Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Here's why I hate the portal...It degrades the value of football across the board on the College level. It pits haves against have nots, it makes coaching more difficult to not have same teams together for long enough to get the best out of them. The teams that will survive the portal will be the programs that figure out stability in some form or fashion...just like having a covid year over and over and over again. This is ALSO why I think we will thrive in this new world now. I think we have the stability to sustain in this time and that we will recruit a core of guys who are willing to stick around when the going gets rough. At least this is my hope. High retention of players from year to year is going to be a huge key.
On he other hand Gundy has proven to take under rated recruits and develope them to their maximum potential. Now the blue bloods can skim off the stars without the risk. In the long run it could really hurt a school like OSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
On he other hand Gundy has proven to take under rated recruits and develope them to their maximum potential. Now the blue bloods can skim off the stars without the risk. In the long run it could really hurt a school like OSU

Are we not a blue blood now??? kidding...kinda
We just beat OU, Texas and Notre Dame in the same freaking season. I'd say that makes you either a blue blood or a blue blood killer. We are Damned good, and I mean top 10 to 15 program consistently good, and that's not going to end over night as long as HCMG and Rob Glass are at the helm...People get antsy or stupid and let him go...then we have issues. Next guy might have a tough job for a while...hope not.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Are we not a blue blood now??? kidding...kinda
We just beat OU, Texas and Notre Dame in the same freaking season. I'd say that makes you either a blue blood or a blue blood killer. We are Damned good, and I mean top 10 to 15 program consistently good, and that's not going to end over night as long as HCMG and Rob Glass are at the helm...People get antsy or stupid and let him go...then we have issues. Next guy might have a tough job for a while...hope not.
Blue blood? No, far from meeting the qualifications. Blue blood killer? Pretty damn close.

Sep 16, 2005
Piedmont, Oklahoma
No, it's sarcasm, I knew we'd end up losing that guy.
I think if Sanders was guaranteed to be gone after this coming season he would stay (my guess only) but I think Sanders has 2 more years. It's a pretty big ask to have someone wait 4 years for a chance to start.
2 more years?? Thought Sanders only had this year left?

Nvm I see the answers but good god, not sure I can handle 2 more seasons of the Sanders roller coaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2010
Don’t like one bit how our football program is dealing with the realities of the portal. After the Fiesta Bowl I was so optimistic for next season. Now it’s looking like another non-contender season which for Gundy which has been the norm lately. Hope I’m wrong and our HC is doing more than bass fishing or rattle snake hunting while our DC position goes unfilled and we continue to lose quality players with zero portal announcements. Love what Gundy has done for oSu football but how can all this be a good sign?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
You’re gonna bash me for saying Brown was forgettable when you earlier said we’re screwed if we have to use Gundy?

Who shoved a burr up your butt today?

i didn’t bash…just pointed out the subtle jab…don’t get into your feelings because I was pointing out the obvious. And yes i said screwed because he’s only played in one game…if you take comfort in that by all means that’s your choice.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
You’re gonna bash me for saying Brown was forgettable when you earlier said we’re screwed if we have to use Gundy?

Who shoved a burr up your butt today?

i didn’t bash…just pointed out the subtle jab…don’t get into your feelings because I was pointing out the obvious. And yes i said screwed because he’s only played in one game…if you take comfort in that by all means that’s your choice.
Which is when I said we are no more screwed next season than we were at the beginning of this season (or several seasons in the recent past) in that SI had less practice time at the beginning of this season than Gundy will have at the beginning of next season.

Now do you see where you were confused? Jeeez

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Don’t like one bit how our football program is dealing with the realities of the portal. After the Fiesta Bowl I was so optimistic for next season. Now it’s looking like another non-contender season which for Gundy which has been the norm lately. Hope I’m wrong and our HC is doing more than bass fishing or rattle snake hunting while our DC position goes unfilled and we continue to lose quality players with zero portal announcements. Love what Gundy has done for oSu football but how can all this be a good sign?
Yes. The sky is falling.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Which is when I said we are no more screwed next season than we were at the beginning of this season (or several seasons in the recent past) in that SI had less practice time at the beginning of this season than Gundy will have at the beginning of next season.

Now do you see where you were confused? Jeeez

SI is 3-0 as a starter...Gunnar is 0-0 and hasn't even thrown a pass. Shane as a backup is much better than anyone else on campus right now and its not even close. Practice reps doesn't equate to game reps lmao... But keep on reaching....the way you're trying to rationalize this is comedy...my god!!

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Here's why I hate the portal...It degrades the value of football across the board on the College level. It pits haves against have nots, it makes coaching more difficult to not have same teams together for long enough to get the best out of them. The teams that will survive the portal will be the programs that figure out stability in some form or fashion...just like having a covid year over and over and over again. This is ALSO why I think we will thrive in this new world now. I think we have the stability to sustain in this time and that we will recruit a core of guys who are willing to stick around when the going gets rough. At least this is my hope. High retention of players from year to year is going to be a huge key.
I don’t hate the portal. I hate that they waived the 1 year sit-out rule.

The portal is a fantastic tool that allows the players to have control of their future.

A coach leaves, a system changes, they get buried in the depth chart, they miss home, or they feel the place they chose as a 16-18 year old isn’t for them anymore. They should have the right to choose.

But… choices have consequences. You should be able to leave, but that doesn’t mean you get to play right away. It should not cost you any eligibility or hit your new teams scholarship count. This will help protect the programs and preserve integrity, while giving those that really want to change, and are willing to make the sacrifice, an avenue to do so.

It’s fair for all parties.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Sure seems late for Shane Illingworth to enter the portal. Where will he end up? Seems odd as his parents moved here or they live here during football season. I thought he was better than Sanders all along. I can see him going to a power house program and starting day one. Is he going to a team like Georgia with Monken as OC?
It's crazy that guys are still entering the portal at this point. Most schools are a couple of weeks into classes and are past the enrollment deadline, but I guess athletes get special treatment there.
Or they could finish the semester here and join in summer?? Right? Right??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

The portal is a fantastic tool that allows the players to have control of their future.

A coach leaves, a system changes, they get buried in the depth chart, they miss home, or they feel the place they chose as a 16-18 year old isn’t for them anymore. They should have the right to choose.

But… choices have consequences. You should be able to leave, but that doesn’t mean you get to play right away. It should not cost you any eligibility or hit your new teams scholarship count. This will help protect the programs and preserve integrity, while giving those that really want to change, and are willing to make the sacrifice, an avenue to do so.

Ok I can agree with that as well

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Timing seems strange. Wonder why it took so long for him to make the decision. Nothing has changed since the end of the season, at least that we know of. Sanders will be the starter again next season as long as he stays healthy.
Perhaps, probably, most likely (?) he’s just now been recruited by another school that needs a QB.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I’m of the opinion that the transfer outs from blue bloods are more likely to benefit us than our guys transferring *up*. Everything is a bit of an outlier with Covid, JBC and TMac otherwise wouldn’t have eligibility, so it kind of inflames the perceived problem, but sometimes ppl just want to move on.

But A&M and UT are each taking like 27 man classes this year, each with logjams at certain positions. Quality Players are bound to transfer out

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
FFS. How many more go into the portal before we announce a DC?

Also looks like we seriously need change at OL. It's not a hypothesis anymore. OL is doomed.
That guy above is NOT from OSU. He was previously a commit, that went to South Carolina it appears. And now he's transferring out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk