Rx's Summer Thread #1: How did you fall in love with OSU?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Dog days of summer... football camp still a few weeks off, baseball long over. What's your story? What was it that first turned your blood orange?

I'm not going to tell my first OSU story, but I'll tell my favorite. I was teaching pharmacy for Ole Miss at the Medical Center in Jackson, MS. My dept. chair introduces a drug rep to me that was from Oklahoma. He asks me if I was an OU fan, and I said as a matter of fact, I'm an OSU fan and I tell him this story. We were at the OSU K-State game in 1989. Bedlam was the week before in Norman and Mike Gundy sprained his knee. The KSU game was the only start he missed after he became starter. My wife was preggers with my son at the time while we were at the game. The QB who started the game was awful. The offense couldn't do anything. I mean just about Alex Cate awful. In the middle of the third we're behind 10-0. I turned to my wife and say, "I just do not believe that Mike Gundy is going to stand on the sidelines and watch his team lose to K-State." This is pre-Snyder K-State when they were everyone's homecoming game. Sure enough, late in the third Gundy limped onto the field and led the Pokes to two touchdowns and a 14-10 victory. The second touchdown pass was late in the 4th quarter and went to... Brent Parker. When we scored the second time I turned to my wife, pointed at her belly and said, "That boy's name in Mike." and that is how my son got his name.

As I'm telling this story the drug rep is getting a funny look on his face. After I finish he says, "Um, I'm the quarterback who started that game." I said, "You're Chris Smith? From Ponca City?" He said, "Yes." I said, "Well, if you had won the game maybe my son would be named Chris." He didn't think it was funny, and we didn't become friends.

Jul 22, 2014
I was born with orange blood (3rd generation Poke), so OSU is all I’ve ever known. I was born in 1986, so my first memories of football were the early 90s seasons without much success. The moment that really stand out to me from my early days though was the 1995 Bedlam win (12-0).

The 1995 Bedlam game happened to be on the same day as my 9th birthday party (my parents wouldn’t let me skip my own party to stay home and listen to the 2nd half) and I kept asking my dad every few minutes if I could go out to the car and check the score on the radio. One thing that was drilled into me as a young OSU fan was that we hadn’t beat OU since 1976 (to me as a kid that might as well have been 1876 it seemed like such ancient history), so beating OU that day was a lot of fun.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I was born with orange blood (3rd generation Poke), so OSU is all I’ve ever known. I was born in 1986, so my first memories of football were the early 90s seasons without much success. The moment that really stand out to me from my early days though was the 1995 Bedlam win (12-0).

The 1995 Bedlam game happened to be on the same day as my 9th birthday party (my parents wouldn’t let me skip my own party to stay home and listen to the 2nd half) and I kept asking my dad every few minutes if I could go out to the car and check the score on the radio. One thing that was drilled into me as a young OSU fan was that we hadn’t beat OU since 1976 (to me as a kid that might as well have been 1876 it seemed like such ancient history), so beating OU that day was a lot of fun.
My son was also born in 1986 and I took him to that game when he was 9 years old. We sat in the middle of a sea of Crimson fans and he screamed his head off for the Pokes to the displeasure of all around him. He graduated from OSU himself in 2010. Even though in reality the football that day was average, it was glorious to shut out the Goons and Tone’ Jones and RW McQuarters etched their names in OSU history.

https://youtu.be/fJKD9EofmwU

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
My son was also born in 1986 and I took him to that game when he was 9 years old. We sat in the middle of a sea of Crimson fans and he screamed his head off for the Pokes to the displeasure of all around him. He graduated from OSU himself in 2010. Even though in reality the football that day was average, it was glorious to shut out the Goons and Tone’ Jones and RW McQuarters etched their names in OSU history.

This is my all time favorite--too. I was 18 and OSU had never beaten OU in my lifetime (just the awful tie a few years prior), and my dad and I just decided that morning that we had a gut feeling we didn't want to miss this game. In '95, it was easy to walk up and get a cheap ticket to an OU game on the street. We sat in the north end zone and ran all the way onto the field and through the OU band after the game to celebrate with the OSU fans and team in the other end zone.

Then, we drove back to Stillwater, where KSPI had "Celebrate" by Cool and the Gang on repeat with calls from Bill Teegins dubbed in ("you should see the field, Cowboy fans and supporters are all over the field"), to welcome the team back in the old Lewis Field with a huge crowd of delirious fans.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
This is my all time favorite--too. I was 18 and OSU had never beaten OU in my lifetime (just the awful tie a few years prior), and my dad and I just decided that morning that we had a gut feeling we didn't want to miss this game. In '95, it was easy to walk up and get a cheap ticket to an OU game on the street. We sat in the north end zone and ran all the way onto the field and through the OU band after the game to celebrate with the OSU fans and team in the other end zone.

Then, we drove back to Stillwater, where KSPI had "Celebrate" by Cool and the Gang on repeat with calls from Bill Teegins dubbed in ("you should see the field, Cowboy fans and supporters are all over the field"), to welcome the team back in the old Lewis Field with a huge crowd of delirious fans.
I may or may not have been on the field that day.....;) Have a good friend who worked at OU at the time and invited me to Bedlam. We're still great friends but have never attended another Bedlam together. There were 2 other times they visited us during the OU/Texas game and the Sooners lost both.

I got hooked on OSU in 1975 when a close family friend was on the football team. There was a guy named Terry Miller in front of him so his playing time was limited! It was the first time I had been in a stadium that size to soak it all in. The feeling I had when I walked up the tunnel can't be described but I still feel it every time a new season starts. It's almost 50 years later and I hope it never fades.

Last edited:

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I may or may not have been on the field that day.....;) Have a good friend who worked at OU at the time and invited me to Bedlam. We're still great friends but have never attended another Bedlam together. There were 2 other times they visited us during the OU/Texas game and the Sooners lost both.

I got hooked on OSU in 1975 when a close family friend was on the football team. There was a guy named Terry Miller in front of him so his playing time was limited! It was the first time I had been in a stadium that size to soak it all in. The feeling I had when I walked up the tunnel can't be described but I still feel it every time a new season starts. It's almost 50 years later and I hope it never fades.
Terry Miller is one of my all time favorite Pokes. I think he is typically very underrated on lists of our best RBs - I put him behind only Barry and Thurman. People forget (or never knew) he finished 2nd in the Heisman Trophy vote to Earl Campbell, one of the best college/pro RBs ever.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

Was there as well. 50 yard line first row. Only orange person there and I let them have it. R. W. was warming up at half doing sprints along the side line and gaining withering abuse. Stopped right in front of me and I screamed “you’re the man!” As was the parlance of the times. He gave me double guns and laughed. The rest is history. My old boss knew this story and ran into RW years later in Chicago. Got his autograph for me saying “No, you’re the man!” Still treasure it even if it’s fake.

Jun 14, 2011
11/16/01, GIA, Cincinnati at OSU, sophomore year for me. The crowd was amazing, the lights went out and wouldn't come back on after the player introductions. Dub for the Cowboys. Basketball heaven ever since. I was kind of meh on college during my freshman year, but after that... All in.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
When I did my college tour.

The morning was standard. Tour guide took a bunch of families around. My mom was with me and she is a former extension agent. She had extension agent stuff to do that afternoon so I had that time to wander around. I made my way to GIA. I graduated high school in 98 so it was old GIA. Anyways it was unlocked so I went in. And holy balls, I got to see Eddie have a private practice with Robisch and an assistant. I just sat down and watched. I can't describe my mindset-it was like holy cow I'm sitting here watching this. They all seemed to notice me at the same time-had 3 sets of eyes on my at once, but they just shrugged and went on with it. I wasn't there that long-maybe a half hour, but it was super cool. And that was that. That moment was the hook.

I grew up a fan of the other school and honestly the only reason I took a visit was they had a better scholarship offer. But that afternoon changed it for me.

Feb 25, 2008

I too was born with orange blood, so OSU is all I’ve ever known. I was born in 1964, so one my first memories of football were the Terry Miller/Charlie Weatherbie days. We went to Branson and toured the Silver Dollar City cave during the 1976 OU game. We had a radio but of course it didn't work in the cave. When we went into the cave we were losing.... when we came out of the cave we had won the game. I don't know what really happened in the game - but winning was good enough. Maybe I'll have to watch it someday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFRRrbqAXTA

Was many many years until we beat ou again - but I was there to see it. Our church took some of the youth group to the game. Our interim youth minister was so upset at the loss that he forbid anyone to speak on the bus ride home. As chairman of the search committee for a new youth minister, I didn't recommend the guy to become our permanent youth minister.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Freshman year was the dropped pass in the end zone for the bedlam loss. Had to live on the football floor since my roommate was 3rd maybe 5th string kicker. Knew most of the players before they moved all into one dorm. They’re the reasons I love you OSU football.
That was my freshman year at OSU too. Was at the game and couldn’t believe that play. By the time we got back to the frat house someone had already posted pics of Parker all over the house saying “If you see this guy, kill him.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I grew up in Owasso In the 1980's my sister was 7 years older than me. Drove to Stillwater to see her boyfriend who was in school at OSU. I ran around campus with his niece and probably put a bunch of subconscious memories about Stillwater and OSU.

I always felt uncomfortable with obnoxious OU fans and never really wanted to vibe with them.
It was solidified in 1988 When my family was in Los Angeles for New Years and I watched one of my football games on television the Holiday Bowl.

When I was graduating high school, I realized Oklahoma State had a well regarded business school and seemed like the best situation after scholarships and instate tuition.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I grew up in Owasso In the 1980's my sister was 7 years older than me. Drove to Stillwater to see her boyfriend who was in school at OSU. I ran around campus with his niece and probably put a bunch of subconscious memories about Stillwater and OSU.

I always felt uncomfortable with obnoxious OU fans and never really wanted to vibe with them.
It was solidified in 1988 When my family was in Los Angeles for New Years and I watched one of my football games on television the Holiday Bowl.

When I was graduating high school, I realized Oklahoma State had a well regarded business school and seemed like the best situation after scholarships and instate tuition.
Good on ya. The only research I did was see 80% of the rich jerk offspring from high school were picking UO. I wanted Pepperdine and was packed for it, but then a voice. “Stay close to home”. Couldn’t go with the jerks…so.

Turned out, dad wasn’t much longer for this world. Greatest move I ever made.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Was an OU fan (I was young and didn’t know any better) growing up but went to Oklahoma State because they gave me more scholarship money. My freshman year was 2003-2004. Gallagher-Iba. I think that about covers it.

Dec 17, 2011
It was my sister. My family moved around the world and no one even heard of osu before. She started the trend by going here. It wasn't until I came up for a football game in 6th grade that I knew osu was my home. My family bleeds the brightest orange

Nov 8, 2013
I was 1st-gen OSU for my family (we moved to Oklahoma when I was in elementary school in the early 70's). Fell in love with OSU as a freshman in 82-83 - football and basketball games were a ton of fun. I didn't really go to any games at OSU prior to my freshman year as we had no family connection. In fact, I can't remember ANY OSU games (except perhaps the All-College basketball tournament in the "Incomparable Myriad"). I am happy to say that one of my kids became a 2nd-gen OSU grad, which is saying something since she was raised exclusively in Arizona.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
1964, my sophomore year. Opened at Arkansas and dropped a 10-14 heart breaker to the ultimate national champs. Two weeks later beat Mizzou (ranked #3) in Columbia. Hundreds met the team at Stillwater International. So the team that went 1-8 in my freshman year opened 3-1 and with a break in Little Rock could have been 4-0. The following week OSU beat KU and Gale Sayers (refs gave the win to KU). Things cooled after that, but I was hooked for life and conditioned for a lot of heart break.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
My grandfather went to Oklahoma A&M and I spent lots of time with him. We would listen to O-State games on the radio while we were sowing wheat. What sealed it for me was going to the Big 8 baseball tournament most years and watching the Pokes kick everyone else.