Southern Baptist Convention Sexual Misconduct Report shows SBC mishandled or ignored claims last year

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
A video of a pastor admitting "adultery" to the flock then the woman coming forward and saying that she was only 16 and this wasn't adultery. And yet, after a few questions, she scurries off while the members go up to pray with him.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
A video of a pastor admitting "adultery" to the flock then the woman coming forward and saying that she was only 16 and this wasn't adultery. And yet, after a few questions, she scurries off while the members go up to pray with him.

Two feelings. That's awful and that seems rare that they got to talk like that. Knowing multiple other victims, they've all just been shunned. The scene is still too familiar and makes me sick to my stomach.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Two feelings. That's awful and that seems rare that they got to talk like that. Knowing multiple other victims, they've all just been shunned. The scene is still too familiar and makes me sick to my stomach.
How easy it is to confess the wrongs in others and how difficult to confess our own wrong doing. The Bible is clear about this: "All have sinned and come short to the glory of God". That it true for me....

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
How easy it is to confess the wrongs in others and how difficult to confess our own wrong doing. The Bible is clear about this: "All have sinned and come short to the glory of God". That it true for me....
Really? That's your reaction to this? Good on him for actually admitting it, but he'll serve no jail time, he already had people shouting "We love you pastor", and he had a massive group of people embracing him and praying for him at the end, while his victim was still there watching the whole thing. He abused a 16 year old and swept it under the rug until a witness confronted him with it. I can recognize my own faults and still see that this, on the whole, was disgusting. They are not mutually exclusive. The selective application of that idea is what allows abuse to continue, as very clearly outlined by the Guidepost report.

Apr 14, 2009
The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is a Christian denomination based in the United States. It is the world's largest Baptist denomination, and the largest Protestant and second-largest Christian denomination in the United States.[2][3] The word Southern in "Southern Baptist Convention" stems from its having been organized in 1845 in Augusta, Georgia, by Baptists in the Southern United States who split from the northern Baptists (known today as the American Baptist Churches USA) over the issue of African-American enslavement; citing biblical texts, the SBC was strongly opposed to its abolition.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Well, by the definitions of your religion I am certainly a sinner. But, I am also certain that nothing I would ever have to confess to about my life is anywhere near the level of ongoing rape of a young girl from a position of authority. Brushing that level of depravity in with "all have sinned" seems to me a big part of why this is an issue within organized religion. Nowhere else in the non-criminal world are these perpetrators so protected.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Well, by the definitions of your religion I am certainly a sinner. But, I am also certain that nothing I would ever have to confess to about my life is anywhere near the level of ongoing rape of a young girl from a position of authority. Brushing that level of depravity in with "all have sinned" seems to me a big part of why this is an issue within organized religion. Nowhere else in the non-criminal world are these perpetrators so protected.

lol. Politics called.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is a Christian denomination based in the United States. It is the world's largest Baptist denomination, and the largest Protestant and second-largest Christian denomination in the United States.[2][3] The word Southern in "Southern Baptist Convention" stems from its having been organized in 1845 in Augusta, Georgia, by Baptists in the Southern United States who split from the northern Baptists (known today as the American Baptist Churches USA) over the issue of African-American enslavement; citing biblical texts, the SBC was strongly opposed to its abolition.
As a marketer, I expect a rebrand in the near future.

As a former Southern Baptist, I don’t expect them to accept true accountability for what they allowed to happen

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Are by your own definition a sinner...?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
@gogetumpoke

I wouldn't be surprised if I got a laugh at your sincere thoughts on religion if you shared them. But I have more respect for others than to post a laugh at their beliefs. You know, the kind of respect that most religions teach and followers tend to ignore.
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 9.56.36 PM.png

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
This is a bunch of sanctimonious bs.

I grew up Southern Baptist and conversation to Catholicism when I got married to a Catholic. My faith journey has been a little odd but I'm glad I'm where I am now and am greatful to God for giving me this path. The abuse scandal in the Catholic church is awful and I sincerely hope any Priest who violated children is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Several years ago there was a Priest in my diocese who was from India and did something with a girl. I don't know what but it was enough that there was an investigation. Instead of facing justice he was deported. I call bs on that. We've all sinned and we can ask for forgiveness but the victims of our sins deserve justice. What my diocese did was wrong and I'll gladly admit that. It doesn't change my views on my faith or my faith with my Priest to do act as an employee of Christ. He who lives in a glass castle should cast the first stone though. This was sickening and its common with the SBC. I am not going to say anything against that church here but trust me I can spill the tea. I've been to Falls Creek several times and this story doesn't surprise me from what I know.

Faith is a good thing. Faith in your religious leader is just as important. I can't imagine my Priest doing anything like this and it would be a blow to my soul if he was implicated in something like this. But to see this video and give insta forgiveness when we are talking about a child being violated? That makes me sick. And to blown it off by saying heck it happens because we all do stuff like this? I think you should reflect on what went on and pray about it. It's ok to say I love Christ and my Church but there are bad apples who need to be pruned and that is fine. I love being a practicing Catholic. I'm a far better Catholic than I was a Southern Baptist but there is no way that would mean I condone the actions of a Priest who violates a child. Your response makes me think you feel differently. I see you as pretty reasonable but overly guided by religious and political influences and my advise is to look at how you really feel and try and work on that.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I have been Southern Baptist since nine months before I was born and I can see this breaks just about everything I have ever been taught and believe. A leader in a church should be held to a higher standard. This is wrong on so many levels there is no excuse for this kind of behavior. Supporting a pedophile is just wrong.