OU coach gone: official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
You are right, but take this into consideration before you think Riley is the only scumbag in this deal:
1. The goon mouthpieces have been on Riley all year, they have openly said harsh stuff. (You get paid $7,200,000 not enough to leave)
2. They chose to go to the SEC. (Not enough to leave)
3. Your AD appears to be hovering around your program, reference who instantly appears at Baylor when Riley is having his meltdown (WTH, why isn't he up in a suite)
4. The admin wants to negotiate about what is necessary going to the SEC ( WTH, is the gooner nation broke?)
5. The admin is telling you that you must win in the SEC like you have in the Big XII.
6. You know who's head is gonna roll is you don't win in the SEC (his name doesn't have a J, O or E in the first name)
7. You just watched your admin throw over 100 years of tradition, business and political relationships away and say it's just business.

I'm getting the heck out of dodge. I wouldn't have lied to everyone, but I don't think waiting around for the Joe's to meet your demands is very smart either.
I don't have a problem with the decision cause I don't care. All of those are valid issues, but how you treat the players matters to me. The worst part about Les was his treatment of the players on his way out. It was pathetic. So is this, and apparently same thing from Kelly at Notre Dame.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That guy has a face for the radio, and a voice for the newspaper. How he managed to stay on air for this long is an indictment on the complete lack of sports radio talent in Oklahoma.
Really hoping the sport animal picks up Sam after the franchise so unjustly fired him. He needs to become the heir to Al and Jim. Al can't be long for the radio and Jim and Sam would be fun together.
Wow I haven't listened to the franchise in a long time. What happened to Sam?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I don't have a problem with the decision cause I don't care. All of those are valid issues, but how you treat the players matters to me. The worst part about Les was his treatment of the players on his way out. It was pathetic. So is this, and apparently same thing from Kelly at Notre Dame.
Les didn't treat anyone very good, I have a sneaking suspicion Riley may be closer to a Les than we think.

Aug 14, 2005
You are right, but take this into consideration before you think Riley is the only scumbag in this deal:
1. The goon mouthpieces have been on Riley all year, they have openly said harsh stuff. (You get paid $7,200,000 not enough to leave)
3. Your AD appears to be hovering around your program, reference who instantly appears at Baylor when Riley is having his meltdown (WTH, why isn't he up in a suite)
4. The admin wants to negotiate about what is necessary going to the SEC ( WTH, is the gooner nation broke?)
5. The admin is telling you that you must win in the SEC like you have in the Big XII. (Ruh Ro)
6. You know who's head is gonna roll is you don't win in the SEC (his name doesn't have a J, O or E in the first name)
7. You just watched your admin throw over 100 years of tradition, business and political relationships away and say it's just business. (Not a good indication of fidelity with the Coach Log)

I'm getting the heck out of dodge. I wouldn't have lied to everyone, but I don't think waiting around for the Joe's to meet your demands is very smart either.
I forgot about Riley’s meltdown at the end of the Baylor game. It was fun watching him go absolutely nutso. But not as much fun as this — watching OU fans go berserk because their coach is leaving.

Aug 16, 2012
Dykes is only 8-4 this year and wasn’t very successful at Cal. I think his hire will benefit the rest of the Conference teams more than TCU.
And I have been saying I think SMU is on the rise due to NIL money from their deep pocket boosters. But imagine being a TCU trustee when your options are Deion Sanders or Sonny Dykes to this point.

Apr 7, 2006
I don't feel sorry for the school. I feel for those young men. I know they have an amazing opportunity, but they chose Oklahoma for a reason and Lincoln sold them out so hard, IMO. This is WORSE than Les Miles by a long shot. He is gutting this program and has been prepping for a long time. I realize it's a business, but as a man I couldn't imagine looking myself in the mirror after this. I'm ugly though.
We keep talking about college football players like it's the 70s. Most of these kids are part of the money machine and had only as much loyalty to OU as the money they could make from it or from getting drafted. Just as soon as things start going sideways most will hit the road to look for the next payday. I have sympathy for those that this isn't the case, but I fear that's the minority of that team.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
5. The admin is telling you that you must win in the SEC like you have in the Big XII. (Ruh Ro)
7. You just watched your admin throw over 100 years of tradition, business and political relationships away and say it's just business. (Not a good indication of fidelity with the Coach Log)

Best take on this that I’ve seen. Stealing it for social media

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I will concede to you and @Deere Poke as you recall the circumstances with much greater insight than me. I just knew he left after brother was hired and being OU, I really did not look into it much further than that.
Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. That entire situation was pretty crazy, and although Bob tried to appease both, it was clear blood ran pretty thick and yea, I’m sure Brent felt unfairly slighted. I just thank the Lord I don’t have to wake up everyday as a Sooner fan :D

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I have long dreamed of telling my grandchildren some day this story of ou football “believe it or not Lil’OSU125, before they were struggling for 4 win seasons, there was a time when ou was a respected football power. But like their buddies in Nebraska they got a little big for their britches.”

Praying that the planets are aligning…..

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011