Question regarding the public reactions to racism

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Seems to me the real problem is one of perception.

Those that believe there is systemic racism “perceive” (real or imagined) blacks are abused or suffer discrimination in various degrees.

The true racists that actually abuse or discriminate against blacks do so because they “perceive” blacks are inferior, or deserve extra scrutiny in certain arenas or circumstances.

Question. How does removing statues, renaming buildings, kneeling during the national anthem, creating black organizations/awards/associations, peaceful protests, violent protests, defunding the police, eliminating the police, etc.. going to meaningfully change any perceptions on either side?

Some or all of the above might make people that believe in the existence of systemic racism “feel better”, but none of the above actually prevents or serves to mitigate the racism they perceive exists.

Likewise, IMO, none of the above is realistically gonna change the perceptions of the racist, and therefor their actions. Whatever reasons the racist has for his perceptions, its unlikely to be changed. Heck, the true racists perceptions might even be enforced.

So what’s the net result? Further division?

How do we change the perceptions (real or imagined) of those that believe in the existence of systemic racism?

How do we change the perceptions of the true racists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
People believe a lot of incorrect things now. But nothing as sinister as the lie about police killing and targeting black Americans. It has created real fear in young black Americans who are told to be fearful of the police by the media and by race-baiting fear-mongerers. This sinister lie is literally costing our country billions of dollars (MN is asking for $500M just for their most recent riots) and the lives of law enforcement.

Right now people are fearful to speak truth to power. Witness Drew Brees apologizing for saying he never kneel for the national anthem. Or Don Lemon commenting that a person on Fox News was racist for supplying actual facts about police shootings of unarmed black Americans.

I think in the near future people will see what a horrible time this was and the error in their ways. And how people manipulated others with false information. At least that is my hope.
But it won’t happen until people start thinking for themselves and using facts to guide their beliefs.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
People believe a lot of incorrect things now. But nothing as sinister as the lie about police killing and targeting black Americans. It has created real fear in young black Americans who are told to be fearful of the police by the media and by race-baiting fear-mongerers. This sinister lie is literally costing our country billions of dollars (MN is asking for $500M just for their most recent riots) and the lives of law enforcement.

Right now people are fearful to speak truth to power. Witness Drew Brees apologizing for saying he never kneel for the national anthem. Or Don Lemon commenting that a person on Fox News was racist for supplying actual facts about police shootings of unarmed black Americans.

I think in the near future people will see what a horrible time this was and the error in their ways. And how people manipulated others with false information. At least that is my hope.
But it won’t happen until people start thinking for themselves and using facts to guide their beliefs.
I don’t think anyone fears the police. To me that’s another myth. People challenge the police today more than ever before. This movement isn’t about a fear of police it’s about a hatred of police.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011

I don’t think anyone fears the police. To me that’s another myth. People challenge the police today more than ever before. This movement isn’t about a fear of police it’s about a hatred of police.
I think it's more teaching hate than fear.
I have a friend that has a black foster boy. His mom (and dad when he was around) taught him to hate police and white people. He felt admits it. He once tried to get a white girl beat up or killed because he lied to his mom and dad that she used the n word to him. He ultimately admitted he didn't say it, but his dad justified his actions by saying she was probably thinking it. He said that right in front of the cops while they were taking statements.

He also told his foster mom, after she confronted him on something, that he couldn't read well because anytime they tried to make him work in school in something he didn't want to, he would threaten to tell his mom that they were mistreating him because he was black. And they let him get away with it for fear of being called racists.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
You're so all out WRONG. Most people fear the police ever since being kids. I certainly fear the police. I even feared firemen as a child. Back when I was playing with fire in the sandbox and heard a siren, I would put out that fire as fast as I could. My friend, whose father was a fireman even more didn't want to get caught.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
You're so all out WRONG. Most people fear the police ever since being kids. I certainly fear the police. I even feared firemen as a child. Back when I was playing with fire in the sandbox and heard a siren, I would put out that fire as fast as I could. My friend, whose father was a fireman even more didn't want to get caught.
Haha, WTH?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
K, that’s just freakin weird.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Actually, I do think some people fear the police. Some of those with law-breaking intent and those whose misguided parents/teachers/influencers taught them to fear the police. And some of that fear turns into hate.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Actually, I do think some people fear the police. Those with law-breaking intent and those whose misguided parents/teachers/influencers taught them to fear the police.

How many lower socio-economic class black people have you spent any significant amount of time with as an adult in a non-business/employment situation so that they would be comfortable telling you their feelings and experiences with the police?

Last edited:

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

Those that believe there is systemic racism “perceive” (real or imagined) blacks are abused or suffer discrimination in various degrees.

The true racists that actually abuse or discriminate against blacks do so because they “perceive” blacks are inferior, or deserve extra scrutiny in certain arenas or circumstances.

Question........
This lead-in shows a lack of understanding of what systemic racism is and who/what causes it. Until you make an attempt to better grasp what the subject is, any actual answers to your question (instead of the validation of the friendly crowd here that it appears you are actually seeking) will fall on deaf ears.

If not simply seeking validation of your firmly held beliefs based on your experiences as a wealthy white guy, post this exact commentary-posed-as-a-question on a board that is actually visited by the people that you are asking about. Then try listening to what they say instead of picking out flaws in their words based on your worldview.

If validation of your views on this are what you really seek, you are asking in the right place!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Actually, I do think some people fear the police. Those with law-breaking intent and those whose misguided parents/teachers/influencers taught them to fear the police.

How many lower socio-economic class black people have you spend any significant amount of time with as an adult in a non-business/employment situation so that they would be comfortable telling you their feelings and experiences with the police?
Beats me. You’d have to ask those I’ve been around whether they would be comfortable discussing the matter. Also don’t know what business/employment have to do with anything.

How about you?

Clearly there’s a point you’re trying to make. And I’m quite sure you’re certain the second-hand tales of which you’re gonna relay to us are 100% accurate, without bias and truly from the heart.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Question........
This lead-in shows a lack of understanding of what systemic racism is and who/what causes it. Until you make an attempt to better grasp what the subject is, any actual answers to your question (instead of the validation of the friendly crowd here that it appears you are actually seeking) will fall on deaf ears.

If not simply seeking validation of your firmly held beliefs based on your experiences as a wealthy white guy, post this exact commentary-posed-as-a-question on a board that is actually visited by the people that you are asking about. Then try listening to what they say instead of picking out flaws in their words based on your worldview.

If validation of your views on this are what you really seek, you are asking in the right place!
Well then, here’s your chance to tell the board what’s wrong with the question.

I just asked the question. You imply you have either the more correct question, or better yet, the answer. Let’s hear it.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Beats me. You’d have to ask those I’ve been around whether they would be comfortable discussing the matter. Also don’t know what business/employment have to do with anything.

How about you?

Clearly there’s a point you’re trying to make. And I’m quite sure you’re certain the second-hand tales of which you’re gonna relay to us are 100% accurate, without bias and truly from the heart.

You think people talk to their boss the same way they talk to a friend?

I'm not relaying any stories. You are never going to agree with a word I say anyway which you have already proven on this board with every post of mine that you respond to. I'm merely pointing out how you can find actual answers to your questions on the off chance that is your desire.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

I just asked the question. You imply you have either the more correct question, or better yet, the answer. Let’s hear it.

And I am not the person to give you the answer, either. I told you how to get it. But, you have to leave your safe space (Virtually, although, even better if you did it in reality. Soup kitchens love retiree volunteers.).

If a bunch of environmental activists did not understand why people in the pipeline business do "X" and "Y" and were all discussing it and asking questions of each other and stating their firmly held opinions about it, do you think they would ever actually get the answer, even if some were a little more benevolent to the pipeline business than others?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

How about you?

You think people talk to their boss the same way they talk to a friend?

I'm not relaying any stories. You are never going to agree with a word I say anyway which you have already proven on this board with every post of mine that you respond to. I'm merely pointing out how you can find actual answers to your questions on the off chance that is your desire.
So, you don’t want to discuss, but just want to take shots.

Not surprised.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

And I am not the person to give you the answer, either. I told you how to get it. But, you have to leave your safe space (Virtually, although, even better if you did it in reality. Soup kitchens love retiree volunteers.).

If a bunch of environmental activists did not understand why people in the pipeline business do "X" and "Y" and were all discussing it and asking questions of each other and stating their firmly held opinions about it, do you think they would ever actually get the answer, even if some were a little more benevolent to the pipeline business than others?
Lol. Claim to have the secret answer, but refuse to discuss it. Lol.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

EA1-"Those pipelines are just designed to leak and destroy wetlands."
EA2-"Why would they design them to leak? Jerks."
EA1- "Well, they think the controversy helps them. They are so foolish."
EA2- "I don't think they are designed to leak. I just think they are poorly constructed to save costs."
EA3- "Hey, guys. I've talked to some pipeline guys and I don't think what you are saying is accurate. Instead of guessing, why don't you ask them about why pipelines leak sometimes and what they do to try to prevent it?"

EA1- " LOL EA3, you claim to have the secret answer, but refuse to discuss it. Lol."
EA3- "Umm, no. Hearing another opinion did not give me all the answers for someone else. I'm just saying that maybe the people actually going through it would be able to tell you more than discussing with people on the outside with opinions about them, that's all."

EA1- "EA3, always taking shots."
EA3- ":confused:"

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

EA1-"Those pipelines are just designed to leak and destroy wetlands."
EA2-"Why would they design them to leak? Jerks."
EA1- "Well, they think the controversy helps them. They are so foolish."
EA2- "I don't think they are designed to leak. I just think they are poorly constructed to save costs."
EA3- "Hey, guys. I've talked to some pipeline guys and I don't think what you are saying is accurate. Instead of guessing, why don't you ask them about why pipelines leak sometimes and what they do to try to prevent it?"

EA1- " LOL EA3, you claim to have the secret answer, but refuse to discuss it. Lol."
EA3- "Umm, no. Hearing another opinion did not give me all the answers for someone else. I'm just saying that maybe the people actually going through it would be able to tell you more than discussing with people on the outside with opinions about them, that's all."

EA1- "EA3, always taking shots."
EA3- ":confused:"
In other words, you’re only opinion is other people’s thoughts and opinions are wrong.

FYI - You’re coming off as a complete putz.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

Question. How does removing statues, renaming buildings, kneeling during the national anthem, creating black organizations/awards/associations, peaceful protests, violent protests, defunding the police, eliminating the police, etc.. going to meaningfully change any perceptions on either side?

Some or all of the above might make people that believe in the existence of systemic racism “feel better”, but none of the above actually prevents or serves to mitigate the racism they perceive exists.

Likewise, IMO, none of the above is realistically gonna change the perceptions of the racist, and therefor their actions. Whatever reasons the racist has for his perceptions, its unlikely to be changed. Heck, the true racists perceptions might even be enforced.

So what’s the net result? Further division?

How do we change the perceptions (real or imagined) of those that believe in the existence of systemic racism?

How do we change the perceptions of the true racists?

Where do you see systemic racism in our society?