OU coach gone: official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I had read a report by a lawyer in the KC Star (I think) that when Bowlsby sent his letter accusing ESPN it essentially made that impossible for interference reasons.
This could get awkward fast. If OU is stuck in the Big 12 for two more years with recruits bailing, they need a homerun hire and that may be tough to do.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Another thought. OU pretty much MUST make a hire fast. They can't let Bob handle this through to the post-season. Early signing day is Dec 15th. They need to make the biggest hire they can THIS WEEK (or even today) and let him go to work trying to save the recruits and players from leaving. Only two guys that come to mind that MIGHT make that happen are Matt Campbell and Brent Venables.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Another thought. OU pretty much MUST make a hire fast. They can't let Bob handle this through to the post-season. Early signing day is Dec 15th. They need to make the biggest hire they can THIS WEEK (or even today) and let him go to work trying to save the recruits and players from leaving. Only two guys that come to mind that MIGHT make that happen are Matt Campbell and Brent Venables.
My thoughts are Campbell knows what he has at ISU and that is a Gundy level contract and support. Also Venables may still hold a grudge that he was basically kicked out of OU by nepotism. Guess we will see if those guys would even consider that gig.

JohnW

Wrangler
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
If I were OU Id go after Josh Hypel at Tennessee vs Venables, close call on vs Campbell but I think OU would see grabbing another Big 12 teams couch as beneath them

Aug 7, 2006
Obviously they could transfer with him if he were to take the OU job, but I think Venables is probably staying at Clemson until his kids are done playing.

Aug 19, 2006
Hard to see top level recruits being excited about any of the HC prospects available to OU right now. Riley’s brand had massive recruiting equity based on his QB development and the team success that led to.

Who else would match that kind of buzz? Just don’t see 5 star recruits getting excited about a Campbell, Venables, Stoops type hire.

Do any of those candidates think they could sustain Riley's level of success once they move to the SEC? The fan base will crucify them if there is a drop-off and they aren't winning conference championships every year. 8-4 or 7-5 isn't going to fly. Do they really want to put themselves in that position?

And OU is now competing head-to-head with LSU for the top candidates available. LSU has an established track record of successfully competing in the SEC. That would be the safer career move.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
OU fans are now saying Lincoln NYE too ally lost Bedlam so he could leave without worrying about the Big 12 Championship. Our win doesn’t count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, they say we shouldn't be happy about it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Hard to see top level recruits being excited about any of the HC prospects available to OU right now. Riley’s brand had massive recruiting equity based on his QB development and the team success that led to.

Who else would march that kind of buzz? Just don’t see 5 star recruits getting excited about a Campbell, Venables, Stoops type hire.
I agree. OU is going to have to steal a perceived “big name” from a “big program”. Finding themselves this late in the coaching carousel that’s been going on all year, is a huge blow. AND I LOVE IT!:lol::pistols:

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Lots of time to reflect on this. Man I feel bad for OU. Yes there is an element of me that enjoys watching it, but mostly I either feel bad for them or I am captivated as a 3rd party observer.

I think the real cause of this is not Lincoln Riley himself acting unethically. Rather it is the current college football environment that may make this a truly nuked situation for OU. College football coaching changes were already a wild west situation that needed to be fixed. Then they added the early signing day which just made it way worse. Couple that with completely opening up transfers and you make it really easy to completely tank a program over night. The same could easily happen to any other program in the nation.

This needs to be taken as a wake up call for the NCAA (or whoever it would be) that changes need to be made prevent this situation from being possible. I don't know enough to say what that could/should be, but something needs to be done. It is OU today, but it could easily be us sometime in the future.
I honestly want to know how you feel bad for OU? All Bedlam Rivalry aside and Sooner fan antics and shenanigans aside….

OU paired up with Texas to go behind our backs and bolt for the SEC. They almost killed the Big12 with this move. There has always been a bond between OU and OSU and they destroyed all trust by sneaking off to the SEC.

We’re not talking about losing a coach and a few recruits, we’re talking about losing 30-40% of our TV revenue because of their actions. THAT will tank a program.

Our financial stability is in jeopardy. The revenue division between the haves and have nots is going to rapidly grow. 100 year old rivalry in jeopardy. All so they could make more money and secure their own future.

My hope is that this sends them into a tailspin similar to Nebraska. I don’t think it will happen but I would love it. They can be like their big brother (Texas) enjoying millions of dollars and get to spent the holidays at home watching the bowl games rather than missing family time have to go play.