1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Real Underwood coaching evaluation

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by StoolBoy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

What do you think a "proven coach" will cost. If it's in the neighborhood of $3 mil I think we were better off not making a change.

• Like Like x 3
  2. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

This is a reasonable reaction, by all accounts. If Underwood had sustained performance, maybe he deserves $2.9M, but he wasn't willing to wait. It makes me wonder why.

My suspicion is that Underwood was not confident that he'd repeat his performance in 2017-18 because of the player turnover. That would reduce his leverage.

Plus, Gundy will need a renegotiation coming up, which leaves less money in the pot for Underwood later on. That's probably what would have bothered Underwood about his perception of our commitment and prioritization of basketball.

3. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

If I'm Holder, I'd rather pay $3M to a coach who isn't threatening to leave before the end of his first season.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Gman

Gman Sheriff

Pretty interesting listening on AM 1020. Casey Kendrick is basically outing Underwood as a fraud.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Jb_Poke

Jb_Poke Deputy

Yes, and he's giving specific examples and stories. Sounds like Underwood put on a show but was a total clown behind the scenes.

• Like Like x 5
  6. bbriscoe

bbriscoe Deputy

is it online streaming?

7. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Therein lies the rub. Sometimes you don't know who will do such a thing until after it is too late.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love any details you can share.

• Like Like x 4
  9. petropoke

petropoke Sheriff

For those that can't listen, could you post a summary please?

• Like Like x 2
  10. StoolBoy

StoolBoy Cowboy

Underwood obviously didn't view this job as his dream job or even close. That's obvious.

Leaving so quickly, March 20th SFA lost to Notre Dame and then our coach March 21st. Losing to Michigan next day Illinois head coach can't be a coincidence to me. Reveals a guy who obviously wants the next best thing and doesn't truly care about his players like he says.

• Like Like x 5
  11. petropoke

petropoke Sheriff

No one seemed to have been bothered by his departure at SFA until now. Odd.

What I also find odd is he accepted the $1M offer without listening to others last year. That tells me he wanted the job bad. That, or the guy is incredibly impulsive - which could explain the situation we're in.

#31 petropoke, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Going from SFA to OSU seemed understandable. Whatever the pay it's clear he was moving up in the world.

Going from OSU to Illinois is a lateral move, at best.

• Like Like x 3
  13. teibbor

teibbor Moderator
    Staff A/V Subscriber

Kendrick summary: Underwood likes to cuss a lot. He did it in front of three 11 year old boys and made no apologies and actually told people how his cussed Solomon out during a practice.
    He told Forte that he had not played in a meaningful game in his life and had not won anything. Forte later talked to Tyler Underwood about it and Tyler told him the same thing. (sounds like TU is just a mole for his dad).
    Told a little about how he blew the recruiting of Trae Young but not much details.

Edit: I will say it seemed like a little bit like sour grapes to me. He never said a thing like this when Underwood was here. He is also going to defend Holder just like RA since they sorta of work for him and want to stay on his good side.

#33 teibbor, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Coolfogg

Coolfogg Deputy

• Like Like x 1
  15. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan

Anyone listening and able to give details?

16. Coolfogg

Coolfogg Deputy

soy down half cent

tom d is on

• LOL LOL x 1
  17. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

He truly wanted the tradition of OSU and then his ego wanted to be fed with more money. I think he is a good coach. Illinois does not give that kind of money without knowing how to evaluate a coach.

18. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

He truly wanted the tradition of OSU and then his ego wanted to be fed with more money. I think he is a good coach. Illinois does not give that kind of money without knowing how to evaluate a coach.

19. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

I was bothered by it. After the hire, I went to the SFA forums, and there were fans talking about Underwood was negotiating his contract with OSU while SFA was still in the tournament.

It sounds like Brad Underwood likes money...his reputation is less important.

20. Jb_Poke

Jb_Poke Deputy

He basically just talked about his 15-20 interactions he had with the guy and said he kept thinking there would be a good one where he'd find one redeeming quality about the guy, but never found it. He talked about having him in to do shows, guy never looked up from his phone, when asked question after the interview BU just blew off and said "are we done here?". He told a story about an event that his 10 year old kid and others had attended with Underwood, where his kid came home and talked about how much BU dropped the F bomb. Kasey was then in a room with BU and joked with him that his kid had said that. BU proceeds to go on a rant dropping GDs and F bombs left and right talking about how he had kicked Mitch out of practice the day before cursing him off the floor clearly boasting about his vulgarity.

Also talked about how when Underwood came in he told Forte his career had been nothing and that he'd never played in a meaningful game here, and even had his son telling Phil the same thing. He said BU's ego and some lies he got caught up in also cost OSU in the Trae Young recruitment. He talked about some of the interactions that local business owners had as well. Basically the guy had a huge ego, wasn't the "Stillwater guy" he was being portrayed as. Got the feeling that "poor Brad" meeting with Holder wasn't quite what it was being portrayed in the DOK. Sounds like he is quite the hot head behind closed doors.

• Like Like x 5