Our position in the National Polls this year!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

As the season progresses.......

• We will not crack the Top 25 at any point this season

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't think a 4-0 start would make top 15 considering where we'll start. Especially when you look at the first 3 opponents.
It depends on what Texas does. If they make it to our game undefeated and we beat them, the media will be racing each other to be the first to declare us the surprise team of the year.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
It also depends on what the current 20-25 ranked teams do. If we are 3 - 0 and a couple of the lowest of the 25 are upset we could maaaybe crack the top 25. But I think it would take both of those things for it to happen. We go 3 - 0 and the lower ranked teams all also win their non-con games, then no dice. Too many other teams between 25th and where we are ranked now for us to pop up early.

I really think we would need to be undefeated and beat UT to get ranked. Three wins and a loss to UT, even a "morale victory" close loss, would be exactly what's expected and no cause to move us up.

Nov 8, 2013
It also depends on what the current 20-25 ranked teams do. If we are 3 - 0 and a couple of the lowest of the 25 are upset we could maaaybe crack the top 25. But I think it would take both of those things for it to happen. We go 3 - 0 and the lower ranked teams all also win their non-con games, then no dice. Too many other teams between 25th and where we are ranked now for us to pop up early.

I really think we would need to be undefeated and beat UT to get ranked. Three wins and a loss to UT, even a "morale victory" close loss, would be exactly what's expected and no cause to move us up.
Agree. I actually think we have practically no chance of being ranked at 3-0. Even if our average margin of victory is 50 per game.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Ahhh, it's my stupid Tapatalk on my iPad. Doesn't show on there. Still shows on my laptop and about the ratio of responses that I expected. I'd say the third response are the "realists" and the 4th are the "Optimists". I think either scenario is possible but just based on the fact that the third choice reflects more of our history than any other it may be more likely. I'm happy to be included in the "Optimist" group though!

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We go 3 - 0 we're ranked. Teams move pretty fast early in the year.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
It depends on what Texas does. If they make it to our game undefeated and we beat them, the media will be racing each other to be the first to declare us the surprise team of the year.
Man, I don't know... the media in general is always so quick to jump to the conclusion that "TEXAS IS BACK!", so it wouldn't be that unremarkable if we kick the crap out of them at home and then they'd be wrong again for the 7th time in 8 years. It would help if Texas beat LSU and is high up in the ranks (top 10, maybe 5 or 6). Even then, if we go into Austin say at #25 (if we make it there by then, which is possible - we have enough hype outside of the AP) and Texas is #5 or #6, the best we move up at 4-0 is probably 14 or 15.

However, we make it that far - we'll be in good shape.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Agree. I actually think we have practically no chance of being ranked at 3-0. Even if our average margin of victory is 50 per game.
No, we will be ranked at 3-0...even if it's only for Texas to have a top 20 (or at least a top 25) match up. You can take it to the bank that we WILL be ranked at 3-0...even if it's just based on who we play to get to 4-0.

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
That race will occur right after they race to scrub their optimistic articles about UTex that they wrote through the summer. A constant source of amusement across the last decade, at least.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
If they come to our game undefeated and we beat them, the media will start declaring “The Big 12 Conference Is Weak”. They might project us to move up to the Liberty Bowl or Insight Bowl. The only way we get labeled a surprise team is if we beat OU. Then the media will beat the “Big 12 Conference is Weak” even louder. Consequently, the Big 12 wont get a spot in the playoffs...unless we really surprise and go undefeated.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
That race will occur right after they race to scrub their optimistic articles about UTex that they wrote through the summer. A constant source of amusement across the last decade, at least.
It's like my 2 holiday traditions, watching A Christmas Story, and watching Notre Dame lose in a bowl.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
If they come to our game undefeated and we beat them, the media will start declaring “The Big 12 Conference Is Weak”. They might project us to move up to the Liberty Bowl or Insight Bowl. The only way we get labeled a surprise team is if we beat OU. Then the media will beat the “Big 12 Conference is Weak” even louder. Consequently, the Big 12 wont get a spot in the playoffs...unless we really surprise and go undefeated.
I’m good with your last scenario occurring.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I selected top 15 and fade, but I wouldn't call it a fade. I think we are in it after a week or two, and maybe get some serious pub if we beat Texas. I think we have a 8-4/9-3 type season and finish in the bottom half of the top 25, but I wouldn't call it late season fade.