Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 8, Dancing not allowed Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Here's what I think...We are once again continuing to play the wrong QB...not sure the "right" one is in the fold, but the "wrong one" has been played by Coach Gundy multiple times in the past and this is a continuation of that problem. In fact, I do think that is our problem and not coaching (although arguments can be made that it is coaching that is causing us to pick the wrong ones time and again)...in this game...in the past...and will likely continue to be...at least until that QB is found and he is allowed to make decisions on the field as his talents and abilities allow him as he will have earned the respect. So yesterday we are freaking ahead with 10 minutes left in the game and our QB has the wheels fall off the train...when that happens we lose and lose bad in those last 10 minutes. If we had a Robinson, Weeden, Chelf, Rudolph, heck even Fields...that wouldn't have happened...IMHO, this is just our fact of the matter right now and until we find or recruit a QB this is going to continue to be an issue. I hate that for the young man, but it is what it is...as always it sucks to lose but this is basically the same as ANY slump we always have had under Gundy when we don't have a good QB. Typically when we get or find the right one the slumps stop and pretty fast. We need this one to end. It's always darkest before the dawn.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
The only assessment I have is that something has to change in the coaching staff. We need a new oc and dc or a new HC. Personally I feel the time has come to start exploring option #3.

I personally am starting to wonder if Brent Venables would like to move closer to his childhood home and get some payback on the University of Oklahoma.

Nov 14, 2010
If you have to have better players than Chuba Hubbard, Tylan Wallace and Spencer Sanders for your offense to be successful against Big 12 defenses, then your offensive system isn't good.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
How do the coaches get a passing grade? Albeit barely passing?

Everything is on them. Can’t fix anything until that group is sorted out. Every other group grade is a reflection of them.

Ineptitude is all that come coming back to mind. We look totally inept across the board. That starts at the top. That’s not just this game either.
Because the center of the problem is our redshirt freshman QB, and there is nothing we can do to make him an experienced junior or senior. The reason we are left with a RSF QB is the same reason we were left with a 5th year senior former walk-on last year, Yurcich's recruiting failures. It would be unfair to grade Gleeson down for Yurcich's failure.

We had hoped that Sanders would be ready this year, but he clearly isn't. Changing OCs likely didn't help. Just like last year we have to bite the bullet on this one.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
The only assessment I have is that something has to change in the coaching staff. We need a new oc and dc or a new HC. Personally I feel the time has come to start exploring option #3.

I personally am starting to wonder if Brent Venables would like to move closer to his childhood home and get some payback on the University of Oklahoma.
Our OC is what, 7 games in? He hasn't had a full year to recruit yet. We have a new o-line coach and have had injuries on the o-line. Changing OCs again will set us further back.

Venables isn't going to come back to be DC.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
All our receivers are struggling to get open, which doesn't help Sanders.
I mostly focus on what is going on with ball during a play and not scanning the field, so I don't notice what's going on with the receivers. I was driving home last night listening to the Sports Animal post game with Rashaun Woods and they were talking about receivers are getting open, Sanders just isn't throwing to them because he either doesn't have confidence he can make the throw or he's forcing things to happen by always going to his first target or running. Either way, bad decision making.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Our OC is what, 7 games in? He hasn't had a full year to recruit yet. We have a new o-line coach and have had injuries on the o-line. Changing OCs again will set us further back.

Venables isn't going to come back to be DC.
I said option #3 which would be the third option involving the position referred to as HC.

how Good of players does our OC need? Holgy did pretty good with other guys players as did Lincoln Riley down south if memory serves. That said I really don’t think the OC is the real problem here (other than he won’t stand up for himself it appears)

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I mostly focus on what is going on with ball during a play and not scanning the field, so I don't notice what's going on with the receivers. I was driving home last night listening to the Sports Animal post game with Rashaun Woods and they were talking about receivers are getting open, Sanders just isn't throwing to them because he either doesn't have confidence he can make the throw or he's forcing things to happen by always going to his first target or running. Either way, bad decision making.
Yes, he really isn't progressing past the first option. If that guy isn't open he either tries to force it into an incredibly small window (interceptions) or he takes off running (fumbles).

It's hard to see receivers on TV other than the guy the ball is thrown at, so that's what I'm basing "struggling to get open" on... really, how often the play breaks down and Sanders takes off running.

Yep, bad decision making. Our o-line isn't helping, we need to get healthy in a hurry. Bad o-line play will make everything look worse.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I'll add, if Sanders decision to run would be quicker he would be better off, but he's holding on to the ball and doesn't commit to the run quick enough. That was the basic problem with Bobby Reid, just holding on to the ball and not committing to a decision. That's why he got pounded in that game in Athens, and eventually got replaced by ZR.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I'll add, if Sanders decision to run would be quicker he would be better off, but he's holding on to the ball and doesn't commit to the run quick enough. That was the basic problem with Bobby Reid, just holding on to the ball and not committing to a decision. That's why he got pounded in that game in Athens, and eventually got replaced by ZR.
My one memory of Bobby Reid was him repeatedly throwing it into the dirt in Athens. Other than that, I don't have my memories of his short stint of playing.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
lol that people think our OC is calling these plays. Gundy is in the headset for the whole offensive series every time I've seen. He's calling this offense.

Feb 18, 2009
Because the center of the problem is our redshirt freshman QB, and there is nothing we can do to make him an experienced junior or senior. The reason we are left with a RSF QB is the same reason we were left with a 5th year senior former walk-on last year, Yurcich's recruiting failures. It would be unfair to grade Gleeson down for Yurcich's failure.

We had hoped that Sanders would be ready this year, but he clearly isn't. Changing OCs likely didn't help. Just like last year we have to bite the bullet on this one.
Isn’t being in this QB situation also on the coaches? I don’t disagree with any of your other assessments I just don’t see how you give that staff even a D minus. This is bigger than just yesterday.

Feb 18, 2009
If you have to have better players than Chuba Hubbard, Tylan Wallace and Spencer Sanders for your offense to be successful against Big 12 defenses, then your offensive system isn't good.
I think you posted elsewhere, it’s not even “our system” anymore. Our stinger was the offense. We can’t get the horses to run the kind of plays were running now. We’re not a blue blood top 10 recruiting team year in and year out. We have insanely special athletes and we can’t find a way to leverage them. This program will never reach the Heights it thought it could if we don’t go back to what Gundy originally brought to town which was perfect for Oklahoma State. He was absolutely correct in his shift when he took over, and now he’s gone away from it. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I saw a comment on another board, “we’re a boring team, playing for a boring head coach, playing in front of bored fans.” Damn shame.

Last edited: