Ron Paul schools Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke (again)...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2007
The question is, could anyone see ANY other candidate on either side of the spectrum leading this type of conversation? It just further displays Paul's fundamental understanding of Economics. He left this supposed Econ scholar stuttering, shuffling, then speechless.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
The question is, could anyone see ANY other candidate on either side of the spectrum leading this type of conversation? It just further displays Paul's fundamental understanding of Economics. He left this supposed Econ scholar stuttering, shuffling, then speechless.
You're right no other candidate would do that.....That is Paul's blessing and curse. Sometime's when he takes things on it comes off good other's not so much. I don't know that this is the slam dunk you and Kaje see it as as I think if Paul would have passionately said he just boned Bernanke's wife Ben would have given a pretty measured response. Economist aren't known for their fire.

You have to admire his passion. You know I don't think he has a shot or agree him much but I do think he cares more than most.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I guess I didn't' see it like you did. I saw a guy giving a speech. Not really asking any questions. So I really didn't see anyone getting schooled. Plus when it comes to matters of economics I think I would rather listen to the guy with degrees from Harvard and MIT in economics, as opposed to a gynecologist/politician. Don't get me wrong I think Paul is a bright guy and would probably make a better president than most of the people running, but some of his economic views are a bit askew.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Plus when it comes to matters of economics I think I would rather listen to the guy with degrees from Harvard and MIT in economics, as opposed to a gynecologist/politician.
Not a good idea. Listen to the substance of arguments and make a decision based on that. Falling to authority bias is a common mistake. Experts can be full of it, too.

http://www.csj.org/studyindex/studyrecruit/study_influence.htm

Having said that, I agree with you that all that Dr. Paul did was point out the quandary that the Fed is in right now. He did not offer a solution. The only solution I am aware of that he has offered on the campaign trail is abolish the Fed and return to the gold standard. The economic upheaval that would likely result from that would make the tech bubble/housing boom/credit crisis look like small bumps in the road.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Not a good idea. Listen to the substance of arguments and make a decision based on that. Falling to authority bias is a common mistake. Experts can be full of it, too.
You are obviously right when you say that experts can be full of it too. Although if said expert isn't obviously full of it, and a novice wannabe expert also doesn't appear to be full of it either (meaning both make good arguments). I'm still going with the supposed expert.