Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 4, Vegan edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
We left 10-20 points off the field as well.. we wouldn’t be in any CFP talks If we had won anyway... not until late nov anyway
Yep. As much as I wish we won the game, the narrative would not have been about us. It would have been about the Big XII being down this year since Texas got beat.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The ONLY thing I can think of is that we place too much emphasis on the safety's position. Playing deep on Wallace = run. Well, that's fine if you have success but if not, change your read.

We should have done short passes to get the LBs into pass coverage, then hit them with Chuba.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
A couple of statistical items that quantify what we all saw last night:

On 9 plays run within the UT 10 we attempted 0 passes. On the first 21 snaps from the UT 22, or closer, we attempted 2 passes.

We've got too much skill at QB and receiver to be so 1 dimensional about our attack. We did finally see a couple of throws to the TE (I think 2). We completed both for an 11 yard average.
PA pass to the TE in goal-to-go.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
They’re right. If they can field a punt, they probably blow us out. They played like crap and Gundy blew a golden opportunity. Now instead of being the talk of CFB for the next week, it’s going to be another season of fighting for bowl eligibility.
We left 10-20 points off the field as well.. we wouldn’t be in any CFP talks If we had won anyway... not until late nov anyway
I didn’t say anything about the playoff. That’s a pipe dream we aren’t even close to as a program. I’d just like to listen to college football talk radio and hear our name mentioned.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We must have more than 1 receiver to throw to. To watch that game, or listen to Gundy, you wouldn't think so.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
What’s funny is reading ut fans’ perception of this game. We’re sooo lucky this game wasn’t a blowout...Texas fans make it hard for me to cheer them on in the RRR
We need to be Texas fans in the Red River Shootout. Screw political correctness. It’s the RRS. And we need to beat OU. I want a rematch with Texas in the conference championship game. By the end of the season they won’t have any defensive players left due to injuries.
OU will curb stomp the Shorthorns. The Gooners will score every time they have the ball. I predict a score along the lines of 48-24.

Aug 16, 2012
We must have more than 1 receiver to throw to. To watch that game, or listen to Gundy, you wouldn't think so.
From the game thread earlier today.
The hell with that, why could they not get the ball to the other receivers? What is the worst that could happen?

A 50-yard strike? Oops.

2-2 for an 11-yard average? Oops.

Picking up key 3-and-long yards to sustain drives? Oops.

This offense is the living, breathing manifestation of the old adage commonly attributed to Einstein.....Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Posted this yesterday in the game thread, but figured I would post it here as well if anyone was interested.

This is a long post, so feel free to TL;DR me on this one.

Total Offensive Plays: 89
Rushing = 57 (64%)
Passing = 32 (36%)
Note: I changed the shovel pass where Stoner lost 9 yards to a run, since to me that's what it was.

I was particularly interested in our 1st down play calling and how we used our non-WRs in the passing game. So...

Passing to non-WRs
By my count, we targeted non-WRs (7) times. (3) went to Hubbard, and (4) split between the Cowboy Backs. Which accounted for 22% of our pass attempts. Not bad, actually, but with how Texas was daring us to pass, I think we could have utilized them even more. Jelani was open several times when Sanders threw downfield to a WR instead. I did not count the shovel pass to Jelani on the fake FG attempt.

1st down play calling
Rushing Attempts = 32
Passing Attempts = 8
We ran on 1st down 80% (!!!!!!!) of the time. In the 2nd half, when Gundy said they need to "mix it up", we ran 13 times on 1st down versus passing 5 times, so we went from running 80% of the time to running 72% of the time. Our predictability on 1st down is bonkers. Also, 14 of our (32) 1st down rushing plays resulted in 2 yards or less. That's nearly 44% of the time that we're starting a series of downs behind the chains.

Condensed game notes
1st Half:
Drive 1 [FG] - Mixed it up and scored points. Should have done this the whole game.
Drive 2 [PUNT] - Dropped pass on 3rd down
Drive 3 [INT] - Freshman QB mistake
Drive 4 [FG] - Got cute, then stupid
Drive 5 [TD] - Spencer Sanders
Drive 6 [PUNT] - Texas bails us out with muffed punt
Drive 7 [TD] - Punched it in!

2nd Half:
Drive 1 [FG] - Spencer Sanders can run
Drive 2 [DOWNS] - Should have kicked the FG. <----This, to me, was the pivotal point in the game for us.
Drive 3 [DOWNS] - Should have kicked another FG
Drive 4 [INT] - Desperation mode begins; Players feel sense of urgency, coaches don't
Drive 5 [PUNT] - Real desperation mode begins
Drive 6 [PUNT] - Couldn't put it together, but Texas muffs ANOTHER PUNT!

Drive 7 [TD] - Spencer Sander is a bigger competitor than our coaches

Drives 2-6 in the second half was a BRUTAL stretch with a mix of penalties, bad play calls, and poor execution. Texas did their level best to keep us in this one, but our coaches were even more determined than the Texas team to keep us out of it.

Expanded notes (TL;DR)
1st Half:
When asked by the sideline reporter what Gundy's plan for success was, he stated that we had to be able to rush the ball. Best I can count, we ran about 61% of the time in the first half, even though Texas was committed to stopping the run. Dumb.

Drive 1 [FG] - Mixed it up and scored points. Should have done this the whole game.
5 runs / 4 passes
Notes: Great creativity and mixing up the run and pass, including a beautifully executed fake WR screen to the right then hit an open WR down the seam. Then inexplicably tried 3 runs in the redzone and were forced to kick the FG.
Coaching Grade: B
Execution Grade: A

Drive 2 [PUNT] - Dropped pass on 3rd down
2 runs / 1 pass
Notes: The only thing to remember about this drive was the perfectly placed ball dropped by Stoner :-(
Coaching Grade: A
Execution Grade: C

Drive 3 [INT] - Freshman QB mistake
1 run / 2 passes
Notes: Promising start to the drive ended with a freshman QB mistake. Everyone saw it and knows SS should have run on that play. He'll learn from that.
Coaching = A
Execution = C+

Drive 4 [FG] - Got cute, then stupid
4 runs / 3 passes
Notes: Poorly executed jet sweep resulted in -9 yards, then we followed it up with TERRIBLE zone run play to the short side of the field on 3rd and 8 for a loss of another 4 yards.
Coaching Grade = F
Execution Grade = C+

Drive 5 [TD] - Spencer Sanders
5 runs / 1 pass
Notes: The main story of this drive was the incredible 55 yard bomb to Braydon Johnson and the 7 yard scramble for the TD by SS. Sanders put the team on his back and willed them to this TD.
Coaching Grade = B+
Execution Grade = A++

Drive 6 [PUNT] - Texas bails us out with muffed punt
6 runs / 4 passes
Notes: Looked overall like a promising drive that got screwed up by a sack/fumble.
Coaching Grade = B+
Execution Grade = C+

Drive 7 [TD] - Punched it in!
3 runs / 1 pass
Notes: It was good to see us punch it in from 1 yard line.
Coaching Grade = B+
Execution Grade = A

2nd Half
When asked by the sideline reporter what adjustments needed to made, apparently Gundy said we needed to mix it up more on offense and take what Texas gives us. [laugh out loud]

Drive 1 [FG] - Spencer Sanders can run
9 runs! / 1 pass
Notes: Designed QB runs started happening, and Sanders is good enough to make plays. Also, Texas bailed us out with a personal foul penalty midway through the drive.
Coaching Grade = C+
Execution Grade = A

Drive 2 [DOWNS] - Should have kicked the FG
5 runs / 6 pass
Notes: We should have kicked the FG here. We were down 23-28, and it would have pulled us to within 2. I was not a fan of going for it. I was even less a fan of the call. Really bad 4th&1 play call to run right into a loaded box.
Coaching Grade = F
Execution Grade = C

Drive 3 [DOWNS] - Should have kicked another FG
2 runs / 1 pass
Notes: The interception set us up with fantastic field position. We HAD to get points, here. And we failed.
Coaching Grade = F-
Execution Grade = C

Drive 4 [INT] - Desperation mode begins; Players feel sense of urgency, coaches don't
5 runs / 2 passes
Notes: We were down 16 at this point, near the end of the 3rd quarter. We were moving the ball, but running too much, and a false start killed some brief momentum. Then a good play by Texas defenders killed the drive.
Coaching Grade = C
Execution Grade = B

Drive 5 [PUNT] - Real desperation mode begins.
1 run / 2 passes
Notes: Really started to feel the pressure, but just didn't execute the plays.
Coaching Grade = B
Execution Grade = C

Drive 6 [PUNT] - Couldn't put it together, but Texas muffs ANOTHER PUNT!
3 runs / 2 passes
Notes: Started nice, but killed by two incomplete passes. Until Texas gave us another gift in their second muffed punt of the game.
Coaching Grade = C+
Execution Grade = C

Drive 7 [TD] - Spencer Sander is a bigger competitor than our coaches
3 runs / 4 passes
Notes: The big note is the insane run by Sanders. Just a stunning display of heart and will to win. That, and nearly half of our passes to non-WRs for the game came on this drive (3 out of 7 targets).
Coaching Grade = C+
Execution Grade = A++

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Total Offensive Plays: 89
Rushing = 57 (64%)
Passing = 32 (36%)
Note: I changed the shovel pass where Stoner lost 9 yards to a run, since to me that's what it was.

Passing to non-WRs
By my count, we targeted non-WRs (7) times. (3) went to Hubbard, and (4) split between the Cowboy Backs. Which accounted for 22% of our pass attempts. Not bad, actually, but with how Texas was daring us to pass, I think we could have utilized them even more. Jelani was open several times when Sanders threw downfield to a WR instead. I did not count the shovel pass to Jelani on the fake FG attempt.

1st down play calling
Rushing Attempts = 32
Passing Attempts = 8
We ran on 1st down 80% (!!!!!!!) of the time. In the 2nd half, when Gundy said they need to "mix it up", we ran 13 times on 1st down versus passing 5 times, so we went from running 80% of the time to running 72% of the time. Our predictability on 1st down is bonkers. Also, 14 of our (32) 1st down rushing plays resulted in 2 yards or less. That's nearly 44% of the time that we're starting a series of downs behind the chains.

There's enough here that there is going to be something to disagree with, but the data is useful. The 32 runs on first down really highlights what we were all yelling at our TV's about.

Sep 16, 2019
Austin
In case anyone cares, a take from the alternate sideline:
- Sanders is the devil to catch/tackle. I was at the game watching the defense take the wrong angle every.single.time they pursued him. And most of the tackles were drag-downs where he managed to fall forward. He did take a few punishing hits, though, that might not serve him well long-term.

- His first INT looked like it slipped out of his hand, but I have not watched a replay. It had an odd wobble and seemed to carry in the wind. It didn't look so much like a bad throw decision (there was an open man) as much as a bad execution. It will be interesting to see how he develops over the year (and coming years).

- For the life of me, I can't figure out why teams try to 'run first' on UT. Our D-line and LBs are quite serviceable, whereas our secondary is young, injured, and not all the scary to start with. I know Sanders was under pressure, but our recent history has shown that most teams manage to find open receivers pretty quick.

- I think OSU ran a decent defensive plan. UT has thrived on long, sustained drives this year, generally going to 3rd down on almost every set of chains. If an opponent can force a penalty or negative play, then it is tough for UT to make up big yardage. I suppose that OSU could have pressed more, especially for the passes out to the receivers on the swing pass, but that does open up the possibility of the big play, ofc. I can't say exactly what OSU was trying to do the pressure Ehlinger, but that needs some work of some kind.

- Ehlinger is not a superstar by any stretch (despite the press) but he is an excellent game manager who limits risk. That was his first INT of the year and only 1/2 his fault. Excepting that last play, OSU did a pretty good job of keeping him in check. He only takes what he is given, generally, and OSU did not give him much.

- I have no idea why a UT player was within 20 yards of that last punt.

- UT appeared to have no one deep on the final onside kick. I know OSU almost recovered the 'traditional' onside, but I wonder if there is a check-down to pooch it over the top since there is no one there to fair catch it? OSU would at least be heading the right way to cover the ball.

- I know Texas is no juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination, but OSU is not nearly so bad as the posts on here would have people think. My take-away is that the biggest thing OSU needs to do is give the QB a little more time than they got in this game or put in some more screens to slow a rush. I do not think UTs front seven is better than ISU or KSU on any given day.

I am not trolling by posting on the board, I tend to read through the posts prior to games to see what the strength/weakness the other side is seeing, and to learn the names/styles of the players prior to the games. It was a great game to watch and both sides played hard.