REALLY DULL OFF-SEASON BANTER BEGINS NOW!! I'll GO FIRST.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Another item I've wondered about while we are at it. Posted a while back but mods did not like my thread title.

How many more years will Gundy coach at OSU? I don't see him pulling Snyder. Once his boys leave home he might be more open to coaching elsewhere a few more years. But I'm also not sure he wants to go through starting over at some other school even for more $$. How much money does a person need?

So 5 years - over or under?
Over.

He may not want to coach until has old as Snyder, but he isn't going anywhere. This is his last coaching gig.

Nov 6, 2010
Ole Miss cheated big time on recruits, too.
Oh yes, I'm well aware, but they were legitimately (talent wise) a Sugar Bowl team. We were not given how Baylor finished the season with a walk on wide receiver playing QB and losing to a Texas team that was lousy. I still had a lot of fun in NOLA though, at least before the game kicked off.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Another item I've wondered about while we are at it. Posted a while back but mods did not like my thread title.

How many more years will Gundy coach at OSU? I don't see him pulling Snyder. Once his boys leave home he might be more open to coaching elsewhere a few more years. But I'm also not sure he wants to go through starting over at some other school even for more $$. How much money does a person need?

I'll take the under on 6 more years.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

Over. 100%. And this is his last coaching job. I think we are looking at 10 more years.

Nov 6, 2010
Over. 100%. And this is his last coaching job. I think we are looking at 10 more years.
I think it all depends on how the next few years go. If we don't win a conference championship in the next few, I can see him getting tired of the same old, same old, and wrap it up. Not sure he'd try to move on to a blue blood and win a NC, but he's competitive, so you never know. He might just decide to hang it up and enjoy life before he gets too old. He could do just fine and stay busy with a TV career.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Interestingly, A&M's the only one of the four that wound up in the stronger division of their conference.

Nebraska hasn't been able to compete with Wisconsin in whatever they're calling that division now in the B1G.

Mizzou's won, what, 2 SEC East Division titles, but not even competitive in the SEC title game. Now, with UGA & others getting better, the East is tougher than it has been.

CU's the school that's really wasted tons of opportunity in their conference. Yes, they took advantage of a down conference the year we played them in the Alamo, but as the PAC12 has really been mediocre, CU really failed to capitalize on it.

A&M? Screw 'em.
Nebraska hasn't been able to compete with Wisconsin in whatever they're calling that division now in the B1G.

That is called "The Old White Entitlement Division".

CU's the school that's really wasted tons of opportunity in their conference.
CU cares more about it's commitment to liberal arts than it does to a strong football program. They're weak and we exposed them the last time we played them. The fans want a team, but the university regents would rather have reruns of "Mork & Mindy" playing on the Jumbotron.

Both former Big 12 schools placate themselves with thoughts of their schools being more cerebral than they were in the Big 12, but the fact is their fans are salivating for some of the glory days of football success.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think it all depends on how the next few years go. If we don't win a conference championship in the next few, I can see him getting tired of the same old, same old, and wrap it up. Not sure he'd try to move on to a blue blood and win a NC, but he's competitive, so you never know. He might just decide to hang it up and enjoy life before he gets too old. He could do just fine and stay busy with a TV career.
If we don't win a conference championship in the next few, as you say, that means he would have won 1 conference championship in 2 decades. That's not really what the blue bloods are likely to come shopping for.

Nov 6, 2010
If we don't win a conference championship in the next few, as you say, that means he would have won 1 conference championship in 2 decades. That's not really what the blue bloods are likely to come shopping for.
Yea, maybe, but his national brand is pretty strong right now. AD's understand the inherent disadvantages he faces.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

That is called "The Old White Entitlement Division".

CU's the school that's really wasted tons of opportunity in their conference.
CU cares more about it's commitment to liberal arts than it does to a strong football program. They're weak and we exposed them the last time we played them. The fans want a team, but the university regents would rather have reruns of "Mork & Mindy" playing on the Jumbotron.

Both former Big 12 schools placate themselves with thoughts of their schools being more cerebral than they were in the Big 12, but the fact is their fans are salivating for some of the glory days of football success.
1560374837345.png

I'm working right now in the sports medicine facility they just opened in 2015. (bottom corner of Folsom Field in the pic)

They've raised some serious cash to build the Champions Center, which is alot like our WEZ project, & a new indoor faciility (you can see it's roof in the bottom left of this picture).

They thought they'd arrived a couple of years ago when we played them in the Alamo & now it's on to yet another head coach.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Oh yes, I'm well aware, but they were legitimately (talent wise) a Sugar Bowl team. We were not given how Baylor finished the season with a walk on wide receiver playing QB and losing to a Texas team that was lousy. I still had a lot of fun in NOLA though, at least before the game kicked off.
If not for a miracle for Arkansas, Ole Miss would have represented the West in Atlanta. The Rebs put it on Bama that year and were a tremendous team.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Agree on the pregame festivities.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Won one, should have one at least one more, and several more seconds to OU. Its like having Bama in your division. I think he is very highly rated. A couple more wins vs OU and he would be golden.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
One one, should have one at least one more, and several more seconds to OU. Its like having Bama in your division. I think he is very highly rated. A couple more wins vs OU and he would be golden.
OU was more within reach than Bama, and UT left the door wide open. We may see the past decade as a bit of a lost opportunity, but I agree, he's a couple of Bedlam wins away from Mt Rushmore.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I'm going to say last, or near last.... sort of like Vandy.

We run a clean program now, and we could not really compete without cheating like a SEC team, especially given our geographical location.

If we cheated, then maybe like Ole Miss... some great years followed by slightly down. (which we're achieving now without cheating)

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm going to say last, or near last.... sort of like Vandy.

We run a clean program now, and we could not really compete without cheating like a SEC team, especially given our geographical location.

If we cheated, then maybe like Ole Miss... some great years followed by slightly down. (which we're achieving now without cheating)
WTF?

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
As far as Gundy's tenure: Me thinks Gundy could possibly be persuaded to leave for a chance to be a national champion given the right circumstances. It would be probably 5 years down the line, but he could finally get that itch to prove how good a coach he could be given the type of players that ou, LSU, UF or UCLA normally lands.

Good players make good coaches and that's certainly the case at Bama with Saban. Saban surrounds himself with the best coaches and players. He's a taskmaster and runs a demanding, tight ship, but usually allows his coaches to call the game (unless they're behind or too close for comfort). Yet, Saban will take over a game when he feels necessary.

Gundy is growing as a HC. He's attracting better coaches and players, but he's a long way from enjoying the success of Bama or ou, who recruit so much better because of their long history of success.

If Dabo Sweeney ever left Clemson for the NFL or whatever, I believe that Clemson would come after Gundy. And for Gundy to turn down that opportunity or one like it, would be tough for even the hardiest of OSU diehard coaches.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
View attachment 70974

I'm working right now in the sports medicine facility they just opened in 2015. (bottom corner of Folsom Field in the pic)

They've raised some serious cash to build the Champions Center, which is alot like our WEZ project, & a new indoor faciility (you can see it's roof in the bottom left of this picture).

They thought they'd arrived a couple of years ago when we played them in the Alamo & now it's on to yet another head coach.
Having lived in Colorado for so long with CU basically being the only team outside of the Broncos you heard much about, CU had at one point a female president who didn't give a damn about CU Buffalo football and they suffered for it.
She's been gone for a while now, but CU has yet to recover fully. Sure, they had a decent season or two, but looking at their players, especially when we played them, it was so obvious that we had bigger, faster and more talented players than the Buffies. We crushed them.

CU has the money, facilities and the natural beauty of the campus to attract any number of quality kids, but this is what happens when you lose sight of the 800 lb gorilla that, like it or not, must be fed or your school had better be MIT. And no one likes to talk about MIT on Sportscenter.