Statement from Holder on football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 24, 2011
What kind of relationships does Holder have with players? What kind of relationships does Hargis have with students? Are these two developing good relationships, or are they distant and uncaring?

And just how complicit are these two in the domestic abuse problems our campus and athletic programs are having? Have they played a part in this culture of abuse? And has Burns allowed the obvious systemic racism that we are told about on campus.

Maybe we need to do an investigation of these two. Interview players and students. Ask for allegations about them. This appears to be how they think things should be done.

Sep 23, 2010
Holder/Weiberg: Chuba, can you tell me some of the things you find racists that Coach Gundy has done?

Chuba: I don't want to get into specifics, but we need change.

Holder/Weiberg: Well has he said anything or done anything that would be considered racially charged?

Chuba: I don't really want to talk about anything he has said or hasn't said. I just want everyone to be able to use their platform for change.

Holder/Weiberg: No specific examples for us to use regarding racism?

Chuba: Nothing specific. We just need change.

Holder/Weiberg: What changes would you like to see?

Chuba: Nothing specific. We just need change. Haven't you been watching the news?

Holder/Weiberg: Well we have to address something after all this went down. Do you have anything for us?

Chuba: I just wish Coach would listen more, get to know the players more and understand some of the things we would like to do.

Holder/Weiberg: Ok, thanks Chuba.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I think this will ultimately be a good thing. I always found it really odd when Gundy would say guy's #'s in interviews instead of their actual names. Like......it made me wonder if he even knew their names. That said, it's gotta be tough to know 100+ guys when they change every semester. But I can also understand how a guy that's been here several years and is a star player could get upset by coach calling you "14" in an interview about how the game went.

Gundy has also mentioned multiple times that he doesn't expect 12 hr days 7 days a week from his coaches. He wants them to have time for their families. I respect that. But I think when you're coaching a P5 school with as much investment as OSU has put in, and you're making the kind of money that Gundy and his assistants make, I can understand the expectation that you need to put in more time like other programs do. It sucks, but it comes with the territory of coaching a major program.

IMHO, I think the "disconnect" is really due to a perfect storm of factors.
Gundy wanting a family-first culture for his coaches (a really good thing for the coaches, not great for player relationships and recruiting efforts)
Gundy's personality being extremely cavalier (good at times, bad at times)
Gundy's pretty far right leaning politics (nothing inherently wrong with this)

Combine all that with the cultural moment we're in, and it was almost inevitable. Unfortunate, but inevitable.

I'm probably one of the most vocal "Gundy haters" on this board, but this whole sh!^storm appears to be a combination of mostly benign (or good) factors that all combined perfectly against him due to the politically charged climate we're seeing right now. He definitely left himself open for attack, but the extent of the allegations were way overblown.

Best case scenario: Gundy shifts his priorities a little more towards caring for his players as individuals, spends more effort on recruiting, and he learns how to tone it down a bit with the press. Sure, be yourself. Be wacky at times. Be a Trump supporter. Watch OAN. But learn how to be an ambassador instead of a spectacle.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Holder/Weiberg: Chuba, can you tell me some of the things you find racists that Coach Gundy has done?

Chuba: I don't want to get into specifics, but we need change.

Holder/Weiberg: Well has he said anything or done anything that would be considered racially charged?

Chuba: I don't really want to talk about anything he has said or hasn't said. I just want everyone to be able to use their platform for change.

Holder/Weiberg: No specific examples for us to use regarding racism?

Chuba: Nothing specific. We just need change.

Holder/Weiberg: What changes would you like to see?

Chuba: Nothing specific. We just need change. Haven't you been watching the news?

Holder/Weiberg: Well we have to address something after all this went down. Do you have anything for us?

Chuba: I just wish Coach would listen more, get to know the players more and understand some of the things we would like to do.

Holder/Weiberg: Ok, thanks Chuba.
some among us will defend anything.

Sep 23, 2010
some among us will defend anything.
Every coach, myself included, works to have better relationships every year. This statement was really nothing but had to say something after the racial allegations were proven untrue. I'm not sure what I am defending.

I basically just took the First Take intererview and substituted Holder/Weiberg for StephenA/Max

Apr 14, 2009
We should strive as a country do not just be not racist. We should strive to be anti-racist.

I can tell you that when Les Miles was coaching and my son who played for him. He not only knew his name he knew my name and my wife’s name and his grandparents name also. The mullet needed a bitch slap to wake up. I hope he got it.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
What kind of relationships does Holder have with players? What kind of relationships does Hargis have with students? Are these two developing good relationships, or are they distant and uncaring?

And just how complicit are these two in the domestic abuse problems our campus and athletic programs are having? Have they played a part in this culture of abuse? And has Burns allowed the obvious systemic racism that we are told about on campus.

Maybe we need to do an investigation of these two. Interview players and students. Ask for allegations about them. This appears to be how they think things should be done.
Don't know what relationship Holder has with his student-athletes, but chances are it's likely better than Gundy's relationship with his players. Same with Hargis and his students. Holder has been good for OSU athletics. Better question is why Gundy and Holder have such a disconnect? I mean I've heard Boynton, Kenny Gajeweski (softball), Chirs Young (women's tennis), Alan Bratton (golf), Colin Carmichael (soccer), John Smith (wrestling), Jim Littell (W. Basketball), Dave Smith (Track & Field), and Larry Sanchez (Equestrian) rave about his leadership and how wonderful it is to work for him. They also get along with him as well, but for some reason Gundy is the only coach on campus that butt heads with Holder?? Probably b/c Holder won't bow down and kick his ass like the B.O.R. does. The B.O.R. aren't used to winning so they let Gundy walk over them and cave to every demand he wants even holding the university hostage in the process...smdh!!!

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Huhh h hh because its FOOTBALL and not soccer tennis, softball. The Football coach is usually the most powerful coach on any campus., So not surprising that the AD and most powerful coach have Alpha-male issues. pretty simple.

If you're a bball school . . . i bet Self has free rein over at KU.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Huhh h hh because its FOOTBALL and not soccer tennis, softball. The Football coach is usually the most powerful coach on any campus., So not surprising that the AD and most powerful coach have Alpha-male issues. pretty simple.

yeah...you missed the point. No one saying football coaches aren't the most powerful....that's stating the obvious genius. Maybe you didn't know this, but you can have an ego, and still work well with your boss. Gundy's is simply much larger than most coaches for whatever reason. What you're doing like most Gundy apologist is simply making excuses for him. Name a place where the football and AD constantly butting heads....I'll wait. Most football programs including the elite like an OU, Clemson, Bama, Ohio St, etc....the HC and the AD are on the same page. How many football coaches hold their universities hostage, especially their own Alma Mater? I'm going to assume not many.

In terms of Self...comparing Self to Gundy is funny. Self has a longer leash b/c he win championships, while Gundy's leash is longer b/c he wins 6 games and becomes bowl eligible. Self actually gets it done in the big games...while Gundy constantly pisses down his pants. I don't remember Self holding Kansas hostage for personal gain either, but I digress. I get it, he's the greatest football coach in our history, and I have no issues saying that, but some of the enabling fans do for this man is unbelievable lol.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
The contract adjustments are interesting. Coach Gundy suggested a $1 million pay cut, shortening the length from 5 years to 4 years, and reducing the buyout guarantee from 75% to 50%. It appears that he's doing everything possible to prove that he's committed to changing and making things work.

As crazy as it sounds, this entire ordeal could end up being beneficial to our football program in the long run.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
We should strive as a country do not just be not racist. We should strive to be anti-racist.

I can tell you that when Les Miles was coaching and my son who played for him. He not only knew his name he knew my name and my wife’s name and his grandparents name also. The mullet needed a bitch slap to wake up. I hope he got it.
Gundy knows his players names. Using their numbers as a reference is a coaching tool. It reinforces the idea every position and opportunity is not player specific, but open to a roster of numbers. Coaches have been doing that since the beginning of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Gundy knows his players names. Using their numbers as a reference is a coaching tool. It reinforces the idea every position and opportunity is not player specific, but open to a roster of numbers. Coaches have been doing that since the beginning of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The time it stuck out to me he mentioned a few players by name then seemed unable to recall a name and used the number.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net

That’s about to come to a crashing end...