SCOTUS to overturn Roe v Wade

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Who’s ready for some court packing? I hope I’m wrong. At the least, midterms are gonna be interesting.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
How did this opinion get leaked? Some staffer is going to having their last day on the job soon.
Yeah, but it's also not close to official. Draft opinions can go through anything from minor revisions to complete overhauls. It's still entirely possible that this is a more narrow ruling.

Nov 18, 2011
Yeah, but it's also not close to official. Draft opinions can go through anything from minor revisions to complete overhauls. It's still entirely possible that this is a more narrow ruling.
Well that was the point of the leak, wasn’t it? A last ditch desperation attempt to intimidate and change course. I’d imagine the conservative justices are appalled and will be even more firm in their opinion.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
I am not sure why it matters if it was a draft or not. Or whether is was a narrow opinion or not. Leaks shouldn’t occur.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Random thoughts:
1. I'm surprised they would overturn such a long standing precedent. I'll be interested to read the reasoning, assuming this actually happens.
2. Democrats can only pack the Supreme Court if they overturned the filibuster rule. Manchin voted against legislation that would've codified Roe v Wade into law. So the odds of him voting to overturn the filibuster over this probably aren't very high.
3. This should make the midterms really interesting. Everyone has been predicting that Democrats will lose ground, but this will energize their base to get out and vote. They could potentially end the filibuster if they gained ground in the Senate.
4. Could someone go to prison for illegally leaking information this sensitive?

Oct 7, 2008
I seriously can't imagine this is a very popular decision for Republicans. Sure it solidifies their dedication to the hard right. But for the majority of Americans it just seems like political suicide.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I never thought I would see the day where a representative would be arguing for causing women to die for a fetus to get to live it's very brief and completely insentient "life" but here it is right in our state.

Nov 23, 2010
The state races will be crazy!
Michigan still has a ban on the books and the governor and AG are both up this year. Current Democratic incumbents have said they won't enforce (and Whitmer has said it should be repealed). Legislature is currently Republican so a repeal prior to midterms isn't on the table. Pretty high stakes on this issue there.