Pentagon to open up about UFO's

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Well, I wouldn't have said, "Wow, so aliens are real?"
but you would have doubted it existence if you had seen a video of the iPod and then Govt come out and said something about it being something they have seen before......wouldn't you have been more prone to believe there was indeed a device like the iPod that existed ? I wouldn't expect anyone to think the ipod was a alien tech when hearing about it the first time, but at least believe there is some object out there that can hold tons of songs...especially if the govt had come out and confirmed they had seen it too.

I think it is highly more likely this is an unknown atmospheric phenomenon interacting with modern radar and technology giving the appearance of something strange.

But we can't deny the fact there are images and confirmation from the Govt something is being recorded and perceived as being witnessed during these events.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Its the military fellers.

All the area 51 stuff was testing of stealth technology. They are UFO's to most people, but they are not aliens.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Solar dust blowing your spaceship apart ?

That's the same kind of thinking that folks said back in the late 1800's when someone predicted that they could travel from East Coast to West Coast in a few hours: "heck, even if you could move that fast your wagon wheels would disintegrate with all the bumps in the road and the bearing would melt with the heat generated. And you'd need fresh horses every 10 miles or they would die from exhaustion, and . . . ".
Well, not if you're in an airplane.

There's technology advances waiting to happen that are a paradigm shift from current convention thinking about what is possible and what's not.
The problem with this line of thinking is that there's nothing in science that says you can't travel from coast to coast in few hours while in atmosphere. You obviously can't do it with wagons and horses, but the math had been developed 200 years earlier with Newton. Those in the 1800's naysaying this weren't using anything outside their own experiences - not the best predictor of progress when we're dealing with math and physics.

The problem with aliens or UFO's or whatever you want to call it is that you have to actually break the laws of physics to do some of these things. Or at the very least you have to negate them to an extreme degree. Now maybe that is possible, but intuition would say otherwise.

What's more likely: UFO's that break known physics or humans misunderstanding events that occur usually at night and usually at speeds far beyond our usual experience?

Can you imagine someone telling you in 1986 when your rocking out with your Walkman and Beastie Boys License to Ill tape.

Every single song you ever heard in your entire life will fit on this device that fits in your pocket and you will be able to customize which songs you want on it and change them at will, it will be rechargeable and be able to play music for 8-10+ hours on one charge and is about the size of one cassette tape
See above, but again... there's a large difference between improving technology within the realm of physics and technology that breaks the laws of physics. The IPod doesn't break any laws.

Its the military fellers.

All the area 51 stuff was testing of stealth technology. They are UFO's to most people, but they are not aliens.
Ding ding. How quickly we forget the last 5000 years of human history. From the Pyramids to the SR-71. It wasn't aliens. It wasn't time travelers. It was just us. It was always just us.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
The problem with this line of thinking is that there's nothing in science that says you can't travel from coast to coast in few hours while in atmosphere. You obviously can't do it with wagons and horses, but the math had been developed 200 years earlier with Newton. Those in the 1800's naysaying this weren't using anything outside their own experiences - not the best predictor of progress when we're dealing with math and physics.

The problem with aliens or UFO's or whatever you want to call it is that you have to actually break the laws of physics to do some of these things. Or at the very least you have to negate them to an extreme degree. Now maybe that is possible, but intuition would say otherwise.

What's more likely: UFO's that break known physics or humans misunderstanding events that occur usually at night and usually at speeds far beyond our usual experience?

See above, but again... there's a large difference between improving technology within the realm of physics and technology that breaks the laws of physics. The IPod doesn't break any laws.

Ding ding. How quickly we forget the last 5000 years of human history. From the Pyramids to the SR-71. It wasn't aliens. It wasn't time travelers. It was just us. It was always just us.
and to think, SR-71's are retired and obsolete. Just think of the things we replaced them with. I have seen some not so top secret stuff that makes you question whether we are in the matrix. I can't even comprehend what is on the air bases that are 20 miles inside security levels.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Now, I'm lookin' to the sky to save me
Lookin' for a sign of life
Lookin' for somethin' to help me burn out bright
And I'm lookin' for a complication
Lookin' cause I'm tired of lyin'
Make my way back home when I learn to fly high

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I finally got around to watch this movie the other day. I actually really enjoyed it.
I’m thinking of rewatching it, as I didn’t fully understand everything and read more about it. I think that context may make it even more enjoyable.

Also, anyone who hasn’t seen it won’t appreciate the relevance that gif had to @UrbanCowboy1’s statement.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I’m thinking of rewatching it, as I didn’t fully understand everything and read more about it. I think that context may make it even more enjoyable.

Also, anyone who hasn’t seen it won’t appreciate the relevance that gif had to @UrbanCowboy1’s statement.
I like those kinds of movies, my wife hates them. If time isn't flowing in a constant linear rate, she's out. Lol.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
What is the name of that movie? (the "No No No")

I love sci fi and space type movies. Pretty sure I have seen it. Just don't remember that scene.

thanks

Oct 29, 2016
US
Solar dust blowing your spaceship apart ?

That's the same kind of thinking that folks said back in the late 1800's when someone predicted that they could travel from East Coast to West Coast in a few hours: "heck, even if you could move that fast your wagon wheels would disintegrate with all the bumps in the road and the bearing would melt with the heat generated. And you'd need fresh horses every 10 miles or they would die from exhaustion, and . . . ".
Well, not if you're in an airplane.

There's technology advances waiting to happen that are a paradigm shift from current convention thinking about what is possible and what's not.
You didn't quote my post about solar dust and spaceship. I'll elaborate.

Look at it this way. Light speed is more than 650 million miles per hour. It would take 4-years to travel to our nearest star travelling at light speed. It is impossible to travel light speed. See: Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Right now our fastest spaceship capable of harboring humans travels 34,000 mph. I'm sure we're all aware of the tragedy that befallen the Columbia shuttle.. the cause of the accident was a piece of foam that had fallen off the Shuttle’s external fuel tank during launch. That piece of foam, even at launch speeds, was enough to cause enough damage that it sadly killed the entire crew as it was descending through the atmosphere. The shuttle speed was 400 mph when the foam broke off and struck a wing of the doomed flight.

Let's say humans somehow figured out how to travel just 10% speed of light (SOL), which would be 65 million miles per hour. At 10% SOL, it would take 40-years to reach the nearest star. Let's compare 400 mph to 65 MILLION miles per hour. Obviously, no comparison needed. If 400 MPH and a few pound piece of foam is enough to cause catastrophic damage, imagine what space dust would do traveling 65 million MPH. Quick fun fact: because of the laws that the Special Theory of Relativity describe and accurately predict, at 10% SOL, time and space around the spaceship would shrink, causing time to slow down for the crew on the spaceship relative to people's time on earth. When the crew arrives home after an 8-year round trip flight to the nearest star, they would find 200-years have passed on earth, even tho they aged only 8-years.

If anyone is familiar with General Theory of Relativity and its equations, all one has to do is work out how much kinetic energy the spaceship would have travelling at such enormous speeds, and you'll easily see that hitting even a spec of space dust would release enough energy equivalent to many nuke bombs. The size of the object becomes irrelevant at such enormous -- and, quite frankly, impossible - speed.

The vastness of space guarantees not one intelligent species will ever leave their solar system. The smart species wouldn't try to leave their solar system, and the dumb ones can't because they don't know how to do it.

And we had no chance of detecting signals, but it was worth the shot. Such signals would quickly fade into the background radiation, thus after traveling a few light-years from its source of origin, inverse-square law kicks in, thereby immediately destroying information contained within radio signals. In other words, pure static noise. No images. No audio. Just static.

What a bummer.

Side note, to all: Of course, there's always the possibility a cosmic accident occured on earth approximately 4-ish billion years ago, that allowed the abiogenesis of life (beginning), when life was never supposed to exist, so to speak. We could be the only beautiful diamond harboring profoundly spectacular living entities, in an otherwise lifeless universe. As far as we can tell, this is it.

Life on earth just may be dancing on the grandest - and only - stage in the infinite universe. And look at what we're doing to the biosphere of life on earth. We've created the 6th mass extinction life has faced. The utter devastation we've caused will guarantee only insects and microbial life forms will live long enough to take Earth's final bow. The ending of the play is only a page turn away. Believe me when I say, that page is only a turn away.

Curtain closes.

Give yourselves a'round of applause, humans, for the story that should've been the greatest story ever told, of which we were apart of, for eons to come. Instead, we all chose to give a standing ovation, to the most tragic story ever written.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
You didn't quote my post about solar dust and spaceship. I'll elaborate.

Look at it this way. Light speed is more than 650 million miles per hour. It would take 4-years to travel to our nearest star travelling at light speed. It is impossible to travel light speed. See: Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Right now our fastest spaceship capable of harboring humans travels 34,000 mph. I'm sure we're all aware of the tragedy that befallen the Columbia shuttle.. the cause of the accident was a piece of foam that had fallen off the Shuttle’s external fuel tank during launch. That piece of foam, even at launch speeds, was enough to cause enough damage that it sadly killed the entire crew as it was descending through the atmosphere. The shuttle speed was 400 mph when the foam broke off and struck a wing of the doomed flight.

Let's say humans somehow figured out how to travel just 10% speed of light (SOL), which would be 65 million miles per hour. At 10% SOL, it would take 40-years to reach the nearest star. Let's compare 400 mph to 65 MILLION miles per hour. Obviously, no comparison needed. If 400 MPH and a few pound piece of foam is enough to cause catastrophic damage, imagine what space dust would do traveling 65 million MPH. Quick fun fact: because of the laws that the Special Theory of Relativity describe and accurately predict, at 10% SOL, time and space around the spaceship would shrink, causing time to slow down for the crew on the spaceship relative to people's time on earth. When the crew arrives home after an 8-year round trip flight to the nearest star, they would find 200-years have passed on earth, even tho they aged only 8-years.

If anyone is familiar with General Theory of Relativity and its equations, all one has to do is work out how much kinetic energy the spaceship would have travelling at such enormous speeds, and you'll easily see that hitting even a spec of space dust would release enough energy equivalent to many nuke bombs. The size of the object becomes irrelevant at such enormous -- and, quite frankly, impossible - speed.

The vastness of space guarantees not one intelligent species will ever leave their solar system. The smart species wouldn't try to leave their solar system, and the dumb ones can't because they don't know how to do it.

And we had no chance of detecting signals, but it was worth the shot. Such signals would quickly fade into the background radiation, thus after traveling a few light-years from its source of origin, inverse-square law kicks in, thereby immediately destroying information contained within radio signals. In other words, pure static noise. No images. No audio. Just static.

What a bummer.

Side note, to all: Of course, there's always the possibility a cosmic accident occured on earth approximately 4-ish billion years ago, that allowed the abiogenesis of life (beginning), when life was never supposed to exist, so to speak. We could be the only beautiful diamond harboring profoundly spectacular living entities, in an otherwise lifeless universe. As far as we can tell, this is it.

Life on earth just may be dancing on the grandest - and only - stage in the infinite universe. And look at what we're doing to the biosphere of life on earth. We've created the 6th mass extinction life has faced. The utter devastation we've caused will guarantee only insects and microbial life forms will live long enough to take Earth's final bow. The ending of the play is only a page turn away. Believe me when I say, that page is only a turn away.

Curtain closes.

Give yourselves a'round of applause, humans, for the story that should've been the greatest story ever told, of which we were apart of, for eons to come. Instead, we all chose to give a standing ovation, to the most tragic story ever written.