SCOTUS Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
somebody correct me if I’m wrong. The filibuster will not apply to this nomination so the VP can be the 51st vote and the GOP has no power to stop it?
It doesn’t matter. Biden will replace a liberal with another liberal so the structure doesn’t change. I’m curious if he will be able to get all of the dems on board depending on who is nominated.
What if JOE says no?

Mar 11, 2006
There have been 5 Supreme Court justices confirmed in the last 12 years. Sotomayer, Kagan, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett.

Quiz without googling: Anyone guess who is the ONLY US Senator that voted in the affirmative for confirmation for all 5 of these SC justices?

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
There have been 5 Supreme Court justices confirmed in the last 12 years. Sotomayer, Kagan, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett.

Quiz without googling: Anyone guess who is the ONLY US Senator that voted in the affirmative for confirmation for all 5 of these SC justices?
Yeah, I know.

It’s actually seven in a row including Alito and Roberts.

Collins came close, but she voted Nay on Barrett.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

Great question. When will the answer be revealed?

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I'll guarantee it's done before the midterms, as it should be - the Dems would be stupid to go past October. There are no doubt numerous black females in the Federal judiciary who are qualified and in the range between liberal enough and commie whacko to get confirmed. I had no problem with the Rs pushing their last 2 through and I'll have no problem with the Ds doing the same before midterms. A smart R senator would also vote for confirmation if the nominee is certain to have all the D votes - can then claim bipartisanship, support of females/minorities, etc. I think it would help him/her more than pandering to the base.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Obviously speaking of when they are in the minority. Democrats bring out hordes of "raped" women when they are in the minority party while republicans simply vote yes or no. I want to give the democrats a nice serving of their own evil this go around.
Biden today said he would nominate a black woman. Not sure GOP will do much to oppose her unless she has something super glaring in her past as it wouldn't be a great look to push too hard against a minority woman. He could check another box if she happens to be transgender, oh and best qualified of course.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Biden today said he would nominate a black woman. Not sure GOP will do much to oppose her unless she has something super glaring in her past as it wouldn't be a great look to push too hard against a minority woman. He could check another box if she happens to be transgender, oh and best qualified of course.
He’ll likely first publish some “official” list of candidates his minions are considering that includes the token white candidate to make it all appear legal and a legitimate consideration. I suspect the dems are also hoping the GOP drags this out to take the attention off of his abysmal performance with everything else.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
He’ll likely first publish some “official” list of candidates his minions are considering that includes the token white candidate to make it all appear legal and a legitimate consideration. I suspect the dems are also hoping the GOP drags this out to take the attention off of his abysmal performance with everything else.
Question for the board - does Biden saying he's going to only nominate a black woman violate any laws? I mean, hell, if I put my house on the market, I can't say "I'm only selling to a white male".

Mar 11, 2006
Question for the board - does Biden saying he's going to only nominate a black woman violate any laws? I mean, hell, if I put my house on the market, I can't say "I'm only selling to a white male".
I have no idea about laws ...but, I think what he is outwardly stating is 1) not a good precedent; 2) not Presidential; 3) but most importantly, patently unfair to whoever gets the nomination.

There are certainly a lot of well-qualified minority women for the open Supreme Court justice position. Biden's statements have the potential to place less emphasis on the nominees qualifications and more on her race and gender.

I understand and appreciate Biden's desire to place a minority female in the position, but I think he would have served the nominee better by not stating the nominee must be a minority female.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I have no idea about laws ...but, I think what he is outwardly stating is 1) not a good precedent; 2) not Presidential; 3) but most importantly, patently unfair to whoever gets the nomination.

There are certainly a lot of well-qualified minority women for the open Supreme Court justice position. Biden's statements have the potential to place less emphasis on the nominees qualifications and more on her race and gender.

I understand and appreciate Biden's desire to place a minority female in the position, but I think he would have served the nominee better by not stating the nominee must be a minority female.
I understand your point but sometimes as a first you have to say what you are going to do and do it. After you get over that first hump you don't make such a big deal about it. Unless you are doing cross-fit or pressure cooking, then you are required by law to discuss it all the time.

There are a lot of well-qualified minority women, like you said, hopefully the one he appoints is a great justice.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Obviously speaking of when they are in the minority. Democrats bring out hordes of "raped" women when they are in the minority party while republicans simply vote yes or no. I want to give the democrats a nice serving of their own evil this go around.
Yes..."obviously speaking" of when the are in the minority. :blink::derp: