Stadium Renovations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
Coach Gundy brought up wanting to continue to improve our stadium yesterday so I was curious what everyone thought we could do to improve BPS. I know he has expressed a need for a new student academic center and field. What do you think we need?

I've always wondered if it is architecturally possible to close the gap between GIA and BPS in the east endzone. That would probably add 5-6k seats and I think closing out the bowl into GIA would look really cool in addition to leaving the sound no place to escape.

Also, while I'm thinking crazy and expensive, lets add some Dallas Cowboy style field level suites in the east end zone :)

Aug 2, 2011
Coach Gundy brought up wanting to continue to improve our stadium yesterday so I was curious what everyone thought we could do to improve BPS. I know he has expressed a need for a new student academic center and field. What do you think we need?

I've always wondered if it is architecturally possible to close the gap between GIA and BPS in the east endzone. That would probably add 5-6k seats and I think closing out the bowl into GIA would look really cool in addition to leaving the sound no place to escape.

Also, while I'm thinking crazy and expensive, lets add some Dallas Cowboy style field level suites in the east end zone :)
That would be cool to close the gap...
But it may me cost prohibitive if it only adds a couple thousand seats

Maybe if it was more premium seating like club seating it would be more feasible

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX

No thanks. All reports predict a substantial decrease in TV revenue upon the expiration of the current TV rights. We should be in budget tightening mode, not throwing money at athletic programs that already enjoy top of the line athletic facilities.

Mar 8, 2010
Remodel GIA to provide inside seating to see the game and put the giant scoreboard on top of the building and then close in the gaps to make a bowl?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
1638290193839.png

This is from several years ago when talk was of an upper deck. Not even saying I like it, just that it's interesting to discuss.

btw, I agree the field turf needs replaced. Looks a bit faded and worn in a few places...not major but it does need replaced I think before too long.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
No thanks. All reports predict a substantial decrease in TV revenue upon the expiration of the current TV rights. We should be in budget tightening mode, not throwing money at athletic programs that already enjoy top of the line athletic facilities.
Increasing our fan footprint is exactly what we should be doing...the best way to do that is what we are doing on Saturday...Winning Championships! Go Pokes! Beat Baylor!!

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I don’t believe there will be a substantial decrease. It will be a lot less than what it would have been otherwise, but we might even see a little increase.

Plus that is only part of what we make from the conference. The rest of the payout should increase just from natural increases in NCAA and postseason revenues.

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
This our opportunity to get out of big brother's shadow and stand on our two feet as a football power. It's not the time to get scared and hide

Nov 18, 2010
We need to start selling out the stadium consistently first. It doesn't make a lot of sense to build seats that aren't going to get filled. Maybe we sell out for a year, if we get into the CFP this year, but the fact remains, Stillwater is an hour drive from the two main cities in Oklahoma, where most OSU alumni work and live.

I'd think we need a combination of OSU making the CFP once or twice and OU going into an extended decline. Then maybe, OSU starts to attract more non-alumni fans from smaller towns. But that could take 5-10+ years of OSU being up and OU being down.

I don't think this is a 'build it and they will come' scenario, because of our geography and the very long history of non-alumni fans being raised as OU fans.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Repaint the stadium concrete.
Treat and paint over all the rust.
Reinforce areas where stress cracks in the concrete have shown weak points in the design.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Remodel GIA to provide inside seating to see the game and put the giant scoreboard on top of the building and then close in the gaps to make a bowl?
On top of gia would be a horrible idea in Oklahoma winds. And there is inside seating in gia above the Tron.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012

As an architect, yes, I can tell you it would be possible but would not be as neat and clean as one might imagine in their head.

However, I like it open. Keeps BPS as BPS and GIA as GIA while still overlapping the spaces as needed. If the stadium were to close up, GIA would have no exterior identity which I think would be missed.

You can have the field level suites too. Friends have access to the Frost Bank suite at AT&T which is down on the field. Been to two games with them and they are HORRIBLE seats unless you want to look at photographers' arsks all during the event. Cheerleaders were there for a while....which was nice, but even they left after a while and all you see are credentialed press people with a game somewhere through the bodies. Upper seats (out of courtesy people rotate through the different types of seats in the suite) you could see action over the top of them but not if the play was at the opposite end or the near sideline.

Nov 18, 2010
OSU has a great example of building bigger, not necessarily being better. The old GIA had an absolutely insane atmosphere. Tickets were notoriously hard to come by and I probably have a little bit of hearing damage from some of those games back in the day.

The new GIA is nice, but look at the atmosphere now. The architecture isn't fully at blame here, since we've struggled to win for 10+ years, but it does prove you should carefully consider the pros and cons of adding seats to your arena/stadium.

Even at a traditional powerhouse program like OSU basketball, you may not recoup the money you spend and it doesn't guarantee a better experience.

How long have they been saying 'bring the rowdy back' at GIA?

Nov 18, 2010
All that said, I'm sure there are places on the interior, or players' areas, that will need a 'modern update' sooner or later. (I've never been inside, so I don't know.) But as a rule, every 5-10 years, important interior areas of a 'cutting edge' facility probably need an update to look 'current'. (Again, never been inside. Everything may still look brand new.)

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
If it doesn't include the cowboy hat shaped dome, it really isn't worth doing.
Dome is the only thing to do IMO.

The biggest thing we need to do is focus on in game experience. The game needs to be a production that people want to drive an hour to. I'm not sure how many people on here have been to an Dallas Cowboys game, but those guys know how to create an atmosphere. I'm sure this weekend will be many fans first experience there. We should do everything to emulate that.

Dome solves 3 things: 1) Creates a unique and sellable perk, 2) increases the noise level, 3) improves in game experience.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
OSU has a great example of building bigger, not necessarily being better. The old GIA had an absolutely insane atmosphere. Tickets were notoriously hard to come by and I probably have a little bit of hearing damage from some of those games back in the day.

The new GIA is nice, but look at the atmosphere now. The architecture isn't fully at blame here, since we've struggled to win for 10+ years, but it does prove you should carefully consider the pros and cons of adding seats to your arena/stadium.

Even at a traditional powerhouse program like OSU basketball, you may not recoup the money you spend and it doesn't guarantee a better experience.

How long have they been saying 'bring the rowdy back' at GIA?
In case you haven’t noticed, during games against better teams, the rowdy is back.

Aug 16, 2012
Dome is the only thing to do IMO.

The biggest thing we need to do is focus on in game experience. The game needs to be a production that people want to drive an hour to. I'm not sure how many people on here have been to an Dallas Cowboys game, but those guys know how to create an atmosphere. I'm sure this weekend will be many fans first experience there. We should do everything to emulate that.

Dome solves 3 things: 1) Creates a unique and sellable perk, 2) increases the noise level, 3) improves in game experience.
Hey, maybe with a dome we could host a bowl game.

The Eskimo Joe's Cheese Fry Bowl

Jan 2, 2005
View attachment 93531
This is from several years ago when talk was of an upper deck. Not even saying I like it, just that it's interesting to discuss.

btw, I agree the field turf needs replaced. Looks a bit faded and worn in a few places...not major but it does need replaced I think before too long.
My recollection from when they were rebuilding the south side is that they did (or were going to) add supports at key areas across the side to support a deck that could be added later. Not sure how that would impact the pressbox.