Talk me down from my football expectations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
I'll talk you down with two words: off season.

There are a lot of pick up basketball games for blown knees, summer parties for DUI and possession issues, etc prior to the season. Always interesting with kids.
I'll match your two words, and up the ante: Stills Brothers.

Aug 16, 2012
Spencer Sanders ia about to get really Bad Ass!
Not to derail the thread, but have been thinking about this for a while.

What happens with Costello. "Just" a 3-star kid but supposed to be a pretty salty player (he had really good press during last spring's scrimmage if I recall). Seems to be firmly seated behind Sanders and if Illingworth is what he is billed to be, he will probably be behind him as well. Does he go portal?

What if Illingworth comes in and lights up the field and gets the nod. Does Sanders go portal?

What if Illingworth plays well but gets a RS and Sanders starts for the next three years. Is Illingworth willing to sit for three years for the shot at two years of being the starter or does he go portal?

Great problem to have, but honestly wonder about the chances all three stay through their eligibility.

Nov 14, 2010
Not to derail the thread, but have been thinking about this for a while.

What happens with Costello. "Just" a 3-star kid but supposed to be a pretty salty player (he had really good press during last spring's scrimmage if I recall). Seems to be firmly seated behind Sanders and if Illingworth is what he is billed to be, he will probably be behind him as well. Does he go portal?

What if Illingworth comes in and lights up the field and gets the nod. Does Sanders go portal?

What if Illingworth plays well but gets a RS and Sanders starts for the next three years. Is Illingworth willing to sit for three years for the shot at two years of being the starter or does he go portal?

Great problem to have, but honestly wonder about the chances all three stay through their eligibility.
Just my opinion and I have no information other than comments that Robert Allen has made about this exact situation....

I know, it's Robert Allen, but I happened to buy imto his position on Illingsworth

But.... .Robert point blank said....
Illingsworth will not sit behind Sanders

If it becomes clear that he is going to be behind Sanders until Sanders graduates, he will go somewhere else.

This kid is a big time talent and will not sit and wait to pay that talent off.

In terms of what would happen if Sanders drops below Illingsworth......

Well.....that would be a cluster.....
As highly as that kid was thought of in Texas, if he doesn't pan out, that will be a pretty big black eye for OSU in the eyes of coaches in Texas.

It will take A lot for Illingsworth to dethrone him.

But....if that were to happen, it surely wouldn't be this year, just simply based on Gundy's comments about qb's needing 15 games etc....and Sanders will be at that 15 games by the 3rd week this year.

And....Sander's has used his redshirt, so, if he did transfer, he would have to sit a year and only have 1 year left to play after he became eligible.

That would be a very tough decision for him

It's different if you're a grad transfer and immediately eligible, because you can assess what that team has coming back that next year.

It's much harder to predict what the qb room would look like 2 seasons later, just to play 1 year.

I think he would go, but it won't be cut and dry for him like it will be for Illingsworth.

In terms of Costello
I think the sweat equity of competing at this level on a daily basis was a pretty good eye opener for him this year

I could be wrong on that, but I have come to that conclusion by just putting 2 and 2 together about his situation.

I don't see any way he is ever the #1 guy here, and I don't think he will stay and be a career backup either

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Just my opinion and I have no information other than comments that Robert Allen has made about this exact situation....

I know, it's Robert Allen, but I happened to buy imto his position on Illingsworth

If it becomes clear that he is going to be behimd Sanders until Sanders graduates, he will go somewhere else.

In terms of what would happen if Sanders drops below Illungsworth......

As highly as that kid was thought of in Texas, if he doesn't pan out, that will be a pretty big black eye for OSU in the eyes of coaches in Texas.

But....if that were to happen, it surely wouldn't be this year, just simply based on Gundy's conments about qb's needing 15 games etc....and Sanders will be at that 15 games by the 3rd week this year.

And....Sander's has used his redshirt, so, if he did transfer, he would have to sit a year and only have 1 year left to play after he became eligible.

It's different iw you're a grad transfer and immediately eligible, because you can assess what that team has coming back that next year.

It's much harder to predict what the qb room would look like 2 seasons later, just to play 1 year.

I think he would go, but ot won't be cut and dry for him loke it will be for Illingsworth.

In terms of Costello
I think the sweat equity of competing at this level on a daily basis was a pretty good eye opener for him this year

I cpuld be wrong on that, but I have come to that conclusion by just putting 2 and 2 together about hos situation.

I don't see any way he is ever the #1 guy here, and I don't think he will stay and be a career backup either
Lot's of QB's in the transfer portal, so that appears to be a typical move - if not named the starter, move to a school where you can be. It's why you have to try to recruit a good one every year.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think we need two VERY good QB's in the fold always...Weeden was behind ZR on the two deep but maybe only 3rd. Chelf and Walsh were back and forth as starters. When our running QB's, like ZR and Walsh, got hurt we filled in equal or greater talent and the rest is history. Just looking at our QB history under Gundy, there is very good reason for a guy like Illingsworth to stay no matter what. If he's the talent we think he is, he will rise to the top, but only when it's supposed to happen. Plus the young man has family here in state and I think that had a lot to do with his decision. So I think he's more stable than a guy that has no ties.

Go Pokes!

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

If it becomes clear that he is going to be behimd Sanders until Sanders graduates, he will go somewhere else.

In terms of what would happen if Sanders drops below Illungsworth......

But....if that were to happen, it surely wouldn't be this year, just simply based on Gundy's conments about qb's needing 15 games etc....and Sanders will be at that 15 games by the 3rd week this year.

It's different iw you're a grad transfer and immediately eligible, because you can assess what that team has coming back that next year.

I think he would go, but ot won't be cut and dry for him loke it will be for Illingsworth.

In terms of Costello

I cpuld be wrong on that, but I have come to that conclusion by just putting 2 and 2 together about hos situation.

When did RA say Illingsworth won’t sit behind Sanders? Do you have a link or something to that?

And what’s the context? That he expects to start as a true freshman or else he is transferring? At what point in his career will he refuse to sit behind Sanders?

Nov 14, 2010
I think we need two VERY good QB's in the fold always...Weeden was behind ZR on the two deep but maybe only 3rd. Chelf and Walsh were back and forth as starters. When our running QB's, like ZR and Walsh, got hurt we filled in equal or greater talent and the rest is history. Just looking at our QB history under Gundy, there is very good reason for a guy like Illingsworth to stay no matter what. If he's the talent we think he is, he will rise to the top, but only when it's supposed to happen. Plus the young man has family here in state and I think that had a lot to do with his decision. So I think he's more stable than a guy that has no ties.

Go Pokes!
Agreed, but with the Portal, and the ability that players now have to know what their alternative options are, having 2 VERY good qb's that both have been in the program for multiple years is becoming increasingly difficult.

You're going to most likely have either/or between extremely talented kids that are new to the program and haven't transferred yet, or older players that are career backups.

Getting a kid like Illingsworth to stick around and bide his time is becoming a very, very difficult thing to do.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
When did RA say Illingsworth won’t sit behind Sanders? Do you have a link or something to that?

And what’s the context? That he expects to start as a true freshman or else he is transferring? At what point in his career will he refuse to sit behind Sanders?
On his radio show

The context was.... as I stated.... That, when/if Illingsworth realizes that he is not going to dethrone Sanders, and, thus, is going to have to wait his turn behind him until Sanders graduates, that he would not stick around and wait.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
On his radio show

The context was.... as I stated.... That, when/if Illingsworth realizes that he is not going to dethrone Sanders, and, thus, is going to have to wait his turn behind him, that he would not stick around and wait.
I don't believe for a minute that RA said that if he doesn't get the start his freshmen year he's transferring. I would bet, however, that RA implied that Illingsworth is so good that he EXPECTS to start and if he doesn't and it goes a year or two he "might" hit the portal. Inferring that he WOULD for sure is IMHO an improper translation of whatever RA said. RA would NEVER say something that would be out of line with the company line. And that would be. We might, however, see one heck of a QB competition this spring and that's good for the team. Go Pokes!

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
On his radio show

The context was.... as I stated.... That, when/if Illingsworth realizes that he is not going to dethrone Sanders, and, thus, is going to have to wait his turn behind him, that he would not stick around and wait.
Again, as I stated, what was the context on how soon?

If he doesn’t dethrone him this season? Next season? 2022?

Nov 14, 2010
I don't believe for a minute that RA said that if he doesn't get the start his freshmen year he's transferring. I would bet, however, that RA implied that Illingsworth is so good that he EXPECTS to start and if he doesn't and it goes a year or two he "might" hit the portal. Inferring that he WOULD for sure is IMHO an improper translation of whatever RA said. RA would NEVER say something that would be out of line with the company line. And that would be.
Okay... believe what you want, but you're more than welcome to call Robert on his show and ask him if he thinks Illingsworth will sit behind Sanders at OSU until Sanders graduates.

Don't misrepresent what was said

Nothing was said about Freshman year or a specific timeline.

Just simply the point in Illlingsworth's career when/if he realizes that he's going to have to wait until Sander's graduates.

Heck.... He could easily get here and realize that he needs a year to mature, Red Shirt, then have the mentality that, after that Red Shirt year, he will beat Sander's out.

Last edited:

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Okay... believe what you want, but you're more than welcome to call Robert on his show and ask him if he thinks Illingsworth will sit behind Sanders at OSU until Sanders graduates.

Just simply the point in Illlingsworth's career when/if he realizes that he's going to have to wait until Sander's graduates.

Heck.... He could easily get here and realize that he needs a year to mature, then have the mentality that, after that year, he will beat Sander's out.

Quit trying so hard.
This is one hell of a backpedal. Or are you just now remembering RA saying all this as well?

How did everyone else miss these tidbits from RA’s show???

Nov 14, 2010
And... by the way.... Those comments are intended to be a compliment to the skill level and mentality that Illingsworth possesses.

Goodness guys

Like I said.... Call in and ask for yourself if RA thinks that Illingsworth will stay at OSU and sit behind Sanders until Sanders graduates.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
You didn’t say anything at all about which season you are referencing. Try harder.
Here is exactly what I said in the original post
"If it becomes clear that he is going to be behind Sanders until Sanders graduates, he will go somewhere else."

Meaning.... the point in Illingsworth career that he realizes that he is going to have to sit behind Sanders until until he graduates.

Again....that's a compliment to Illingworth in how talented he is and how confident in his abilitiies he is.
And....It's also a compliment to Sander's in the fact that Sander's was good enough to hold of a guy that is that talented.

And....It's a win/win for OSU, because if Illingsworth does transfer it means that Sander's was really damn good.

Last edited:

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Here is exactly what I said in the original post
"If it becomes clear that he is going to be behind Sanders until Sanders graduates, he will go somewhere else."

Meaning.... the point in Illingsworth career that he realizes that he is going to have to sit behind Sanders until until he graduates.

You are more than welcome to call Robert and ask him the same question yourself as to whether or not he thinks Illingsworth will stay at OSU and sit behind Sanders until he graduates.

Again....that's a compliment to Illingworth in how talented he is and how confident in his abilitiies he is.
Haha the very first thing you said is that Illingsworth won’t sit behind Sanders...that was point blank it.

And then your statements became convoluted.

So he will sit behind Sanders...he just won’t sit behind him for the full extent of Sanders’s eligibility?

Okay.

Nov 14, 2010
Haha the very first thing you said is that Illingsworth won’t sit behind Sanders...that was point blank it.

And then your statements became convoluted.

So he will sit behind Sanders...he just won’t sit behind him for the full extent of Sanders’s eligibility?

Okay.
No

There is nothing convoluted about this statement.....

So.... as I said....RA said that, when/if illingsworth realizes that he is not going to dethrone Sanders, he will not stay at OSU and sit behind Sanders until he graduates.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Heck.... He could easily get here and realize that he needs a year to mature, then have the mentality that, after that year, he will beat Sander's out.

Quit trying so hard.
This is one hell of a backpedal. Or are you just now remembering RA saying all this as well?

How did everyone else miss these tidbits from RA’s show???
You’re reaching Mike. I understood what bullet was saying after the first post. Most talented QBs aren’t going to sit around and wait for too long when they know are good enough to play somewhere

I would suggest an alternative scenario. What if Illingsworth comes in, opens the coaches eyes and starts stealing Spencer’s playing time? It could be Sanders that leaves. Sort of like Lawerence and Bryant at Clemson.

It’s a problem but it’s one you have to accept if you have talented players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk