Ron Paul on Jay Leno in case you missed it...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1EFHgUXZaU

Highlights from the show.

- Jay asked all the right questions. Did his research.
- Had Ron on for 2 segments. Brought him back after the commercial break.
- Plugged his book A Foreign Policy of Freedom.
- A woman who has gone to every Jay Leno taping for the past 3 years said, “the only guests to have this many people outside hoping to get a ticket were George Clooney, Justin Timberlake, and the kid from Harry Potter. Possibly the longest line for tickets in Tonight Show history, at the least in recent memory.”
- Ron has a great laugh line.
- Jonny Rotten of the Sex Pistols had a shout out to Ron Paul while on stage. After the show he told Ron it was an honor to meet him.
- Tom Cruise came by the dressing room and talked for about 10 minutes about legislation and came across very supportive.
- Jay Leno did the same and was very relaxed and friendly.”

Feb 7, 2007
This was a great interview - not soundbite based, no interruptions, no BS. Paul's stances sometimes take more then just a sentence of explanation, and he was allowed time to clarify his position. Leno asked relevant questions.

As always, Ron rules.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Yeah I saw that. He's a pretty charismatic guy and I really like his fiscal ideas. However, his isolationist attitude scares me and IMO its not a good quality to have in a President.

I'm also a little leary of any candidate that makes promises like completely doing away with the income tax. Just seems like an empty promise geared to gain votes.

May 6, 2005
Yeah, some of his positions are not very realistic. Namely what you guys have already said. Taxes and Foreign Policy. Now, I could see him influencing positive changes in those areas, but he has to come down out of the clouds a little to do so.

Feb 7, 2007
Yeah I saw that. He's a pretty charismatic guy and I really like his fiscal ideas. However, his isolationist attitude scares me and IMO its not a good quality to have in a President.

I'm also a little leary of any candidate that makes promises like completely doing away with the income tax. Just seems like an empty promise geared to gain votes.
Did you even watch the interview? He's said in this one, and nearly every other one that he IS NOT AN ISOLATIONIST. He's NON-INTERVENTIONALIST. There is a huge difference. He believes in trade, communication, etc. with all countries. He doesn't believe in entangling alliances and medling in affairs that are none of our concern.

You're leary (fyi, that's leery) of any candidate that wants to do away with income tax? And then you say it's an empty promise of someone geared to gain votes? I suggest you research Ron Paul, and maybe you'll find that he is the most consistent voter in congress, the most principled man in congress, and that what he says is what he means. He doesn't pander, which is fundamentally what draws his support - not necessarily that everyone agrees w/ his stance, rather that they know exactly what they are getting, which is far far more than what you get with any other candidate running on either side of the spectrum.

You know we didn't have an income tax prior to 1913, and that our government was fine before that?

RoVerto Solo

Lifetime Ban
Banned
Feb 10, 2007
Did you even watch the interview? He's said in this one, and nearly every other one that he IS NOT AN ISOLATIONIST. He's NON-INTERVENTIONALIST. There is a huge difference. He believes in trade, communication, etc. with all countries. He doesn't believe in entangling alliances and medling in affairs that are none of our concern.

You're leary (fyi, that's leery) of any candidate that wants to do away with income tax? And then you say it's an empty promise of someone geared to gain votes? I suggest you research Ron Paul, and maybe you'll find that he is the most consistent voter in congress, the most principled man in congress, and that what he says is what he means. He doesn't pander, which is fundamentally what draws his support - not necessarily that everyone agrees w/ his stance, rather that they know exactly what they are getting, which is far far more than what you get with any other candidate running on either side of the spectrum.

You know we didn't have an income tax prior to 1913, and that our government was fine before that?
I agree with the elimination of individual income taxes and any type of business or fiduciary income tax. The intrusion into the private affairs of Americans needs to stop. In support of this position, I ask this simple question:

Why does the federal government have to know the name of your doctors, the amounts of medication your are taking and the charities you make contributions to determine your tax liability?

The problem with doing away with the income tax laws is that no one has discussed what will be done about the collection of social security contributions from the self-employed.

I also to do not see how the IRS can be eliminated, if taxes are going to be collected and accounted regardless of what type of tax replaces the income tax.

I won't call anyone simple minded that says that all we need to do is do away with the income laws and the IRS, and everything will be just great. But I would like to.

OSUCherokee

Territorial Marshal

Easy there buddy. First of all, he may be consistent in his voting, but so was Hitler. ;) lol... just messin with ya

Also, our government was fine before 1913 because we were still living off the riches of the expansionist era. If you recall, this is when we had massive influence in the Americas as far as things like Panama, Hawaii, etc... We didn't need income tax because we were making our money from gaining so many resources from new lands. If you notice the income tax started in 1913, there is good clear reason for this. We ran out of land to take. After this, we were stuck with the land we had and needed to improve upon it. All of a sudden there was no great american west for immigrants to move to, thus cities like New York boomed at an extraordinary pace that required public funding. Theres a reason why he kept using the word empire during his speech. It's what have been ever since the early 20th century. It's an empire built on trade and business.

Income tax isn't the enemy, its the people we give the ability to spend it, and do so poorly.

May 29, 2007
NE OK
I agree with the elimination of individual income taxes and any type of business or fiduciary income tax. The intrusion into the private affairs of Americans needs to stop. In support of this position, I ask this simple question:

Why does the federal government have to know the name of your doctors, the amounts of medication your are taking and the charities you make contributions to determine your tax liability?

The problem with doing away with the income tax laws is that no one has discussed what will be done about the collection of social security contributions from the self-employed.

I also to do not see how the IRS can be eliminated, if taxes are going to be collected and accounted regardless of what type of tax replaces the income tax.

I won't call anyone simple minded that says that all we need to do is do away with the income laws and the IRS, and everything will be just great. But I would like to.

www.fairtax.org These people have a few Ideas.

RoVerto Solo

Lifetime Ban
Banned
Feb 10, 2007
www.fairtax.org These people have a few Ideas.
They have some good ideas, but they need to do some more thinking.

I don't like any part of the bold proposals in red, period.

This means that the more money you make the more you will share in the sales tax paid by everyone. In other words, the rich get richer at retirement on the backs of the poor and middle class. There is also no discussion on how the self-employed will determine their income.

I have my own answers to the issues of the treatment of the self-employed and the calculation of future SS benefits for everyone, but that will have to wait for a later time.

How is the Social Security system affected?

Like all federal spending programs, Social Security operates exactly as it does today, except that its funds come from a broad, progressive sales tax, rather than a narrow, regressive payroll tax. Employers continue to report wages for each employee, though, to the Social Security Administration for the determination of benefits. The transition to a reformed Social Security system is eased while ensuring there is sufficient funding to continue promised benefits.

Meanwhile, Social Security/Medicare funds are no longer triple-taxed as under the current system: 1) when payroll taxes are initially withheld; 2) when those withheld payroll taxes are counted as part of the taxable base for income tax purposes; and 3) when the promised benefits are finally received.

How does the FairTax affect Social Security reform?

FairTax.org is a one-issue organization: Tax replacement. However, its proposal does benefit any Social Security reform proposal. The FairTax.org plan does not change Social Security benefits or the structure of the Social Security system. All it does is replace the current revenue source (narrow, regressive payroll taxes) with a new revenue source (broad, progressive sales taxes paid by all consumers).

Additionally, research shows that consumption is a more stable revenue source than income. If Social Security is reformed or privatized in a way that reduces the government’s need for revenue, then the FairTax rate can be reduced. For example, if a mandatory private savings program is implemented where people must save ten percent of their income and Social Security benefits are curtailed, then the FairTax rate can be reduced just as payroll taxes would be reduced.

OK350

Greenhorn
Jan 16, 2007
Income tax isn't the enemy, its the people we give the ability to spend it, and do so poorly.
Agreed 100%, the income tax is here and is here to stay, whether people like it or not. The issue that I want the candidates to look at is lowering the rates and being more fiscally responsible. The fair tax or any other form of tax reform is not going to happen in our lifetime. The amount of politics involved is simply too much to overcome.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

Yes I watched the interview. Not forming alliances and not medling (fyi, that's meddling) in affairs outside our borders is isolationsist despite what he says or what you believe.

When I say it's an empty promise, I mean it's not something he'll be able accomplish, regardless of whether he really wants to do it or not. It reminds me of a school kid promising no homework if he is elected class president. He may really want to do away with homework but he knows it won't happen.

As I said I really like the guy and he is very charismatic. If he wins the nomination, I will be behind him because he is a thousand times better than anyone on the other side of the aisle. That doens't change the fact that he is 5th on my list in the primaries.