Shaka Smart to Marquette

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Because it kept them from having to spend the money on a buyout to fire him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
That assumes UT was set on firing him this year and had communicated that. That's possible, but seems far from a certainty.
That’s the thesis, we’re connecting dots. Realistically, Not a lot of ppl willingly leave the Texas athletic program, especially for Marquette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
That’s the thesis, we’re connecting dots. Realistically, Not a lot of ppl willingly leave the Texas athletic program, especially for Marquette.

Tough to know since we don't know Shaka's conversation with the Texas AD. Maybe he was told he had one more year and the threshold for not getting fired was high? Like final four high. It's one of many plausible scenarios that could make him move back to the mid majors voluntarily. My main point is without knowing that, it's tough to say that Texas is fine leaving his buyout money on the table.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Tough to know since we don't know Shaka's conversation with the Texas AD. Maybe he was told he had one more year and the threshold for not getting fired was high? Like final four high. It's one of many plausible scenarios that could make him move back to the mid majors voluntarily. My main point is without knowing that, it's tough to say that Texas is fine leaving his buyout money on the table.
Rumor on the internet last night even before Shakas move was that Texas was talking to Calipari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I think this shows the importance of locking in Boynton. Not saying a 10-year deal, but he’s earned a contract. Plus, I’m a fan and I’d be disappointed if he left us for UT or some other desperate blue blood.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I think this shows the importance of locking in Boynton. Not saying a 10-year deal, but he’s earned a contract. Plus, I’m a fan and I’d be disappointed if he left us for UT or some other desperate blue blood.
On one hand I totally agree with the importance of a LT contract. On the other I think we’ve all learned by now that a contract doesn’t help the fans, just the Athletic Department. If another school wants the coach, they’ll get the coach.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Because I’d bet Marquette isn’t poaching Shaka, they were going to fire him and Shaka arranged this to save face. If Marquette was going to have to pay a buy out they’d just say no and then Texas would be stuck with Shaka who they don’t want.

Why would Texas fire him? They just won the Big 12 Tourney! I know they’re disappointed in losing in Round 1 but that tourney win was worth it to them I bet. They weren’t going very far in the NCAA Tourney anyway.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Because I’d bet Marquette isn’t poaching Shaka, they were going to fire him and Shaka arranged this to save face. If Marquette was going to have to pay a buy out they’d just say no and then Texas would be stuck with Shaka who they don’t want.

Why would Texas fire him? They just won the Big 12 Tourney! I know they’re disappointed in losing in Round 1 but that tourney win was worth it to them I bet. They weren’t going very far in the NCAA Tourney anyway.
They’re disappointed is just about everything that’s happened since hiring him. They’re very happy he found a landing spot and they didn’t have to fire him. It was a bad fit and never really worked. They’d have fired him next year.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
IMHO if texas is not mentioned as a program of relevance (top 10) in any sport, or they get embarrassed on a national stage, their coach is gone, period, end of story. Despite the conference results, Shaka fai;Ed to provide the former and clearly provided the latter.

Last edited:

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Rumor on the internet last night even before Shakas move was that Texas was talking to Calipari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rumor from Texas fans? Just like they are on the verge of hiring Saban every time they fire a football coach. Let me guess, Calipari's wife has been looking at houses in Austin?

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Also quoting the internet here, but:

Shaka Smart salary at UT: $3.2M
John Calipari salary at UK: $9.3M

Now I know UT has cattle on a hundred hills (so, not as much money as God, but close). But is there really enough motivation in the Texas AD/booster orbit to go 5x the basketball coach's salary? Why now? Why would Calipari leave UK?

I don't think Calipari is going to Texas.

Sep 23, 2010
Going to be interesting to see what direction these coaching searches go. Indiana certainly didn't get their desired candidates. Texas does feel like a really good job. Will be interesting to see if Beard goes there. His buyout goes down to 4Million after April 1st from Tech so they could be waiting on that.

As for OU, I have no idea which direction that goes. Joe C usually does a good job hiring. Last time, Krueger came out of nowhere. Does he have another veteran coach out there he can lure in or does he take a chance on a young guy?

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Could you imagine Kelvin Sampson going to Texas? That would provide some storylines. He's a good coach, so I don't want to see that happen.

I hope he just stays in Houston and make them a good mid-major team along the lines of Gonzaga, Creighton, or Memphis.