REALLY DULL OFF-SEASON BANTER BEGINS NOW!! I'll GO FIRST.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
So, for mere speculation and fun, what is everyone's opinion as to how OSU Cowboy football would do in the SEC competitive environment?

We all are very aware of how well the programs that left the Big 12 are doing in other conferences like the PAC 12. Big 10 and SEC -- and that's not very well for the most part.
But of all of these teams, none of them were tearing up the Big 12 when they left.

What ticks me off is that we were starting to beat Nebraska on a regular basis. After 45 years (and no wins while I was at OSU), we started to beat the Huskers. Man, that was fun. So what do they do? They take their ball and go home. They still haven't brought that program back to their glory days of the Big 8 when the winner of the ou-Nebraska game usually went to play for the National Championship.
It's still kinda fun to watch the Cornhuskers lose. I do like their fans, but I wish we were playing them again. We could use the wins.

CU, Mizzou, aTm -- all mediocre programs with brief, very brief winning programs.

So, we've had some great wins and some ugly losses to SEC teams. I think our program would finish in the top 3-4 most years. Of course, our recruiting would improve simply by being an SEC team, but beating Bama is everyone's problem. Although, it's a fact that the last time we played Bama we won.
We've also shown we can beat UGA while at the same time get pounded by Ole Miss.
I think we could still beat aTm most of the time.Same with Mizzou, South Carolina and Vandy.
LSU, Arkansas, MissSt, Florida would be tough to beat all of the time.

Where do you guys think we'd do in the SEC on a regular basis?

Dec 21, 2008
We finish middle of the pack in the big 12 meaning 4-6th on avg. add 6 more teams to a 16 team conf and wed finish 8-12th which isn’t very good. Elite talent plays in the SEC. just depends if they show up and want to play that day. Teams like Ole Miss Arkansas South Carolina Vandy etc can beat anyone on a given day and lose to anyone. When they are hyped up though they play tough. I don’t think there is anough SEC level talent around here to compete. We already lose elite recruits to ou TX and A&M plus arky and teams like Michigan and Ohio St plucking Hill & Proctor away from the state that’s not good. Osu is in a comfortable spot where you have a chance to finish top 2 in conference and make noise late in the season. Imagine playing Bama LSU MSt and Ark 4 of first 6 games? No thanks!!

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I would prefer a regional conference, but the SEC would be my top choice by far if we are not in the Big 12. On average think we would be a mid-level SEC team, although it is hard to project how that might change down the road when Gundy retires. Despite the likely reduction in wins it would be a blast because of the venues and fans we would get to interact with each week.

Nov 6, 2010
So, for mere speculation and fun, what is everyone's opinion as to how OSU Cowboy football would do in the SEC competitive environment?

We all are very aware of how well the programs that left the Big 12 are doing in other conferences like the PAC 12. Big 10 and SEC -- and that's not very well for the most part.
But of all of these teams, none of them were tearing up the Big 12 when they left.

What ticks me off is that we were starting to beat Nebraska on a regular basis. After 45 years (and no wins while I was at OSU), we started to beat the Huskers. Man, that was fun. So what do they do? They take their ball and go home. They still haven't brought that program back to their glory days of the Big 8 when the winner of the ou-Nebraska game usually went to play for the National Championship.
It's still kinda fun to watch the Cornhuskers lose. I do like their fans, but I wish we were playing them again. We could use the wins.

CU, Mizzou, aTm -- all mediocre programs with brief, very brief winning programs.

So, we've had some great wins and some ugly losses to SEC teams. I think our program would finish in the top 3-4 most years. Of course, our recruiting would improve simply by being an SEC team, but beating Bama is everyone's problem. Although, it's a fact that the last time we played Bama we won.
We've also shown we can beat UGA while at the same time get pounded by Ole Miss.
I think we could still beat aTm most of the time.Same with Mizzou, South Carolina and Vandy.
LSU, Arkansas, MissSt, Florida would be tough to beat all of the time.

Where do you guys think we'd do in the SEC on a regular basis?
THe only reason we got whipped by Ole Miss that year was because we had no business in the Sugar Bowl, that should have been Baylor that year. Any other SEC team we've faced in a bowl the games have always been very close and competitive. The differences in the conferences is way overblown. THey have Bama, which is certainly on another level through their recruiting, then the rest stack up pretty much evenly with the Bix XII.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
THe only reason we got whipped by Ole Miss that year was because we had no business in the Sugar Bowl, that should have been Baylor that year. Any other SEC team we've faced in a bowl the games have always been very close and competitive. The differences in the conferences is way overblown. THey have Bama, which is certainly on another level through their recruiting, then the rest stack up pretty much evenly with the Bix XII.
With their player's payroll, Ole Miss had no business in NCAA, they should have been in the NFL.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
We finish middle of the pack in the big 12 meaning 4-6th on avg. add 6 more teams to a 16 team conf and wed finish 8-12th which isn’t very good. Elite talent plays in the SEC. just depends if they show up and want to play that day. Teams like Ole Miss Arkansas South Carolina Vandy etc can beat anyone on a given day and lose to anyone. When they are hyped up though they play tough. I don’t think there is anough SEC level talent around here to compete. We already lose elite recruits to ou TX and A&M plus arky and teams like Michigan and Ohio St plucking Hill & Proctor away from the state that’s not good. Osu is in a comfortable spot where you have a chance to finish top 2 in conference and make noise late in the season. Imagine playing Bama LSU MSt and Ark 4 of first 6 games? No thanks!!
???????? We have not been a "middle of the pack" team in the Big 12. Finishes by year:

2009 - T 2nd
2010 - T 1st (6-2 with divisions tied with several teams for best record)
2011 - 1st
2012 - 3rd
2013 - 3rd
2014 - 7th
2015 - 3rd
2016 - 2nd
2017 - 3rd
2018 - 7th

Don't know how bad 2018 hurt our cumulative versus the other conference teams, but going in to the season I believe we had the second best cumulative conference record of all Big 12 teams. Recently we had 2 third place and a second place finish. In the current SEC setup with divisions they get one more non-conference game and they tend to schedule light opponents. One more easy game a year is huge.

Since 2009 versus SEC teams (including 3 conference games with A&M and Mizzou which are now SEC, all wins) we are 6-3. Without those conference games we are 3-3. Except for one game we have held our own just fine.

I believe we would be consistently playing with a shot at the SEC West crown. A&M had a .500 conference record in the Big 12 and has had the same in the SEC. Some things don't change.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I'm glad we didn't go the the PAC 12 if we had with ou we would have to move the conference championship to Jerry's World because both teams playing would have been east of the Rockies. Arkansas left the SWC to go to the SEC and really they've done nothing since, the same as aTm and Mizzou. The same as Nebraska in the Big10 and Colorado in the PAC12. While West Virginia has benefited financially they haven't really up'd the level of competition in the Big12. As far as OSU's level in the SEC I would expect better recruiting and at around the same level as Florida or maybe Auburn.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

While I tend to agree with the general premise, what the SEC's had that the Big 12 hasn't over the last 20 years is multiple schools who've won it all. Bama's dominated as of late, but having Tennessee, Florida, LSU & Auburn also win titles definitely lends itself to perception that there are several schools in the SEC capable of winning it all. Rightly or wrongly, the general perception of the Big 12 is that it's OU & TX that are capable of winning it all.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We have gone 10 - 3 against current SEC teams since 2008. We would be about like we are now, really solid but not able to quite get over the top.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Looking at conference winning % of the teams that have left the Big 12 over the same number of years after and prior to their departure.

A&M:
2012-2018 (SEC) (0.536)
2005-2011 (Big 12) (0.474)

Mizzou:
2012-2018 (SEC) (0.482)
2005-2011 (Big 12) (0.614)

Nebraska:
2011-2018 (B1G) (0.552)
2003-2010 (Big 12) (0.569)

CU:
2011-2018 (PAC-12) (0.236)
2003-2010 (Big 12) (0.375)

A&M and Nebraska have basically stayed the same. CU has gotten worse BUT 4 of their last 5 years in the Big 12 they went 2-6 and they average 2 conference wins a year in the PAC-12 so basically stayed the same.

Mizzou has gotten worse even in the weaker side of the SEC. My guess is the fact that Gary Pinkel fell off the wagon partway into their SEC existence.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
While I tend to agree with the general premise, what the SEC's had that the Big 12 hasn't over the last 20 years is multiple schools who've won it all. Bama's dominated as of late, but having Tennessee, Florida, LSU & Auburn also win titles definitely lends itself to perception that there are several schools in the SEC capable of winning it all. Rightly or wrongly, the general perception of the Big 12 is that it's OU & TX that are capable of winning it all.
College freshmen weren't alive the last time Tennessee won a title. I do agree that only UT & OU are seen as legitimate title contenders in the B12.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
TIL that regularly finishing top 3 in the conference with 9+ wins is mediocre.

Some of y'all need a reality check. There are maybe 10 programs in the country that wouldn't trade the last decade with Oklahoma State.

Jul 9, 2011
???????? We have not been a "middle of the pack" team in the Big 12. Finishes by year:

2009 - T 2nd
2010 - T 1st (6-2 with divisions tied with several teams for best record)
2011 - 1st
2012 - 3rd
2013 - 3rd
2014 - 7th
2015 - 3rd
2016 - 2nd
2017 - 3rd
2018 - 7th

Don't know how bad 2018 hurt our cumulative versus the other conference teams, but going in to the season I believe we had the second best cumulative conference record of all Big 12 teams. Recently we had 2 third place and a second place finish. In the current SEC setup with divisions they get one more non-conference game and they tend to schedule light opponents. One more easy game a year is huge.

Since 2009 versus SEC teams (including 3 conference games with A&M and Mizzou which are now SEC, all wins) we are 6-3. Without those conference games we are 3-3. Except for one game we have held our own just fine.

I believe we would be consistently playing with a shot at the SEC West crown. A&M had a .500 conference record in the Big 12 and has had the same in the SEC. Some things don't change.
Looking at conference winning % of the teams that have left the Big 12 over the same number of years after and prior to their departure.

A&M:
2012-2018 (SEC) (0.536)

Mizzou:
2012-2018 (SEC) (0.482)

Nebraska:
2011-2018 (B1G) (0.552)

CU:

A&M and Nebraska have basically stayed the same. CU has gotten worse BUT 4 of their last 5 years in the Big 12 they went 2-6 and they average 2 conference wins a year in the PAC-12 so basically stayed the same.

Mizzou has gotten worse even in the weaker side of the SEC. My guess is the fact that Gary Pinkel fell off the wagon partway into their SEC existence.
Good info. Just eyeballing Mizzou I'd say that they're averaging about a game and a half less wins per season in the SEC vs the Big 12. So not a huge collapse, but a drop off. HC change, a bad year recruiting, several things could make that difference, but not like they are getting torn up in the SEC.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Good info. Just eyeballing Mizzou I'd say that they're averaging about a game and a half less wins per season in the SEC vs the Big 12. So not a huge collapse, but a drop off. HC change, a bad year recruiting, several things could make that difference, but not like they are getting torn up in the SEC.

A&M:
2012-2018 (SEC) (0.536)

Mizzou:
2012-2018 (SEC) (0.482)

Nebraska:
2011-2018 (B1G) (0.552)

CU:

Interestingly, A&M's the only one of the four that wound up in the stronger division of their conference.

Nebraska hasn't been able to compete with Wisconsin in whatever they're calling that division now in the B1G.

Mizzou's won, what, 2 SEC East Division titles, but not even competitive in the SEC title game. Now, with UGA & others getting better, the East is tougher than it has been.

CU's the school that's really wasted tons of opportunity in their conference. Yes, they took advantage of a down conference the year we played them in the Alamo, but as the PAC12 has really been mediocre, CU really failed to capitalize on it.

A&M? Screw 'em.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Ole Miss cheated big time on recruits, too.

Jul 9, 2011
Another item I've wondered about while we are at it. Posted a while back but mods did not like my thread title.

How many more years will Gundy coach at OSU? I don't see him pulling Snyder. Once his boys leave home he might be more open to coaching elsewhere a few more years. But I'm also not sure he wants to go through starting over at some other school even for more $$. How much money does a person need?

So 5 years - over or under?