QB Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Anyone wanna change some of their predictions from earlier in this thread? Especially the ones about how we'll tailor our offense more towards a running QB, how we won't revert to the 2014 play calling, and how we won't wait to lose a game before we try a different QB? Anyone?
Well we did "Taylor" the offense in the Boise game ;)...but something happened between that game and the Tech game that made someone decide that Cornelius could run the "chuck and duck" offense and be forced to "slide" when he ran (which was nearly never)...It should have been obvious to anyone that when we worked in the QB run in the Boise game it made a HUGE difference in our production...someone, not naming names, seems to be very stubborn, to a fault when it comes to QB play. If you want to have Cornelius as the starter the offense had to change, if you want to keep the offense as it was last year, well, you have to start someone else. We can't be successful on offense if we don't adapt to the skill set of whomever is the starting QB. In fact it's a disservice to TC and the team if we don't. In other words the staff (I assume HCMG) does his QB no favors by trying to make him do something he isn't the best at and not allowing him to do predominately things that are his strength. Let him play his best game (one that fits his skills) or bench him if you won't let him play. The Tech game was a disservice to the entire team and I think it had to do with a stubborn mindset in play calling more than anything else. Offensive and Special Teams coaching lost us that game, not our QB.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
Well we did "Taylor" the offense in the Boise game ;)...but something happened between that game and the Tech game that made someone decide that Cornelius could run the "chuck and duck" offense and be forced to "slide" when he ran (which was nearly never)...It should have been obvious to anyone that when we worked in the QB run in the Boise game it made a HUGE difference in our production...someone, not naming names, seems to be very stubborn, to a fault when it comes to QB play. If you want to have Cornelius as the starter the offense had to change, if you want to keep the offense as it was last year, well, you have to start someone else. We can't be successful on offense if we don't adapt to the skill set of whomever is the starting QB. In fact it's a disservice to TC and the team if we don't. In other words the staff (I assume HCMG) does his QB no favors by trying to make him do something he isn't the best at and not allowing him to do predominately things that are his strength. Let him play his best game (one that fits his skills) or bench him if you won't let him play. The Tech game was a disservice to the entire team and I think it had to do with a stubborn mindset in play calling more than anything else. Offensive and Special Teams coaching lost us that game, not our QB.
I don't even know what to think after that game. Lost all faith in our coaching staff.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
The Texas tech game fiasco was an embarrassment and absolute disaster in every sense of the word.
The best we can hope for is the coaches to become more open minded and Texas Tech plows through their schedule and ends up in the B12 championship or close to it.
But in reality I think the coaches will make a small tweak or 2 (working on the O line a bit) and Texas Tech probably isn't that good. Surely it is obvious that they need to fix the playcalling but I'm not putting much hope into that.

Jan 9, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Well I, for one, am just tired of a circus show and just want a football coach who looks at his QBs and sees what any other person with a brain would do when you have the choice between TC, Brown and sanders..... you let TC coach up Dru, while sanders gets the twos reps and redshirts.

they run his style of offense and cornhole cant.

its getting frustrating

Oct 29, 2016
US
Come on, guys. Don't blame the play-calling. As Gundy has stated many times, OCMY is "the best kept secret in collegiate football!"

Even the TV commentators have been saying "wtf is up with the play-calling?," well, that's what they were basically saying.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Come on, guys. Don't blame the play-calling. As Gundy has stated many times, OCMY is "the best kept secret in collegiate football!"

Even the TV commentators have been saying "wtf is up with the play-calling?," well, that's what they were basically saying.
We are trying to fit a square block through the circle hole. Gundy has chosen Corndog to be the next chunk it deep air raid master.