybe even a B+. Had any major mens or womens sports won a NC, then it would have been an A.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I like B+. Been a Cowboy fan for 60 years and certainly hoped for a few more breaks going our way, but that's life. Each sport has one memorable team every year, the champion. The rest are disappointed. My greatest pleasure from OSU was receiving an engineering degree at a very affordable price. I'll stop digressing.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
A good year, but full of missed opportunities in football, mens basketball (thanks NCAA), softball, baseball, and golf.
A good year, but full of missed opportunities in football, mens basketball (thanks NCAA), softball, baseball, and golf.
That;s right, I forgot about golf - we were close to an NC there as well. So what grade would you give?

Jan 1, 2022
Moore
1 more yard in the Big 12 title football game, decent pitching in baseball, one bad inning in ws softball,etc... Lotta close calls. Seasons full of joy and heartbreak. The life of a OSU fan. I'd say a B, maybe B+.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
B to B-. Highlights were the Equestrian championship, the conference softball tournament, and the cross country teams. Outside of those, there was so much missed opportunity this year.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
The fact that we were so over ranked in all the Spring sports kind of skews the results.

Women's Golf- #6? Get out of here. That team performed to about what their correct ranking actually should have been. They were probably somewhere between 15-25 and that's exactly where they finished.

Men's Golf - #2. I never saw it with this team. They had some talented guys, but not #2 in the country talented. Probably a solid top 10 team. That's exactly where they finished.

Baseball - #7 national seed was a joke. I would have been thrilled with being a 13 seed but thought there was a good chance they made us travel as a 2 seed. I wouldn't have been disappointed since we peed down our leg when it mattered. Drawing Arkansas, who seemed extremely underseeded was some bad luck, but we used up any grace we had in the last two weeks of the season. I'm not sure what regional champ we could have beat, so I feel like they pretty much maxed out making a regional final. Blowing that 5 run lead was pretty painful, but that's exactly who this team was. Looking at seeds, you'd think we got upset. I feel like we almost overachieved taking UA to the limit. Much better team and program than ours at this point.

Softball - It kind of gets lost in the painful end, but we really exceeded our seeding and reasonable expectations.

Women's tennis did well making the final 16. At least I think they did. I don't really follow tennis on a national level so I don't even know what we were ranked.

If football had been able to get one more yard, I'd give this year a B or B-. As it is, felt more like a C or C+. I expect more of our golf teams, baseball (I won't be making that mistake again until they actually win something), and wrestling was an unmitigated disaster. The good news is all of those programs could rebound next year and deliver a solid A. Bad news is, with the changing landscape of college sports, this may be the best year we experience any time soon. That looming $30 mil haircut we have coming up with TV rights (correct me if my number is wrong. Please correct me. I beg of someone), we may not be seeing these "heights" again. It sucks, but if you're not in the SEC or BIG, college sports is probably going to be a lot different for you going forward. We have a 2-4 year window maybe to make some noise. NIL makes that tenuous even. After that, I just don't see how we compete nationally at most sports outside of golf.

Nov 8, 2013
Great question.

By Sport:
Football: A (Bedlam, Texas, Baylor, and Notre Dame WINS. 12 wins for the season. 1 yard away from an A+. 1 yard and another win away from an A+++, and 1 yard and 2 wins away from Iowa State being able to say they beat the eventual National Champion. Only the pain of that 1 yard makes this past year anything other than an A for any OSU fan. Seriously.)
M Basketball: C (This is the highest a 15-15 record can go. I pull the C from N_AA due to the draconian probation decision. I love Coach B. Better days are ahead.)
Wrestling: D (I love Cowboy Wrestling, but expectations are too high for a 13-4 dual record with losses to Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Iowa, and Missouri combined with a 4th place finish in the conference and a 14th place finish at Nationals to grade any higher than a D. Injuries, including AJ's crash injury, were simply devastating to this year's results. Once again - better days are ahead.)
Baseball: B (A 45-22 season record with series wins against the likes of Vanderbilt, Arizona State, ou, and Texas. Peaked in the Top 5 of the national rankings. Hosted a Regional. Big moments, but ultimately fell short of the goals.)
Softball: A (What a season. Expectations were high and the team finished with the best result in program history. The losses to Texas in the WCWS were, of course, painful. But losing your #2 pitcher late in the season and still making the run to the WCWS semi-finals was impressive. Looking forward to watching Cowgirl Softball take the next step.)
M Golf: B- (Like Wrestling, expectations for Cowboy Golf are always very high. 2nd in conference, winning a Regional, and 5th in Nationals is enough to earn a B-.)
W Basketball: D (Thanks to Coach Littell for leading Cowgirl Basketball through the years after the tragedy. There were many excellent seasons. Looking forward to seeing what happens in the coming years.)
W Golf: B (2nd in conference, 3rd in Regional, 19th at Nationals.)
M Tennis: C- (12-12 record.)
W Tennis: A- (20-6 record, 12th ranked, lost in round of 16 in National tournament.)
Equestrian: A+ (National Championship. What more can you ask other than NCAA recognition of this sport?!)
Soccer: C+ (9-6-2 regular season record and 1st round loss in conference tournament. Recent success drops this result into the C-level.)
M&W Cross Country: A (Thanks to @superpoke in the following comment for the input - both cross country teams won conference championships. Men's CC was 3rd at nationals, women were 13th.)
M&W Track & Field: C (Thanks to @superpoke in the following comment for the input - no significant results for T&F)

Overall: A-
It was crucial that we had one of our best football years in 2021 since we're in the midst of a seismic shift in collegiate athletic structures (conference realignment, NIL, etc.). That weights the football results significantly. Combine football with an all-sports Bedlam Series win, a National Championship in Equestrian, and high-visibility strong showings in Softball, Baseball, and Golf and you have a very successful sports year. Wrestling was an anomaly, and I believe Basketball was as well due to the NCAA sanctions.

Go Pokes!

Last edited:

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Great question.

By Sport:
Football: A (Bedlam, Texas, Baylor, and Notre Dame WINS. 12 wins for the season. 1 yard away from an A+. 1 yard and another win away from an A+++, and 1 yard and 2 wins away from Iowa State being able to say they beat the eventual National Champion. Only the pain of that 1 yard makes this past year anything other than an A for any OSU fan. Seriously.)
M Basketball: C (This is the highest a 15-15 record can go. I pull the C from N_AA due to the draconian probation decision. I love Coach B. Better days are ahead.)
Wrestling: D (I love Cowboy Wrestling, but expectations are too high for a 13-4 dual record with losses to Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Iowa, and Missouri combined with a 4th place finish in the conference and a 14th place finish at Nationals to grade any higher than a D. Injuries, including AJ's crash injury, were simply devastating to this year's results. Once again - better days are ahead.)
Baseball: B (A 45-22 season record with series wins against the likes of Vanderbilt, Arizona State, ou, and Texas. Peaked in the Top 5 of the national rankings. Hosted a Regional. Big moments, but ultimately fell short of the goals.)
Softball: A (What a season. Expectations were high and the team finished with the best result in program history. The losses to Texas in the WCWS were, of course, painful. But losing your #2 pitcher late in the season and still making the run to the WCWS semi-finals was impressive. Looking forward to watching Cowgirl Softball take the next step.)
M Golf: B- (Like Wrestling, expectations for Cowboy Golf are always very high. 2nd in conference, winning a Regional, and 5th in Nationals is enough to earn a B-.)
W Basketball: D (Thanks to Coach Littell for leading Cowgirl Basketball through the years after the tragedy. There were many excellent seasons. Looking forward to seeing what happens in the coming years.)
W Tennis: A- (20-6 record, 12th ranked, lost in round of 16 in National tournament.)
Equestrian: A+ (National Championship. What more can you ask other than NCAA recognition of this sport?!)
Soccer: C+ (9-6-2 regular season record and 1st round loss in conference tournament. Recent success drops this result into the C-level.)
M&W Track & Field and Cross Country: I (Incomplete) (The "I" is for me. I am not current enough or fluent enough to really gauge what they did this year and how that compares.)

It was crucial that we had one of our best football years in 2021 since we're in the midst of a seismic shift in collegiate athletic structures (conference realignment, NIL, etc.). That weights the football results significantly. Combine football with an all-sports Bedlam Series win, a National Championship in Equestrian, and high-visibility strong showings in Softball, Baseball, and Golf and you have a very successful sports year. Wrestling was an anomaly, and I believe Basketball was as well due to the NCAA sanctions.

Go Pokes!
All four track teams were also-rans, but both cross country teams won conference championships. Men's CC was 3rd at nationals, women were 13th.

The Poke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Great question.

By Sport:
M&W Track & Field and Cross Country: I (Incomplete) (The "I" is for me. I am not current enough or fluent enough to really gauge what they did this year and how that compares.)

Go Pokes!
I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking an A- overall. Personally, even with the recent disappointments, I've never been this excited about Oklahoma State Athletics across the landscape.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Man, tough scale by some here if NCs is the good/no good point

if almost all of your teams are ranked in top 20 ….. that’s pretty damn good even w/o the elusive NC
Really only Basketball wasn’t in that grouping

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I'd say B or B-

Football is of course the driving force, and it had a memorable season only marred by probably two plays. Beating Oklahoma, Texas, and Notre Dame in the same season is a big deal.

Both basketball teams were a major disappointment, as was wrestling, no matter the reasons.

To me, everyone else but softball had average to below average seasons. Softball met and exceeded expectations, but I had hoped for more out of baseball in the postseason, and really the last month of the season.

Nov 8, 2013
Man, tough scale by some here if NCs is the good/no good point

if almost all of your teams are ranked in top 20 ….. that’s pretty damn good even w/o the elusive NC
Really only Basketball wasn’t in that grouping
I really agree with you. But Top 20 for Wrestling and Golf aren't what those programs expect, so they need their own scale.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking an A- overall. Personally, even with the recent disappointments, I've never been this excited about Oklahoma State Athletics across the landscape.
Yep - some pretty irrational emotions in the responses. Some people take it personally I guess.

Honestly, basketball (both m/f) is the one that I think deserves the most scrutiny and lowest grades. And that pains me to say it. I quit watching the guys at one point, just couldn’t do it anymore. Hopefully the girls issues were addressed with the change. Both were life sucks in the winter.

Add Wrestling finishing the way they did and spring couldn’t get here fast enough.

The rest were all pretty enjoyable to watch all year.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I'd say B or B-

Football is of course the driving force, and it had a memorable season only marred by probably two plays. Beating Oklahoma, Texas, and Notre Dame in the same season is a big deal.

Both basketball teams were a major disappointment, as was wrestling, no matter the reasons.

To me, everyone else but softball had average to below average seasons. Softball met and exceeded expectations, but I had hoped for more out of baseball in the postseason, and really the last month of the season.
That is eerily similar to what I just posted. And I hadn’t seen this one yet. :eek:

Dec 9, 2013
I love to win and hate to lose. I walked out of Jerry’s World as mad as I was when we ran Nate Simmons up the middle against NU at Arrowhead. I was also so frustrated at Boynton and MBB.

But at the end of the day as a family we celebrated a fun night against TCU. An unbelievable once in a lifetime night at BPS against uo. An ok day at the Big12 game. And a great week in Phoenix w an even greater win against ND. Basketball as frustrating as it was was fun to return to as was wrestling. Going to games at O’brate on Sunday’s w the family was a blast and spending the regional weekend w my son at O’Brate and watching those 2 games on Sunday was as fun a day as I’ve had at the ballpark. For our family going to OSU sports events together w 3 generations is what it’s about. For those reasons the year was an A for me. But most are.