Petition Calls For Stillwater's 'Eskimo Joe's' To Change Its Name, Mascot

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
The Nebraska/Notre Dame mascots were done by people of the group they are representing. Not so much with Joe's or the Washington NFL team.
So your theory is that Notre Dame was named the Fighting Irish by several Irishmen? And those Irishmen selected a goofy leprechaun as their mascot? You sticking to that story?

Jan 16, 2019
Punta Gorda, Florida
I think it was Mike Stabbis that did the design. I know he did the first anniversary shirt, which was the best one, with the snow shoes crossed on the back. They made 200 of those, and I know of 1 still in existence. Stan probably has 1 also but I never asked him. The Eskimo was because it was supposed to be the coldest beer in town. I doubt there is much of a risk of lawsuits at this time but I was told the designer was "inspired by" the Buster Brown logo.

When it started it was just the first floor of the old part of Joe's, and Stan lived upstairs. Stan always credited the logo for his success, which is his humble way of deflecting the 1000's of good decisions he's made along the way, but the logo did have a huge part in it.
Dont know about 1975, but in 1980....The Grey Fox had the colest Budweiser beer, anywhere.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Dont know about 1975, but in 1980....The Grey Fox had the coldest Budweiser beer, anywhere.
The Fox was Bud and Joe's was Coors. They kind of had an understanding. Joe's was fun in the early 80's. The greeks were all at the Fox, and the trouble makers went to Joe's. Plus I learned about good music from Joe's.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
I'll make this very simple. Can you or can you not explain why you believe the Eskimo Joe's or Cleveland Indians logos are offensive, but you (apparently) find no offense in the Cornhuskers or Fighting Irish logos? I apologize if you *do* find offense in the latter examples, and the conversation has ignored that. I'm just trying to figure out your logic.
The Nebraska/Notre Dame mascots were done by people of the group they are representing. Not so much with Joe's or the Washington NFL team.
Okay well wait a minute okay the Redskins logo wasn't made by an Indian I don't think but the Indian is actually based off an actual guy who liked the fact that he was being honored with that I thought.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Pretty sure that's exactly what many people think is the best approach. Appropriations and all...
Oh I know some people think along those lines in some instances but I’m not sure if they think that way about art. So Eminem can’t rap and Charlie Pride or Darius Rucker can’t sing country music because of appropriation? You’re right though, if those people are being consistent they have to include all art I suppose.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Oh I know some people think along those lines in some instances but I’m not sure if they think that way about art. So Eminem can’t rap and Charlie Pride or Darius Rucker can’t sing country music because of appropriation? You’re right though, if those people are being consistent they have to include all art I suppose.
I was once accused of appropriating in a band, because I suggested we play funk and latin jazz.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
And here comes the end around to pressure Stan Clark to reconsider....

Eskimo Joe's sponsorship of OSU's Coaches vs. Cancer ended due to name, logo

“We have considered your feedback and will be immediately discontinuing our partnership with Eskimo Joe’s in Stillwater, Oklahoma,” American Cancer Society vice president Jeff Fehlis and NABC executive director Craig Robinson wrote in a July 24 email to John Burnett, an OSU alumnus who contacted both organizations.

“It’s important that our volunteers and community partners reflect the Society’s core organizational values — integrity, compassion, courage, determination, and diversity — in their work on behalf of our mission,” the email continued. “Your outreach to both of our organizations earlier this week shed a new light on our partnership with Eskimo Joe’s.”
So what this quote is saying is that Stan Clark represents none of these things despite all the charitable things he's done for decades. What an incredibly massive slap in the face to him. All because these p*ssies caved to the social media mob.

This organization has never had a problem with the name Eskimo Joes, but since it's full blown social media mob season right now, they probably got a handful of emails and phone call and started quaking in their boots and pulled the plug.

So I'm guessing this isn't the last we hear about this.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater

So what this quote is saying is that Stan Clark represents none of these things despite all the charitable things he's done for decades. What an incredibly massive slap in the face to him. All because these p*ssies caved to the social media mob.

This organization has never had a problem with the name Eskimo Joes, but since it's full blown social media mob season right now, they probably got a handful of emails and phone call and started quaking in their boots and pulled the plug.

I know Stan genuinely cares about this charity (and many others he contributes to) and should let them find another sponsor and donate whatever he see fit anonymously.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
I think a local organization could fill this void and support the same causes. If all of the time and effort from the Stillwater community gets poured into it and money stays local, it would be just as effective as working under the Coaches vs. Cancer organization.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com

Eskimo Joe's can still donate the money. They just won't be credited socially.

Is the money the issue?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Eskimo Joe's can still donate the money. They just won't be credited socially.

Is the money the issue?
The issue is that they totally throw Stan Clark under this bus with their statement of why they are cutting ties. They had a very beneficial relationship with his company for years and now they are taking the position that he doesn't represent "integrity, compassion, courage, determination, and diversity?"