Romney Drops Out of Race

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Darth Sensitive

Official OP Referee
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2007
I never said I wouldn't vote for him.

But I think your faith is a very important issue. If you believe like the person you are voting for, they are more likely to make the same decisions you would.

If it comes down to 2 guys, and both have very similar beliefs, you would vote for the one with the same religion as you... would you not?
I wouldn't. A Pastafarian Believer in the Invisible Pink Unicorn / agnostic-ish Catholic seems a bit irreverent and wishy washy to me.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
Australia
Seems like you are making assumptions about me. I just suggested that if you are interested to research it yourself, so you could learn about it, not have someone tell you about it.

And you can find many unbias sources, starting with the church itself.
Yea, nothing more unbiased about its beliefs than a church. No bias there at all.:rolleyes: And you had the nerve to come on hear and call me uneducated. I may not know much about certain religious details, but I know enough to know I am not going to get an unbiased assessment of something from the promotional material that they put out. Thanks for all your gracious help.

Mar 3, 2004
OKC
Yea, nothing more unbiased about its beliefs than a church. No bias there at all.:rolleyes: And you had the nerve to come on hear and call me uneducated. I may not know much about certain religious details, but I know enough to know I am not going to get an unbiased assessment of something from the promotional material that they put out. Thanks for all your gracious help.
On the church website would they not lay out their beliefs? I guess you can't go anywhere and find anything unbias at all...

And I didn't call you uneducated. I said it seems like many in the thread were uneducated WHEN IT CAME TO MORMONISM.

You need to get your panties out of a wad and quit freaking out.

Mar 3, 2004
OKC
I wouldn't. A Pastafarian Believer in the Invisible Pink Unicorn / agnostic-ish Catholic seems a bit irreverent and wishy washy to me.
So, do you have any religious beliefs? I would assume you don't since you make that comment?

I'm just saying, I'm a Baptist. If Romney and Huckabee are exactly the same in their political views, I'm voting Huckabee b/c I have the same religious beliefs. Meaning in the situations that come up that aren't talked about in these debates, he is more likely to make the same decision I think would be right for this country.

Darth Sensitive

Official OP Referee
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2007
What is this you are talking about, the Christian afterlife... I would like to hear this since I have no clue what you are refering to.
You know? The whole "heaven or hell" bit?

Matthew 25:31-36 said:
When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and He will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at His right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” ... “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”

Then He will say to those at His left hand, “You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.” ... “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.” And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Mormonism is pretty whacky. As others have pointed out, other religions can be pretty whacky, too. Who wouldn't want to eat a cow?

I'll admit to being made uncomfortable by the concept of Mormonism. It seems so artificial to me, probably because it is so recent. Scientology seems really out there to me, probably for the same reason.

However, whether or not a candidate is a Mormon would be of no relevancy to me in determining how I vote. I'm more interested in how effective a person could govern.

Jul 21, 2006
Tyler, TX
My misgivings with Gov. Romney's religion aside, I wouldn't have voted for him because I don't think his political positions can be trusted. Looking at his history, he seems to change his stance to fit the situation he's in. I would rather vote for someone that I knew would be more likely to follow through with his/her positions, even if I disagreed with a few of them, than someone that I don't know which side they will support.

Mar 3, 2004
OKC
Mormonism is pretty whacky. As others have pointed out, other religions can be pretty whacky, too. Who wouldn't want to eat a cow?

I'll admit to being made uncomfortable by the concept of Mormonism. It seems so artificial to me, probably because it is so recent. Scientology seems really out there to me, probably for the same reason.

However, whether or not a candidate is a Mormon would be of no relevancy to me in determining how I vote. I'm more interested in how effective a person could govern.
Does religion not effect how you govern?

Religion is a huge part of people's lives. Many people live their lives by what their religious beliefs are.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
There have been effective leaders who were adherents to almost all religions, including some that no longer exist. Likewise, there have been ineffective leaders of those same persuasions. Deep down, I don't think Ronald Reagan was a particularly spiritual person, but I think he was a pretty effective leader.

Erick

Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit
Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:

Religion is a huge part of people's lives. Many people live their lives by what their religious beliefs are.
Absolutely. People should vote according to their spiritual beliefs. Of course just because a man is spiritual doesn't necessarily mean that he is qualified.

Mar 3, 2004
OKC
I think it is an issue, but it is not something that is at the top of the list.

You should never vote just b/c of a persons spiritual beliefs... but I think it will(and should) enter into the process of decision making.