QB Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
@Hayduke

I expressed an opinion. @Birry immediately called me an idiot and told me that I never played team sports.

How am I in the wrong here? I didn't go rally people around to do this. I don't even really post here all that often anymore.

I've also been a contributor to PFB... so if you dislike me so much, I mean... sorry?

Mar 31, 2011
@Hayduke

I expressed an opinion. @Birry immediately called me an idiot and told me that I never played team sports.

How am I in the wrong here? I didn't go rally people around to do this. I don't even really post here all that often anymore.

I've also been a contributor to PFB... so if you dislike me so much, I mean... sorry?
@Birry, this is an example of step three. See, they just can't help themselves. :oops:

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
I just find it funny that, after nearly 14 years of Gundy ball, there is really only 1 year in the last, oh, 12 or so seasons where we didn't get above avg QB play (2014 through 8 games). And that was most likely due to the fact we had 0 OL depth.

Gundy has a great track record of fitting the offense around the style of QB play we get. I have little concern that Corndog, Sanders, or Brown will struggle putting up good numbers, regardless of chemistry. We lose two/three NFL WRs, but there is a fantastic young crop of WR's that have been waiting in the wings. Gundy builds team chemistry with the guys he brings in to fit his program, this "Cowboy culture" he calls it. I'm not at all concerned with offensive production.

History has an ironic way of repeating itself, just look at Jimmy's posts.

Oct 30, 2007
I learned a long time ago that at some point you have to simply agree to disagree in an argument and move on. If the argument devolves down to name calling and personal attacks, you're probably well past that point.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. It's just food for thought.

Mar 31, 2011
Wow... sorry that I've somehow ruined your experience on the internet.
You haven't. You've just ruined this one website, don't take too much credit. But seriously, i've probably been on this website for 11-12 years (really my first and still only experience with a message board) and quickly learned that the phenomenon I described happens here all the time. I still come on fairly often, but I mostly find bickering and bullying rather than the insight and discussion I hoped to find.

Mar 31, 2011
I just find it funny that, after nearly 14 years of Gundy ball, there is really only 1 year in the last, oh, 12 or so seasons where we didn't get above avg QB play (2014 through 8 games). And that was most likely due to the fact we had 0 OL depth.

Gundy has a great track record of fitting the offense around the style of QB play we get. I have little concern that Corndog, Sanders, or Brown will struggle putting up good numbers, regardless of chemistry. We lose two/three NFL WRs, but there is a fantastic young crop of WR's that have been waiting in the wings. Gundy builds team chemistry with the guys he brings in to fit his program, this "Cowboy culture" he calls it. I'm not at all concerned with offensive production.

History has an ironic way of repeating itself, just look at Jimmy's posts.
I agree, but there have also been a few instances where perhaps the wrong guy got the nod. Most notably, Cate over Weeden, Garman over Rudolph, Reid over Robinson. Gundy always has his reasoning, like youth, didn't practice hard, etc., and it happens all over the country, but people are always clamoring for the backup to play when they're in the situation that OSU is in. Shoot, OSU has routinely made opponents' backups looks like legends.

I wouldn't say i'm "not at all concerned" with offensive production, but I would agree that Gundy and Yurcich will have the Cowboys in position to win games one way or another.

Mar 31, 2011
I learned a long time ago that at some point you have to simply agree to disagree in an argument and move on. If the argument devolves down to name calling and personal attacks, you're probably well past that point.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. It's just food for thought.
That's the essence of my post. You can go back and forth all day, and the other party is usually thrilled to do so, but you're better off just ignoring them from the beginning. If the cues are there that suggest it won't be a good discussion, then don't continue it. At the end of the day, we're all a bunch of grown men arguing over something we all love, on the internet.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
I agree, but there have also been a few instances where perhaps the wrong guy got the nod. Most notably, Cate over Weeden, Garman over Rudolph, Reid over Robinson. Gundy always has his reasoning, like youth, didn't practice hard, etc., and it happens all over the country, but people are always clamoring for the backup to play when they're in the situation that OSU is in. Shoot, OSU has routinely made opponents' backups looks like legends.

I wouldn't say i'm "not at all concerned" with offensive production, but I would agree that Gundy and Yurcich will have the Cowboys in position to win games one way or another.
We have a guy who has been in the program for 4 years, knows the system, is pretty athletic and has a good arm. Better arm than Chelf and probably just as fast.

We have a grad transfer with 2 years of D1 experience, who is mobile, elusive and is a decent passer.

We have an incoming true freshman who was the Texas Gatorade player of the year and has been shining at 7on7's and caught the attention of Gundy and Co. who will absolutely be factored in during competition for the starting job.

Since this is the QB situation I won't even mention the depth at RB and WR, as well as the OL which will likely be as good or better than anything we've had since 2013.

We don't rebuild anymore, we reload and I'll be happy with whoever we roll out in game 1 as starting QB. There really isn't a bad choice that we know of.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Guy, you're the one insinuating that a back up QB, who practices with back up WRs, will throw to those guys because of familiarity/chemistry. Stop doubling down on this silly position. And stop with the personal attacks and conspiracy theories. It just proves how desperate you are to hope nobody notices how ludicrous your opinion is.
*Vocal Minority Cast Member #4 Enters the Room*

I'm pretty sure there are about 5 people in this thread that agree with you on this topic, and they just happen to be the same folks that agree with each other on every subject in every thread on OP. There is no logic to it. Y'all are just a little groupthink mob that tries to overwhelm dissenting opinions with your fake news approach.

It happens all the time that a backup QB will hit the guys he's familiar throwing to in practice. I honestly can't believe you're even debating this right now. It just proves how insane your little mob actually is.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So Gundy pretty much said that Cornelius is our guy. Sounds like the one of the other two would have to blow our staff away in order to displace him...Hope he's that good, but it sounds pretty promising (reading between the lines from media day).