Saddam Wanted Out, Bush Lied About It

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 3, 2004
OKC
OK, and we can look at what we were willing to do in the same way. Let Saddam go? Bush was willing to let a dictator go freely? Yes. Where are you going to draw the line there with your monetary morals? If I had to choose between letting someone take 1 Billion compared to invading the country causing thousands of civilian deaths and costing our own country a helluva lot more than that? You bet.
My monetary morals? Seems like you are the one with monetary morals...

Sep 19, 2005
Who cares if he took 1 billion dollars? The US has now spent $456 billion on the Iraq war and you're complaining about Saddam getting to keep $1 billion of his own money. Are you kidding me?

I do not wish to enter this debate, but merely to point out something.
According to the article quoted, it was more than just the $1 billion dollars.
In the opening post kaje quoted from an article:

thanks to a transcript leaked to the Spanish newspaper El Pais, we learn that more than three weeks prior to that Bush had told former Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar that “The Egyptians are speaking to Saddam Hussein. It seems he’s indicated he would be prepared to go into exile if he’s allowed to take $1 billion …”
but that ... at the end seems to be an important piece of information to include.

Here is the full paragraph from the article with the ... shown in bold:

"The Egyptians are speaking to Saddam Hussein. It seems he's indicated he would be prepared to go into exile if he's allowed to take $1 billion and all the information he wants about weapons of mass destruction," Bush was quoted as saying at the meeting one month before the U.S.-led invasion.

I just wanted the full quote available, so feel free to continue the civil discourse of the thread now :D

Epperley28

Federal Marshal
Nov 11, 2005
WOW, what do you have to say for yourself kaje? So who is lying now?
Based on track record, I'm going to say Bush is lying now. I don't know where he is. I don't know what he's talking about, but I'd bet he's telling at least a little white lie about something. :D

And leave Kaje alone, maybe "****ing moron" means "kissing moron", or "loveing moron", or "hugging moron". You don't know that he was putting anybody down. Shoot, you can call me a hugging moron any day!:D

Mar 3, 2004
OKC
Based on track record, I'm going to say Bush is lying now. I don't know where he is. I don't know what he's talking about, but I'd bet he's telling at least a little white lie about something. :D

And leave Kaje alone, maybe "****ing moron" means "kissing moron", or "loveing moron", or "hugging moron". You don't know that he was putting anybody down. Shoot, you can call me a hugging moron any day!:D
:mad:

You got me!:mad:

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
Bush mentioning WMDs. What else is new there? Have we found these so called WMDs? What would it matter if he did take WMD information with him? What is a dictator going to do with said plans if he is no longer the leader of a country? Would he send them to one of his middle eastern countries/friends? What prevented him from emailing or giving our said information when he was in power?

Mar 3, 2004
OKC
Bush mentioning WMDs. What else is new there? Have we found these so called WMDs? What would it matter if he did take WMD information with him? What is a dictator going to do with said plans if he is no longer the leader of a country? Would he send them to one of his middle eastern countries/friends? What prevented him from emailing or giving our said information when he was in power?
So why'd you leave it out?

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
...from a site that would. They fit the news to what they and their readers want to see.
I just brought up a point on why it wouldn't matter if he did take such information and now you all aren't trying to respond to that argument but yet bash the person who put the quote into that context. Maybe he left it out because as I said, it's irrelevant. I'm still waiting on someone to tell me what the big deal is about him taking it.

Sep 19, 2005
I didn't leave it out. That was copied and pasted.
Kaje,

I’m a little confused. The article you linked in you initial post, the one it seems you are quoting in your $1 billion… quote, contains the information about Saddam taking the WMD information with him.

Is that not the one that you copied and pasted your information from?

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
Kaje,

I’m a little confused. The article you linked in you initial post, the one it seems you are quoting in your $1 billion… quote, contains the information about Saddam taking the WMD information with him.

Is that not the one that you copied and pasted your information from?
The original post in this thread was copied and pasted. I didn't type anything in this thread until I said "Yes I do. Isn't that obvious?"

RoVerto Solo

Lifetime Ban
Banned
Feb 10, 2007
Here is the full paragraph from the article with the ... shown in bold:

"The Egyptians are speaking to Saddam Hussein. It seems he's indicated he would be prepared to go into exile if he's allowed to take $1 billion and all the information he wants about weapons of mass destruction," Bush was quoted as saying at the meeting one month before the U.S.-led invasion.
I guess I don't understand what he was planning to with all this information on weapons of mass destruction that he had accumulated or what the world expected him to do with it.

Pokefan

Territorial Marshal
Aug 3, 2004
Between Pryor and Adair on Beautiful Lake Hudson
How hard and complicated would it have been to let Saddam go into exile, then kill him later? A whole hell of a lot less complicated, expensive and bloody.

However, if we had done so, we would not have had a huge military presence in Iraq, nor would we have controlled who replaced Saddam. THAT was the crux of the issue. Not being able to dictate who runs Iraq and controls the oil resources of a post-Saddam Iraq.

OSU sig I'll define neocon idjit when you give a clear definition of liberal.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
How hard and complicated would it have been to let Saddam go into exile, then kill him later? A whole hell of a lot less complicated, expensive and bloody.

However, if we had done so, we would not have had a huge military presence in Iraq, nor would we have controlled who replaced Saddam. THAT was the crux of the issue. Not being able to dictate who runs Iraq and controls the oil resources of a post-Saddam Iraq.

OSU sig I'll define neocon idjit when you give a clear definition of liberal.
Same goes for Ahmadinejad. If he's so evil and is building nuclear weapons and we're not about to go to war with Iran for some other BS reason, then why the hell aren't we just taking him into custody while he's in freaking New York? We'd rather capture him on his own land and cause thousands of deaths and spend billions blowing crap up instead? Great logic!

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
OK, and we can look at what we were willing to do in the same way. Let Saddam go? Bush was willing to let a dictator go freely? Yes. Where are you going to draw the line there with your monetary morals? If I had to choose between letting someone take 1 Billion compared to invading the country causing thousands of civilian deaths and costing our own country a helluva lot more than that? You bet.
I think we should give every evil dictator and terrorist 1 Billion Dollars and a beach side resort where they can live happily ever after.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
What justification do you have if not for one of the things you were lied to about?! "Thank you Bush! May I have another?" You don't think it caused more terrorists? It doesn't matter what you think happened because it did happen. It's a fact that Iraq is now a breeding grounds for terrorists and that terrorism is increasingly more abundant there. Yet, you still don't want to believe it? AMAZING!
And I can't believe there are people out there that actually believe the President was able to intentinally and willfully alter intelligence, not only from the CIA, but from several other foreign agencies as well without anyone knowing about it. AMAZING!

Look I don't want to argue with you because it's pointless. You are entitled to your views, I believe they are wrong. It's that simple. You feel the same way about my views and obviously very strongly.