Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 8, Dancing not allowed Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Offense: D
I said after the Tech game that Sanders' turnover problem wasn't going to be an easy fix. When things break down he will revert to instinct, and unfortunately his instinct is loose with the ball. He seldom progresses past the first read and either forces the ball in the the first option or takes off running when other options may be open. He consistently under-throws long balls. Let's face it, he's just not very good right now. That certainly doesn't mean that he won't be good eventually. He reminds more of Bobby Reid than Zac Robinson, except Reid had a much stronger arm. The offensive line is beat up right now and simply not producing. All our receivers are struggling to get open, which doesn't help Sanders. Hubbard and Brown did a lot to get past the line of scrimmage because either holes weren't there and they had to find running room, or they closed quickly and the backs were dragging tacklers for 4 yards. It certainly isn't the same line we saw in the first 3 games.

Defense: F
Was our plan not to cover the middle of the field? Was our plan to have running backs in open space once they got past the first level? What the freak were our safeties doing in either run support or pass support, were they even on the field? Is Bedford coaching the secondary again, because they scattered like cockroaches when the light comes on. I almost gave this a WTF instead of an F.

Special Teams: B
Blocked extra point, successful fake punt, decent coverage.

Coaching: D
It didn't appear that anything got fixed at halftime. It's possible that we simply couldn't fix the problems at halftime and that's why I gave it a D instead of an F.

Throwback helmets: A+
Those things were gorgeous. I drew that logo on everything I had in high school. I only wish the helmets had been burnt orange as they were in the 70s.

Crowd: F
Went silent after Baylor scored on their opening possession and never really recovered.

Overall a pretty poor performance.

The way I see the rest of the season... West Virginia is not very good and Kansas is improved but still bad. We *should* win both of those games. TCU is a possible win as well. We're going to lose next week at Iowa State and OU is going to score 60 on us. I think we finish 7-5.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
How do the coaches get a passing grade? Albeit barely passing?

Everything is on them. Can’t fix anything until that group is sorted out. Every other group grade is a reflection of them.

Ineptitude is all that come coming back to mind. We look totally inept across the board. That starts at the top. That’s not just this game either.

Nov 18, 2011
How do the coaches get a passing grade? Albeit barely passing?

Everything is on them. Can’t fix anything until that group is sorted out. Every other group grade is a reflection of them.

Ineptitude is all that come coming back to mind. We look totally inept across the board. That starts at the top. That’s not just this game either.
Yep, coaching is a debacle on both sides of the ball. Just watch our corners.

Nov 14, 2010
Gundy is a great figure head for OSU

He needs to be our head coach

He has a National brand, he has a reputation of being modern, and his persona brings a lot to OSU.

But....
At the moment he's using all of that to hold OSU hostage with his insistence to hire puppets and then force his coordinators to run his scheme.

He had a guy on staff last year that would finally challenge him in Josh Henson, and he couldnt co exist with him.

Wickline was the same way.

So were the other coordinators that were here for short periods of time.

He wants coaches that will be "yes men", not challenge his authority, then also be loyal.

In turn, he provides a layed back environmnent with fewer expectations placed on them, and more free time than they should expect.

Go to a bowl every year, then win 10 every now and then and all is good in his way of thinking.

The only time Gundy really gets stressed is when he doesn't think they're going to make a bowl.

As long as that is not in jeopardy, the difference between 6 and 9 wins to him is not something that stresses him.

In other words, he has the exact same expectations for OSU as all of our older fans that experienced the 70' and 90's do.

Why?

Because that's the world HE grew up in. That was bred in him the same way its been bred into many of our fans.

The OU fetal position issue is caused by the exact same issue.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
What many of us understand is, that, we had a chance to put Tech, Baylor and KState behind us for a long forseeable future.

We let them off the hook.

Add TCU last year to that list.

As it appears, we are going to lose to KState every other year, and we need to pray Kansas stays down.

Texas is getting closer to being what they should be.

There was nothing we could do about that other than beat them as many times as we could while they were down.

Now....
10 win seasons just became something that are exponentially more difficult.

Each week, now, is coming down to game plan and execution because Baylor and Tech arent pitiful, Texas is better, and we're seeing what happens when we don't have James Washington and Mason Rudolph to bail Gundys schematical issues out.

And.....
We are going to have to go back to scheduling 3 guaranteed wins in the non conference because we let all these guys off the hook.

That... by the way... is the exact kind of scheduling that Gundy has publicly proclaimed that he would prefer.

His mindset is deep into mediocrity, and every time he gets a fireball coach thats gets him outside of his box, he clinches down even harder after they leave.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
The coaching sucks. It's getting worse. Gundy says he cares, but I think the walk is not meeting the talk.

We can find someone that's better, but it will take demanding change and for Holder to find someone that is as fearless without any preset fear of ou or Texas. Someone that can fire up a program and it's players. Someone that can recruit and doesn't use "our culture" to excuse poor recruiting.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Prepare for the cranky Gundy to reappear in the press conferences.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
In other words, he has the exact same expectations for OSU as all of our older fans that experienced the 70' and 90's do.

Why?

Because that's the world HE grew up in. That was bred in him the same way its been bred into many of our fans.
I’m 62 years old and experienced the 70’s and 90’s.

WHAT IN THE HELL MAKES YOU THINK ANYONE IS OKAY WITH THIS?!? :cursing:

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
The coaching sucks. It's getting worse. Gundy says he cares, but I think the walk is not meeting the talk.

We can find someone that's better, but it will take demanding change and for Holder to find someone that is as fearless without any preset fear of ou or Texas. Someone that can fire up a program and it's players. Someone that can recruit and doesn't use "our culture" to excuse poor recruiting.
That’s the thing. I don’t think he has any fear of Texas. Now OU is a different matter entirely.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Prepare for the cranky Gundy to reappear in the press conferences.
I saw his post game presser last night. To summarize, everything is okie dokie fine and he wouldn’t talk about a QB change. I honestly think he believes that and, therefor, he’s going to keep on doing exactly what we saw yesterday. If Chuba goes down we are screwed.

Jul 12, 2004
Stillwater, OK
Offense: D
I said after the Tech game that Sanders' turnover problem wasn't going to be an easy fix. When things break down he will revert to instinct, and unfortunately his instinct is loose with the ball. He seldom progresses past the first read and either forces the ball in the the first option or takes off running when other options may be open. He consistently under-throws long balls. Let's face it, he's just not very good right now. That certainly doesn't mean that he won't be good eventually. He reminds more of Bobby Reid than Zac Robinson, except Reid had a much stronger arm. The offensive line is beat up right now and simply not producing. All our receivers are struggling to get open, which doesn't help Sanders. Hubbard and Brown did a lot to get past the line of scrimmage because either holes weren't there and they had to find running room, or they closed quickly and the backs were dragging tacklers for 4 yards. It certainly isn't the same line we saw in the first 3 games.

Defense: F
Was our plan not to cover the middle of the field? Was our plan to have running backs in open space once they got past the first level? What the freak were our safeties doing in either run support or pass support, were they even on the field? Is Bedford coaching the secondary again, because they scattered like cockroaches when the light comes on. I almost gave this a WTF instead of an F.

Special Teams: B
Blocked extra point, successful fake punt, decent coverage.

Coaching: D
It didn't appear that anything got fixed at halftime. It's possible that we simply couldn't fix the problems at halftime and that's why I gave it a D instead of an F.

Throwback helmets: A+
Those things were gorgeous. I drew that logo on everything I had in high school. I only wish the helmets had been burnt orange as they were in the 70s.

Crowd: F
Went silent after Baylor scored on their opening possession and never really recovered.

Overall a pretty poor performance.

The way I see the rest of the season... West Virginia is not very good and Kansas is improved but still bad. We *should* win both of those games. TCU is a possible win as well. We're going to lose next week at Iowa State and OU is going to score 60 on us. I think we finish 7-5.
I can agree on everything except the burnt orange. Worst mistake OSU ever made.