Rise of Skywalker

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
What did everyone think?

I'm a little surprised that it's not getting decent reviews. The critics loved TLJ and although it had its moments in hindsight it was a disappointment and that is being kind. After one viewing I'd call this one better than anything the middle trilogy had and definitely worth seeing in the theater.

Seriously I liked it. Gonna re-watch tomorrow so I can digest it a little better.

Opening scene was great. It set the tone and pacing for the movie. Pretty much any time a light saber was drawn it was epic.

You got the feeling Abrams was trying to undo the mistakes Johnson had with the last one. I've seen it said in the AV thread on this movie and elsewhere and I agree. In a perfect world TLJ never happens and this movie is goes further and is split in two.

Wasn't a fan of a fakeout scene but it was important to the plot and needed to be done. It could have been better but it's a small gripe.

I have questions about how the big bad did what he did early but am guessing if Johnson hadn't gone off the rails that would have been explained better. It led to a fairly predictable twist but as someone who likes to watch fun entertaining movies it was satisfying.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I think i read too many leaks. There were plot points that were obviously changed in the editing room floor. Like Lando and the ex trooper that befriends Finn.

I hate stupid things left dangling in movies that are supposed to tie up loose ends. Like whatever Finn wanted to say to Rey.

We got absolutely no explanation of how Palpatine ended up on exigal. How did they get all the parts for the destroyers there? How long had he been building this fleet? How did big ships make it through the red storm when small x-wings were having trouble?

I'm sure there were more things that I've forgotten. All in all i truly liked the movie, just annoyed at things.

Yes I wish tlj hadn't happened.

Also, is the AV the new happening place? Maybe i need to join if there is already a star wars thread in there.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I like it a lot. There were a couple of twists that I never saw coming.

TLJ had too many "wtf" moments that ruined it, like "dropping bombs in weight-less space", Leia surviving space and force floating, and the anticapitalism statement (very strange for the most successful film-franchise of all time, they ain't giving a penny back). They should have stuck with the Rey-Luke-Kylo and that plot was very, very good.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
What did everyone think?

I'm a little surprised that it's not getting decent reviews. The critics loved TLJ and although it had its moments in hindsight it was a disappointment and that is being kind. After one viewing I'd call this one better than anything the middle trilogy had and definitely worth seeing in the theater.

Seriously I liked it. Gonna re-watch tomorrow so I can digest it a little better.

Opening scene was great. It set the tone and pacing for the movie. Pretty much any time a light saber was drawn it was epic.

You got the feeling Abrams was trying to undo the mistakes Johnson had with the last one. I've seen it said in the AV thread on this movie and elsewhere and I agree. In a perfect world TLJ never happens and this movie is goes further and is split in two.

Wasn't a fan of a fakeout scene but it was important to the plot and needed to be done. It could have been better but it's a small gripe.

I have questions about how the big bad did what he did early but am guessing if Johnson hadn't gone off the rails that would have been explained better. It led to a fairly predictable twist but as someone who likes to watch fun entertaining movies it was satisfying.
Yes lightsaber battles were awesome. Also, what fakeout?

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Yes lightsaber battles were awesome. Also, what fakeout?

When you thought they killed off someone (great scene btw) and 2 minutes later you realize that didn't happen and it gets casually explained away. I thought the character deserved a better death and was surprised they didn't show it but then you realize why.

Again minor gripe.

Sep 22, 2011
I liked it, but this movie would have been a lot better if it didnt have to spend so much time fixing the glaring issues with the last jedi. The scenes with leia were incredibly awkward but I honesty liked how her story ended, so i can forgive them having to force the stock footage/cgi to get there. You could definitely tell this was a movie that had a lot of major plot changes post first edit and once again we introduce characters who are unnecessary and add nothing to the story. I appreciated all of the subtle digs at the stupid things in tlj like the holdo tactics, rose being basically eliminated, and luke doing a total 180 in character, rey not being the best at everything with ni effort was a nice touch too, JJ abrams in my opinion can hang his hat on saving the trilogy after the worst star wars movie yet, but i feel thi movie could have been great if not for all of the mistakes it was having to apologize for or correct

Sep 22, 2011
When you thought they killed off someone (great scene btw) and 2 minutes later you realize that didn't happen and it gets casually explained away. I thought the character deserved a better death and was surprised they didn't show it but then you realize why.

Again minor gripe.
It was probably a change that was made during reshoots, because he really doesn't do anything after that.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
A lesson to all the kids out there (even though it should be obvious)....if you get handed the keys to one of the most successful IPs in history, plan out the entire freaking trilogy before production even starts on the first movie.

I just haven't been excited for this movie. I'm sure I'll see it but probably not until after the new year.