Stadium Renovations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
As an architect, yes, I can tell you it would be possible but would not be as neat and clean as one might imagine in their head.

However, I like it open. Keeps BPS as BPS and GIA as GIA while still overlapping the spaces as needed. If the stadium were to close up, GIA would have no exterior identity which I think would be missed.

You can have the field level suites too. Friends have access to the Frost Bank suite at AT&T which is down on the field. Been to two games with them and they are HORRIBLE seats unless you want to look at photographers' arsks all during the event. Cheerleaders were there for a while....which was nice, but even they left after a while and all you see are credentialed press people with a game somewhere through the bodies. Upper seats (out of courtesy people rotate through the different types of seats in the suite) you could see action over the top of them but not if the play was at the opposite end or the near sideline.
Gotta experience the ones on the end zone and 5 yard line. Dez almost ran into ours with the ball.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
As an architect, yes, I can tell you it would be possible but would not be as neat and clean as one might imagine in their head.

However, I like it open. Keeps BPS as BPS and GIA as GIA while still overlapping the spaces as needed. If the stadium were to close up, GIA would have no exterior identity which I think would be missed.

You can have the field level suites too. Friends have access to the Frost Bank suite at AT&T which is down on the field. Been to two games with them and they are HORRIBLE seats unless you want to look at photographers' arsks all during the event. Cheerleaders were there for a while....which was nice, but even they left after a while and all you see are credentialed press people with a game somewhere through the bodies. Upper seats (out of courtesy people rotate through the different types of seats in the suite) you could see action over the top of them but not if the play was at the opposite end or the near sideline.
Agree on the field level suites. All you do is stare at the bench or cheerleaders. However with BPS sideline being so close, I'd think we would have to cut out the first couple rows and it could be a better experience than AT&T. But you sacrifice a lot of the "close to the action" fan noise. Definitely don't think we should do a field level suite setup.

I'd be curious about your thoughts as an architect on the concept of doming the stadium. I get your point around the "bowling" of the stadium not really matching up well, and I can agree with that. I would envision a dome or enclosure that doesn't add any seating capacity.

Sep 6, 2011
Doming the stadium would first and foremost be very expensive for not much tangible return. That's a lot of structure in the air that has to be supported, so either your creating a whole new exterior stadium façade to enclose all the new structure, or you're looking at an insane amount retrofit (if it could even be done) to incorporate the new structure into the existing. Do you just want a roof over the existing stadium, or do you want a truly dome-like experience where the main stadium area is a conditioned space? If you want it conditioned, then may as well price in another Physical Plant facility just to provide the cooling and heating horsepower that would be needed (not to mention the increase in operating cost). Either way, you're likely looking in the hundreds of millions.

Aug 16, 2012
Agree on the field level suites. All you do is stare at the bench or cheerleaders. However with BPS sideline being so close, I'd think we would have to cut out the first couple rows and it could be a better experience than AT&T. But you sacrifice a lot of the "close to the action" fan noise. Definitely don't think we should do a field level suite setup.

I'd be curious about your thoughts as an architect on the concept of doming the stadium. I get your point around the "bowling" of the stadium not really matching up well, and I can agree with that. I would envision a dome or enclosure that doesn't add any seating capacity.
Coincidentally,

In 1997/98, the City of Denver and the Broncos were in negotiations regarding the replacement of Mile High Stadium. At the time, I worked for a firm called Ohlson/Lavoie whose principal, Stuart Ohlson was the guy who spearheaded the effort to dome (linear retractable) Mile High instead of building the new stadium. While not one of the "face people" of the team, I worked for weeks on the proposal and attended every meeting. The cost came in at less than 50% of the new stadium but obviously was not selected.

Doming it is completely possible with the advances in long-span structures (ATT is supported by just the two enormous trusses that run the length of the building). The support towers could be constructed completely separate from the stadium itself and outside the seating areas so there would be no obstructed views and could cover the field and stadium in a variety of ways but if an environmentally conditioned interior is wanted, the bowl would have to be completed in some fashion.

IMO, the 1-2 games every other year or so that it would be needed could never justify the cost. Even if there were plans for a whole host of alternative uses of the stadium, the ROI would be decades away.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
This our opportunity to get out of big brother's shadow and stand on our two feet as a football power. It's not the time to get scared and hide
Not sure where you got the "scared and hide" interpretation from my comment on being fiscally responsible concerning our upcoming loss in TV income?
Also not sure what you're talking about concerning getting out of big brother's shadow? Not sure where you've been, but we've been out of their shadow for a long time. Sounds like you're the one that's scared.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
I don’t believe there will be a substantial decrease. It will be a lot less than what it would have been otherwise, but we might even see a little increase.

Plus that is only part of what we make from the conference. The rest of the payout should increase just from natural increases in NCAA and postseason revenues.

Hope you're correct, but everything I read this past summer/fall was projecting a drop in TV income from the $40 million range to best case $25 million range. Never saw any talk of an increase in TV revenue minus the Gooners and UT.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Hope you're correct, but everything I read this past summer/fall was projecting a drop in TV income from the $40 million range to best case $25 million range. Never saw any talk of an increase in TV revenue minus the Gooners and UT.
Well, that isn’t correct, since the current TV income is closer to $25 million than $40 million. Actually, I think it is currently $28 million.

Also, as I said, it would be higher with those two. No doubt. However, the last deal is from approximately ten years ago. The games are just worth more now on average. So TV revenue may be a little lower than current, but it won’t be much.

Although again, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a little more. Depending on total inventory (number of games available).

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Coincidentally,

In 1997/98, the City of Denver and the Broncos were in negotiations regarding the replacement of Mile High Stadium. At the time, I worked for a firm called Ohlson/Lavoie whose principal, Stuart Ohlson was the guy who spearheaded the effort to dome (linear retractable) Mile High instead of building the new stadium. While not one of the "face people" of the team, I worked for weeks on the proposal and attended every meeting. The cost came in at less than 50% of the new stadium but obviously was not selected.

Doming it is completely possible with the advances in long-span structures (ATT is supported by just the two enormous trusses that run the length of the building). The support towers could be constructed completely separate from the stadium itself and outside the seating areas so there would be no obstructed views and could cover the field and stadium in a variety of ways but if an environmentally conditioned interior is wanted, the bowl would have to be completed in some fashion.

IMO, the 1-2 games every other year or so that it would be needed could never justify the cost. Even if there were plans for a whole host of alternative uses of the stadium, the ROI would be decades away.
Thanks for the response. The HVAC I agree would be the complication, the structure of just a dome is definitely possible on the cheap comparably. I'm an engineer by trade, so I understand the structural components. But I also work in the accounting space now by happenstance, and am curious about the ROI. Typically aren't structures looked at by 30 year time horizons? At least they are when it comes to depreciation.

But if I think about the benefits of a climate controlled structure would span more than 1-2 games a year. Both cold and hot weather is something we uniquely experience in Oklahoma.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, but
1. Mens restroom situation
2. Concessions take too long...need more mobile vendors
3. The band needs to be put back where it was or microphones added...Can not hear the band on the north side. Anyone ever notice after we score the south side is doing the fight song...north side sitting on hands?
4. We don't need to add more seats until there is a wait list for tickets..then we can add more..keep winning and it will happen.

Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the response. The HVAC I agree would be the complication, the structure of just a dome is definitely possible on the cheap comparably. I'm an engineer by trade, so I understand the structural components. But I also work in the accounting space now by happenstance, and am curious about the ROI. Typically aren't structures looked at by 30 year time horizons? At least they are when it comes to depreciation.

But if I think about the benefits of a climate controlled structure would span more than 1-2 games a year. Both cold and hot weather is something we uniquely experience in Oklahoma.
The work I do primarily now we go with 35 years so with your benchmark, it looks like that range is somewhat typical.

JMO, I personally like the open air experience. Yeah, sometimes it may get uncomfortable or even unbearable on either end of the thermometer, but most of the time for football the weather seems to reasonably work out. And hey, we would not have any Ice Bowl stories to tell for the rest of our lives if all the games are indoors, right?

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
The club level needs more damn bathrooms. The south side has 3 urinals on each end for all the men up there. That is ridiculous. The men's line is usually longer than the women's.
Seems there are bathrooms up in the Suite level you can use, but when I sat in the Club level for five year I don’t remember long lines for the men’s room. There were long lines for women’s bathrooms.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I don’t believe there will be a substantial decrease. It will be a lot less than what it would have been otherwise, but we might even see a little increase.

Plus that is only part of what we make from the conference. The rest of the payout should increase just from natural increases in NCAA and postseason revenues.

All of that was if we didn't add any teams or increase our brand.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, but
1. Mens restroom situation
2. Concessions take too long...need more mobile vendors
3. The band needs to be put back where it was or microphones added...Can not hear the band on the north side. Anyone ever notice after we score the south side is doing the fight song...north side sitting on hands?
4. We don't need to add more seats until there is a wait list for tickets..then we can add more..keep winning and it will happen.
Definitely agree with band thing. That corner sucks up the sound.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Now as far as the stadium, I agree with you, we are in great shape. I went to ISU and Boise this year and the concession situation at both those stadiums was horrible. Now, having said that, I think that is the area where we can continue to improve. If we're going to sell beer, then open up more booths, that is a money machine. I stood in line for way too long at the TCU game. I might have bought a second round had it not been so much of a time commitment. Might also convert a couple of the womens restrooms to mens. I get and like the idea of having more for the ladies, but I think we may have overdone the ration a tad.
THIS. Look, it's 2021 so I'm used to paying $10 for a beer whenever I go to an event. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. At Art Basel in Miami they're actually selling $20 drinks at concession stands. I thought the $6-8 at BPS was a bargain, and Stilly Wheat is a good beer. BPS beer prices are comparable to going out for a night, so not bad.

They need to SCALE THAT UP and bring that revenue home for the school. I flew in for the Tulsa game and I think there were 2-3 beer lines max on the upper north concourse. They need to double that. The line took 30 minutes. Service was incredibly slow and not great, but definitely better at the one that felt volunteer-ran than the one operated by concession staff (Sodexxo?). They are not mixing drinks, so honestly, handing a beer over should be even easier than pouring a fountain drink.

They could make a lot off of concessions if they did it right.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
It's actually more than fine, but I get and totally agree with your point. Also to your point, it's tough to justify expanding the number of seats when not only is it that empty in the 4Q of many games, there are still quite a lot of empty seats when the game begins. When that changes for the better and becomes consistently full, creating demand for tickets, then perhaps we can discuss the merits of expansion. Aside from that, maybe:

New turf
A play clock in the NE corner of the EZ
Re-evaluate WiFi Network
New turf? Huh, I like it. With the script Cowboys across the field? Done. I’m in.:runaway:

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
A grass turf with the script Cowboys would be an instant classic.

I may be a simpleton, but I like the current turf design. Always liked the orange and black end zone. It's infinitely better than the tacky orange and white STATE that I always hated. Just reminds me of Les and Gundy's over-gelled spiky pre-mullet hair.

Nov 6, 2010
THIS. Look, it's 2021 so I'm used to paying $10 for a beer whenever I go to an event. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. At Art Basel in Miami they're actually selling $20 drinks at concession stands. I thought the $6-8 at BPS was a bargain, and Stilly Wheat is a good beer. BPS beer prices are comparable to going out for a night, so not bad.

They need to SCALE THAT UP and bring that revenue home for the school. I flew in for the Tulsa game and I think there were 2-3 beer lines max on the upper north concourse. They need to double that. The line took 30 minutes. Service was incredibly slow and not great, but definitely better at the one that felt volunteer-ran than the one operated by concession staff (Sodexxo?). They are not mixing drinks, so honestly, handing a beer over should be even easier than pouring a fountain drink.

They could make a lot off of concessions if they did it right.
And to add to this line of thought, why are there two separate lines? You have to choose between standing in line for a pretzel and standing in line for a beer if you don't want to miss most of the 3rd quarter. I'm sure it may have something to do with the regular concession staff being too young to sell beer, but making beer available in the general concession booths would seem to be an obvious move.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
Well, that isn’t correct, since the current TV income is closer to $25 million than $40 million. Actually, I think it is currently $28 million.

Also, as I said, it would be higher with those two. No doubt. However, the last deal is from approximately ten years ago. The games are just worth more now on average. So TV revenue may be a little lower than current, but it won’t be much.

Although again, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a little more. Depending on total inventory (number of games available).
The overriding reason OU and Texas bolted from the conference was due to a Big 12 consultant reaching out to Fox and ESPN to receive an estimate of the 2025 TV rights renewal amount. Reportedly ESPN and Fox refused to offer a renewal amount, which reportedly spooked OU and Texas that their might not be the same amount of money available from the Big 12 TV package in 2025.
After they made the decision to leave the conference, it was widely reported that best case the TV income without OU and Texas would be half of what it is today. Later a story came out that showed an estimate of only a $5 million decrease, but that's still less money than what is received today.