SCOTUS rules POTUS can be subpoenaed by criminal courts, including tax info, rules Congress can not get Tax Return without better argument for need

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
In this ruling all 9 Justices ruled that the POTUS is not immune to Subpoenas

Both were 7-2 decisions...Alito and Thomas dissented on both cases.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/09/supreme-court-trump-tax-records.html

Both cases were decided 7-2, with Chief Justice John Roberts authoring the court’s opinion and joined in the majority by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch. Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito dissented in both cases.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Both were 7-2 decisions...Alito and Thomas dissented on both cases.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/09/supreme-court-trump-tax-records.html

Both cases were decided 7-2, with Chief Justice John Roberts authoring the court’s opinion and joined in the majority by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch. Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito dissented in both cases.
Even those Dissenting agreed the POTUS wasn't above criminal subpoena

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
We were told by the left that Trump was appointing his cronies to the court who would allow him to do anything and get away with it. Looks like that's the 5,327th thing they were wrong about with Trump (that's an estimation).

And ruling the lawmakers can't get it is pretty silly, we all know it's going to be leaked within a few weeks of the NY DA getting their hands on it...at least if there's anything damaging in it.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
We were told by the left that Trump was appointing his cronies to the court who would allow him to do anything and get away with it. Looks like that's the 5,327th thing they were wrong about with Trump (that's an estimation).

And ruling the lawmakers can't get it is pretty silly, we all know it's going to be leaked within a few weeks of the NY DA getting their hands on it...at least if there's anything damaging in it.
We were told by Trump that he would release his tax returns after the election. But that never happened?

Then his lawyer got convicted of tax and financial crimes with money affiliated to his campaign. Also a Trump charity got shut down due to illegal activity. So with those crimes in mind NY decided they needed to review the tax returns.

Now getting the tax returns is a "political witch hunt". At least now he does get to release them though like he said he wanted to but couldn't because he was "under audit".

My gut tells me he is hiding them for the most noble of reasons.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com

We were told by Trump that he would release his tax returns after the election. But that never happened?

Then his lawyer got convicted of tax and financial crimes with money affiliated to his campaign. Also a Trump charity got shut down due to illegal activity. So with those crimes in mind NY decided they needed to review the tax returns.

Now getting the tax returns is a "political witch hunt". At least now he does get to release them though like he said he wanted to but couldn't because he was "under audit".

My gut tells me he is hiding them for the most noble of reasons.
IRS has audited him multiple times. Guess you don't trust the IRS now? Thought they were your boys when they were targeting conservatives but I guess after the russian witch hunt fell flat you people need something else

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
IRS has audited him multiple times. Guess you don't trust the IRS now? Thought they were your boys when they were targeting conservatives but I guess after the russian witch hunt fell flat you people need something else

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Exactly, If there was something there, you have to think the Obama administration would've unleashed the IRS on him. After all, they unleashed the FBI on him without a seconds thought. If the US government had a kraken, the Obama administration would've unleashed that on Trump as well....no holds barred.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
i still don’t understand why he refuses to release his taxes.what is his reasoning??
My guess is two parts. 1) He's not worth near what he claims he is and doesn't want to hurt his ego and/or 2) Anyone that would actually consider voting for him doesn't give a damn about his taxes right now and is sick of hearing about it so why air it out?... The only people not letting this go are people that wouldn't ever vote for him in the first place...

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
i still don’t understand why he refuses to release his taxes.what is his reasoning??
I imagine the main reason he's refusing is because his opponents want him to and he likes being difficult....pretty much how he operates.

I also bet he knows that the media will spin his taxes negatively, whether they actually are or not...why give them the ammo they are going to target you with.

If it was me I wouldn't release them because it's not required. If you want every presidential candidate to show their taxes, then write a letter to your representative and tell them to make that the law.

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
If it was me I wouldn't release them because it's not required. If you want every presidential candidate to show their taxes, then write a letter to your representative and tell them to make that the law.
Plus there's not a single person in this country that's thinking "Jee golley, if only I knew Trumps tax info I could decide if I want to vote for him or not..."

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
My guess is two parts. 1) He's not worth near what he claims he is and doesn't want to hurt his ego and/or 2) Anyone that would actually consider voting for him doesn't give a damn about his taxes right now and is sick of hearing about it so why air it out?... The only people not letting this go are people that wouldn't ever vote for him in the first place...
At first I thought it was your initial reasoning. I would have bet money that he's worth something like $950 million when running and his ego couldn't take it if people found out that he wasn't a real deal billionaire.

After seeing more about his foreign investments though I wonder if he is worried about people digging into his finances and finding something more damaging. I don't necessarily think he's done anything another real estate mogul investing globally wouldn't have done, but anything shady with the type of scrutiny he will face when his finances are available for public viewing will be a problem.